Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

D865PERL Recap with Thanks to this Forum!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

D865PERL Recap with Thanks to this Forum!

After experiencing board instability for about 6mo and coming to this forum I decided to recap my MB. Since August I've been looking over the wealth of info here which helped me complete the project and get my board working like a rock again! Never knew anything about the cap problem until I found a couple of bad ones a couple of years ago and then things got unstable. I've attached a list that I made of every cap on my board and what I replaced them with. Hope this helps others that have questions regarding this board. I noticed that some of my original values per the cap physical size most likely don't exist seeing how I bought the board and built the PC in 2001. But I found reading a lot of specs that the design and electrolyte of today is definately superior to what was around in 2001. I used the ESR-micro V4 meter and can't reccommend it enough. Did in-circuit and out of circuit measrements. Found 2 of the 820uf/6.3V "post VRM" caps bad when removed from circuit. One measured "no capacitance value" and another leaked onto the board as I removed it. All of the smaller caps had 2X the ESR value of the new replacements. Also replaced my old 450W Allied PS with the OCZ 500W Mod Stream PRO. It draws 50W less power from the power line now. I also moved to a 3 heatpipe cooler from Vantec VAF9225 and new retention bracket w/ backbrace which keeps the temp under 41 deg C on the 2.8GHz P4 Northwoods. Ran unit as DAW for over 8 years until the instability came. Thanks again especially to the forum leaders!
    Attached Files

Re: D865PERL Recap with Thanks to this Forum!

^ yo, nice... and welcome!!!.... im glad u found helpful info in here, and (imo) ur contribution must help at least someone else... see, thats how i see it, i also like to think that the threads ive made asking for help on a specific mobo have got to help someone else out there too Kudos!

peace.
    We don't have a great war in our generation, or a great depression, but we do, we have a great war of the spirit. We have a great revolution against the culture. The great depression is our lives. We have a spiritual depression.

Comment

P4 2.8C cannot handle 1080 anymore. I discovered that when I tried on 1080 resolution on youtube.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

wouldnt that be down to the gpu/gfx card?
        try *not* using vista or "7" incase it's a load of drm crap causing slowdowns.

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard View Post
          P4 2.8C cannot handle 1080 anymore. I discovered that when I tried on 1080 resolution on youtube.

Cheers, Wizard
          Youtube uses Flash Player which requires a lot more resources. For example, I can run a 720p WMV video just fine on a 2.8GHz P4 and CPU utilization is only around 40-70%. 720p video in Youtube, however, utilizes CPU at 100% all the time and yet still stutters quite often. Some videos are impossible to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
            Youtube uses Flash Player which requires a lot more resources. For example, I can run a 720p WMV video just fine on a 2.8GHz P4 and CPU utilization is only around 40-70%. 720p video in Youtube, however, utilizes CPU at 100% all the time and yet still stutters quite often. Some videos are impossible to watch.
            Youtube has been giving me problems in Firefox, so I loaded Chrome which allows HTML5 player instead of Flash. Limited resolution though, only 360!

Comment

Working...
            X