Another Example of Apple's Superior Operating System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another Example of Apple's Superior Operating System

an ex-friend had a p1 all in one presario. i remember in the win me promo vid (one with the cubes) had the granny using an all-in one. any brand names/models for ubuntu or xubuntu?
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I had an emac (free), replaced the "issue" capacitors near the ram. It booted once then died. I ended up gutting it and keeping the mobo in case I ever feel like reviving it. It was the 1.0ghz model.

Comment

forget it. sounds like fanboyz screwed it for me. idk how much they want but it must be high if they arnt selling any...
        sigpic

Comment

well this thread is probably the most interesting thread I have ever seen in this forum... morphed from gloating about Snow Leopard to security to licensing to open source software and now back to hardware...

I guess I should chime in being probably the other person with recent Mac hardware. And before you make fun of me for owning such a ridiculous product known as the MacBook Pro 15-inch unibody, know that it was given by the University of Washington, and I did NOT pay for it... a good thing too, that was really expensive.

Planned Obsolesence is something Apple has been doing for years... and unfortunately, they did it on my one-year old MacBook Pro. Snow Leopard is literally a pile of dung and so was Leopard. I wish I had Tiger but who cares, RTM Win7's out. And I get it for free under MSDN AA so whatever.

The sad thing is, everything worked better in Vista than in Leopard or Snow Leopard; Cubase 4 (no, I'm not going to pay to upgrade) worked great in Vista along with Sequel and my PreSonus Firebox... Leopard, on the other hand... couldn't be fixed at all, not even with a re-install or wipe/re-install. Not to mention its a pain in the butt to use either app and their plugins on OSX.

For DRM, Apple has shied away from iTunes Store DRM and they are all unprotected AAC. Too bad there's still a TPM inside each Mac. The 64-bit argument was great too; Thanks a lot Apple, for making me waste $29 (no academic discount really after tax) in my hope to have 64-bit work with my 4GB RAM. Thanks for disabling the 64-bit by default because it doesn't work correctly. Great idea, Apple.

Although I didn't really see Vista SP1 suck, SP2 and pre-SP1 blew chunks, but it's a good thing Win7 RC came around SP2's time. The great thing about Windows is that my Media Center actually works, and I love getting HD PVR with my Hauppauge USB stick. Too bad Front Row died a quiet death and never really worked great, lacking TV support.

And yes, I just typed this in Windows 7 Ultimate on my MBP, with NO activation problems ever. In fact, I've never ever had an activation problem, but maybe because I always use the Ultimate editions, whether on my Opteron workstation/server (which also has RAID, I switched from onboard to a PCI-Express card) to this ugly unibody Mac (I must be weird because I like the old aluminum mbps, is what apple geniuses say to me).

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
            forget it. sounds like fanboyz screwed it for me. idk how much they want but it must be high if they arnt selling any...
            emacs are hard to find, they get trashed a lot. if they still sell, i think lamp imacs are the same price if you want to have even more fun

Comment

Originally posted by toastygoodness
              For DRM, Apple has shied away from iTunes Store DRM and they are all unprotected AAC. Too bad there's still a TPM inside each Mac. The 64-bit argument was great too; Thanks a lot Apple, for making me waste $29 (no academic discount really after tax) in my hope to have 64-bit work with my 4GB RAM. Thanks for disabling the 64-bit by default because it doesn't work correctly. Great idea, Apple.
              While I agree with what you said, I'm going to "defend" a bit Apple here. Apple does not use the TPM. In fact, not all Intel Macs even have a TPM chip. Even more, Apple does not even have a driver for the TPM in OSX. Even if you wanted to use the TPM (it's usefull for full disk encryption), you can't under OSX without third party help. Basicaly Apple used motherboards that are more "generic" then they want to admit, so they include a TPM chip as part of the package deal. All the TPM chip's existance does is show that Macs aren't really special or better made then regular PCs. They use the same motherboards with the same junk included, with one addition (see below).

What Intel Macs do have that PCs do not is an SMC chip, or System Management Controller. Nominaly the SMC is a power and fan controller. The first SMCs sucked as fan controlers. This is one of the main reason first gen Macbook Pros have overeheating issues even though they had low heat Core 1 chips in them.

Apple decided to roll thier own fan controler instead of using tried and proven chips already used by PCs. The reason why is DRM. For whatever reason, the OSX DRM (decryption) keys are stored in the SMC chip. Yep, Apple made their own crappy fan controler (which caused a bunch of overheating problems) for the sake of DRM. Beat that MS! :-)

Comment

One other thought on toastygoodness's post. While I've probably mentioned this before, I do actualy work with and own several newer Macs. So there's at least three of us with modern Apple hardware on this board.

At work we have several Intel minis of various generations, plus a couple of Imacs.

At home I have a G5 Imac along with a few older models. I agree 100% with toastygoodness in that Apple are just being jerks about planned obsolesence. While the G5 doens't live up to Apple's lies about speed, it's not a bad machine. There is no reason Snow Leopard could not be made to work well on a G5, espeically with the "optimizations" that it supposedly has over Leopard. A PC from the time of the Imac G5 (late 2004) will run the latest Windows 7 just fine with a RAM upgrade, yet Apple is again leaving it's users out in the cold with Snow Leopoard. And before any fanboys chime in about the "RAM upgrade" comment, an Imac G5 came stock with 256, makeing a RAM upgrade pretty much manditory for ANY version of OSX. Windows of the time (XP) at least had a fighting chance of running reasonably on 256.

Comment

ok my bad i guess they don't have tpms in all of their machines... the smc is close enough. oh definitely the irony of the intel vs. ppc. although i wish they'd bring back the lamp imac, i actually liked those. the smc is retarded and my previous mbp kept overheating and underclocking itself cause the smc would never turn the fan up. apple's boards are proprietary but not in the special kind of way, more like the annoying kind of way. this unibody mac is a pain in the butt to disassemble, and they enjoy using ribbon cables.

Comment

Originally posted by weirdlookinguy View Post
                    I like OS X and everything, but I don't like how often they upgrade and you're left behind in the dust. For example, one of my clients has an old G4 Mac Mini running 10.3. They bought one of the newer iPods, which refuses to work with anything other than the latest version of iTunes. OK no problem, we go to download it and... it won't install, it requires 10.4 or later.
                    What's different in 10.4, compared to 10.3? O_O

Or is it just like some Microsoft stuff, where it checks the version of the OS, Ex., Checks to see if the version is XP or later and if not, it refuses to continue.
                    Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 08-04-2010, 08:01 PM.
                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

why are people reviving long dead threads???? it seems to be a common act lately.
                      sigpic

Comment

boy this thread came back from the dead. oi did i sound like a dumbass a year ago.

Comment

Working...
                        X