Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus X99 Over heating Capacitor

Hello All
    Im hoping you can help me. I bought an Asus x99 from ebuyer.co.uk to replace a failing motherboard. From the get go it would randomly hang. even if i left it running in the BIOS setup it would hang so i raised an RMA and sent it back to Ebuyer.co.uk however i did forget to install the CPU cover so they returned it to me without even checking it saying i voided there returns policy even thou it was sent back in the original anti static bag and packaging.
    So im stuck with the motherboard. i decided to try and find the fault and found a single capacitor gets RED HOT even too hot to touch. i found this using a temp sensor
    if i direct a fan onto this capacitor the system doesn't halt/hang and its useable. If i take away the FAN it will hang within minutes.
    So i contacted ASUS and explained the situation with Ebuyer.co.uk and stated that the issue is not related to the CPU but this capacitor however they inform me that they no longer take RMAs directly and that i have to go through Ebuyer.co.uk and they are refusing so can you help?

The issue of the hanging seems to be with this overheating capacitor. Is it something i can source and replace and would fix the issue or is the over heating cap a symptom of something else?
    Is there a test i can do on the cap?
    Can i get a replacement? if so what do i order as the numbers dont mean much to me. I do work in IT and can use a soldering iron

The Marking on the Cap are

FP10K 71Cz 101 16

Thank You
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Requiem; 04-13-2019, 09:24 AM.

Re: Asus X99 Over heating Capacitor

Polymer Aluminum Solid Electrolytic Capacitors (FPCAP)
    I believe the FP10k is the original fujitsu series
    71Cz is a lot number, 101 = 100µf, 16 = 16volt
    Fujitsu is now nichicon
    panasonic also makes them
    Nichicon RS8 series I would think would work, I'm sure someone that has replaced these will recommend something

RS81C101MDN1 size = H,9mm; D,6.30mm
    Last edited by R_J; 04-13-2019, 10:04 AM.

Comment

check the mosfets and inductors near the cap. most likely a failed, overheating mosfet and/or inductor is the root cause of whats causing the cap to overheat. replacing the cap wont fix the issue unless the bad mosfet/inductor is fixed first.

Comment

You may also want to check your power supply, If the caps on the power supply 12v line are bad, this could cause the cap on the motherboard to try and do all the filtering, and it can't handle it., maybe that was the cause of the other board failure too?

Comment

Hi
          Thank you all for the replies. It seems its not just the capacitor thatoverheats. Those 2 black square components also overheat. If i put a heat sink on them and take the fan away the pc run a few more mnutes but again the capacitor gets red hot and hangs. So i think your right its not just a capacitor issue. not sure where i can go from here

Thanks

Comment

It could also be that one of those ceramic capacitors around the area are shorted causing the circuit to basically work at over 100% and overheating...

The reason I say this is because it seems the motherboard actually starts and works for some time if you cool it, so if a mosfet was dead, I'd suspect that circuit would not power anything or cause your power supply to turn off due to protections.

Some tricks you could use to figure out which component is actually bad... make the motherboard cold in that area... get a compressed air can and shake it and turn it with the head down and spray in the area (with the head down the can will spray cold and freeze the surface)
            Then carefully look at what parts get warm the first, which dry out quickest.

In addition to that you could probably just get some isopropyl alcohol and just pour it over the area when the board is cold. Then as you boot it up and board gets warm, the alcohol will evaporate and the warmest parts will dry out first.

You may have to keep pouring alcohol over those parts as the isopropyl alcohol evaporates quickly even in plain air.... and the problem is I'm not really sure if the alcohol you buy will be pure enough that it won't cause issues with that circuit being powered from 12v, without any current limits.
            I'd say it's worth the risk, if you don't know how to proceed further ...

Comment

+ 1 for isopropyl dribbled in the area once it gets hot, 99% or 91% if you not available. 70% may even be fine but I would be weary. The thing is, once you find out which, if any component(s) is/are at fault you're looking at the task of identification and surface mount soldering. jst a thought

Comment

Originally posted by Requiem View Post
                Hi
                Thank you all for the replies. It seems its not just the capacitor thatoverheats. Those 2 black square components also overheat. If i put a heat sink on them and take the fan away the pc run a few more mnutes but again the capacitor gets red hot and hangs. So i think your right its not just a capacitor issue. not sure where i can go from here

Thanks
                Have you tried a different power supply ?

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                  Have you tried a different power supply ?
                  Hello, Yes. Both power supplies (from other working pc's) sow the same issue.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
                    It could also be that one of those ceramic capacitors around the area are shorted causing the circuit to basically work at over 100% and overheating...

The reason I say this is because it seems the motherboard actually starts and works for some time if you cool it, so if a mosfet was dead, I'd suspect that circuit would not power anything or cause your power supply to turn off due to protections.

Some tricks you could use to figure out which component is actually bad... make the motherboard cold in that area... get a compressed air can and shake it and turn it with the head down and spray in the area (with the head down the can will spray cold and freeze the surface)
                    Then carefully look at what parts get warm the first, which dry out quickest.

In addition to that you could probably just get some isopropyl alcohol and just pour it over the area when the board is cold. Then as you boot it up and board gets warm, the alcohol will evaporate and the warmest parts will dry out first.

You may have to keep pouring alcohol over those parts as the isopropyl alcohol evaporates quickly even in plain air.... and the problem is I'm not really sure if the alcohol you buy will be pure enough that it won't cause issues with that circuit being powered from 12v, without any current limits.
                    I'd say it's worth the risk, if you don't know how to proceed further ...
                    Thank you. I will this a try

Comment

That circuit seems to be for the memory on that side of the board, have you tried removing the memory stick and see if it still gets hot?
                      There also seems to be an identical circuit for the other memory stick. Try swapping the memory sticks

The ic's seem to be CSD97374Q4M
                      Last edited by R_J; 04-17-2019, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                        That circuit seems to be for the memory on that side of the board, have you tried removing the memory stick and see if it still gets hot?
                        There also seems to be an identical circuit for the other memory stick. Try swapping the memory sticks

The ic's seem to be CSD97374Q4M
                        Hello

I removed the memory stick but it still overheats

Thanks

Comment

The ic's are stepdown buck converters, likley 12v input and 1.8v output, you could check the voltages, there could be a shorted mlcc on the output loading down the whole circuit. There looks like an identical circuit supplying the other bank of ram, Try comparing resitance or voltage between the two circuits
                          It could be that cap on the ouput is bad (560µf/6.3v)
                          I see some boards use a IR3553 for the buck converters
                          Last edited by R_J; 04-17-2019, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Hello

I put a multimeter on the 2 capacitors and they have the correct voltage across them. here is the video of the freeze spray test. i hope this helps.

Thank you all for your help!
                            Attached Files

Comment

also did a test on the transistor (what i believe it to be) the first component to warm up in my previous freeze test video

Pins
                              Middle N
                              Bottom P .641 (reading from the multimeter)

Pins
                              Middle P
                              Bottom N 1.162 (reading from the multimeter)

Comment

Working...
                              X