Sony KDL-46v5100 TCON Failure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony KDL-46v5100 TCON Failure?

So I did some research and _thought_ my T-con board on my Sony KDL-46v5100 was bad. I bought a replacement on eBay and it's a similar, but slightly different failure. Possibility that both of the boards I have are bad? Something else? If I unplug the LVDS cable & plug it back in, the screen behaves briefly, but the longer the LVDS cable is plugged in or the TV is just left on, the more weirdness occurs.

Thank you!

Re: Sony KDL-46v5100 TCON Failure?

I am starting to think this is likely tab bond failure.. time to take the bezel off.

Comment

where is the edge boards located on this set... top or bottom?
      what's the history of the set and problem?
      Last edited by budwich; 12-12-2018, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Unfortunately no history, picked it up on CL for cheap enough that I figured it was worth a shot. I believe the edge boards are on the bottom

Comment

if they are on the bottom, then "window washing" has great potential for contaminating the panel to edge board connections along with causing issues to the edge boards themselves.

On the top, some sony's have issues whereby the connector of the panel / connections have problems. Does "lightly" flexing the corners / sides of the panel / bezel cause any changes?

Comment

Hi, i had a Samsung 40 inches lcd that was behaving the same way, unfortunately my attempts to repair it have damaged it worse and i trashed it, i suggest you not to dismount any further, this is a typical issue and especially from Samsung screens (check your brand), and it's not related to tab bonds... In the months that are passed since my unsuccess, i have build the hypothesis that the main tcon CHIP ("CPU") suffers from soldering problems, if you are familiar with REFLOWING technique i suggest you and i would like if you:
            1st, connect back the original TCON and show us its defect..
            2nd, you try a reflow of the main chip, it is possible that there are more than 1 big chips, i can try to suggest you wich, but usually its one with heatsink, before warming it, apply a dry spray contact electronic cleaner under the BGA chip keeping the board at 45 degrees and waiting for the dirt to flood down, let it evaporate well, then apply flux , if in paste let it warm a bit to let it pass under it, around the balls, then warm it, the chip at a certain point must move! If it doesn't move increase temperature..
            Last edited by Davi.p; 12-13-2018, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Wonder if maybe someone previously put in or you got the wrong tcon, looks like theres 4 different ones, look closely at the notes in the link, check numbers on tcon white barcode sticker, moreover if someone possibly put wrong one in, go by serial number of tv and panel number. https://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsea...?q=KDL-46v5100

Comment

Obviously when you warm it, you have to touch it very slightly at the corner with a slim tiny tip flat screwdriver to see it move, when you release pressure the chip restore itself in original position..
                Last edited by Davi.p; 12-14-2018, 02:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X