• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: You win some, you lose some.

Originally posted by smason View Post
    17-19 $0.00 these I can get free regularly
    20-21 wide maybe $20.00 if it's a decent brand
    22+ $30.00ish

Where do you 17-19 monitors for free? I regularly keep an eye on craigslists and for the few broken ones I see, the seller is still asking $20 or more! And for the ones within my price range, it's too far a drive to make it worthwhile.

Comment

17-19 $0.00 these I can get free regularly
      20-21 wide maybe $20.00 if it's a decent brand
      22+ $30.00ish
      That's what I'm kind of thinking. I've been searching Ebay and people are paying ridiculous amounts for broken stuff. Just saw a 19" wide screen go for $50. It's hard to find a good deal when people are charging $25+ for S&H.

Comment

First of all, please don't refer to them as broken. Someone might think ythey have to drop them on the floor before you will be interested.

If you have the time, energy, and personality of a salesman, here are some possibilities.

Start visiting offices - medical, legal, construction, contractors, any place that uses a computer. Ask if they have any non-working monitors they want to get rid of. Ask who handles their computer work. Leave a business card. Call the guy who handles their computer work, ask what HE does with dead monitors.

There are recycling companies in most cities. Find out what they do with monitors.

Goodwill, Salvation Army, Savers, any place that accepts donations. Do they test, or do they put them up for sale untested? Point out that an untested 15" monitor is almost unsellable; a working 15" LCD monitor is worth at least $25. You can at least isolate the working from the obviously bad from the possibly repairable, and will pay for the possibly repairable.

Advertise on Craigslist. "I will pay up to $25 for non-working LCD monitors 17" and larger".

PlainBill
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Bill's the man with the plan as usual! I've thought about going to other places and asking, but I already assume that the electrical recycling place has already thought of this and has someone that looks for fixable stuff to make an extra profit.

Comment

Originally posted by Ritalin View Post
            Bill's the man with the plan as usual!
            Yeah, when i have more free time i should start going to public places too.
            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I get mine from work (if they're out of warranty) from clients, friends, or from placing ads. There are at least 3 people posting ads here in my city looking for non-working monitors/lcd tvs, and I still manage to get some.
              I guy places ads every few days. I should really give him some of my "impossible" repairs (like bad MCU etc.) to keep him busy for a while
              36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

I get mine from work (if they're out of warranty) from clients, friends, or from placing ads. There are at least 3 people posting ads here in my city looking for non-working monitors/lcd tvs, and I still manage to get some.
                I guy places ads every few days. I should really give him some of my "impossible" repairs (like bad MCU etc.) to keep him busy for a while

Thanks to PlainBill and smason for sharing some tips for obtaining monitors. I've seen the same ads on Craigslist asking for non-functional computer equiptment for repair. I'm willing to give it a go, since the ad is free and I have nothing to lose. Asking the local recycler also sounds like a great idea.

Comment

Local Mom and Pop businesses are a very good source. A lot of recycling centers charge people to recycle there items.
                  Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

The guy with the LG widescreen said he didn't get my message and informed me he just sold it today... That is when i have both cellphone numbers mentioned in the signature on that forum, and he didn't reply when i asked him for his number. Ah well. Back to my good ol' 19" Nokia CRT. At least i can enjoy high resolution.
                    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

Don't spend money on these things, or you will run out of money real soon. The trick is to have people bring it to you, or to go out and seek ones that people are dumping. It's not economical to try and repair LCDs. If the bulbs are damaged, then the cost of the repair is not justified especially today when you can get brand new "emachines" 19" LCDs for $80.

Granted, you should probably change the caps in those things, even brand new.
                      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                        especially today when you can get brand new "emachines" 19" LCDs for $80.
                        That is where you live. You forgot all about the economy of this country. Cheapest 19" sells in online stores for $123.52, i just checked.

You don't find monitors around the curb here. Well maybe 14" CRTs. With a cracked tube at that. And i never *had* any money to run out of, coz i never had any money in the first place. And no one is dumping, everybody gets them fixed or sells them. Even 15" ones. Seriously. But coming back to my 19" Nokia CRT it feels like i never needed another monitor in the first place.

The whole thing started when someone was supposed to get a 19" CRT for $10, i had a friend who had one so i promised i'd get it, friend said he doesn't have it anymore, so i decided to sell mine instead, since i promised. Well, that someone has a disability and lives in the country so she can't come here to get it, and some friends of mom's were supposed to pick it up and transport it to her place. That's how my LCD adventure started.

I found out recently that those friends argued with that woman, so they didn't want to do this service for her anymore. All the while my 19" Nokia had been sitting in a corner of the hallway as i swapped LCDs around. Now that it's back on my desk, i'm keeping it thank you.
                        Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 02-13-2011, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Don't worry, I don't have any money either... It's not like I find things at every street corner... Well last week the Russian across the street from me threw away an old LGA775 computer... Turns out the motherboard looks fine... all good caps, but the PSU was shot. I wasn't really interested in the computer, he did however leave a 250GB Seagate 7200.8 HDD in there. (Up till then I was using a 40GB Maxtor 40GB "Diamondman Plus 8" and juggling like 5 20GB HDDs for my Xbox ISOs and the such). The case is also very nice HP mini tower. Last week he threw out the missing side panel, and now I have the complete set.

But when I do rarely find LCDs, I have to go around with my mountain bike for several hours, (rain or shine, warm or cold) and then I have to trek back all the way to my house to dump the cargo... Not easy at all, but great excercise. Now there's a Mexican guy who does this and he has a brand new truck he drives in and gets all the good stuff before me. How ironic.
                          "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                            Well last week the Russian across the street from me threw away an old LGA775 computer...
                            Not gonna happen here. And my mom sold my mountain bike a few years ago when we renovated the house, i came back from vacation at my grandparents' place and there was no more bike in the balcony. Besides, i live in the big city and trekking is quite likely to get you in a traffic accident.

Though, you do have a point... this summer i'll be buying me a new bike. I miss it. It gave me something to do on those boring days. I just wish those darn idiots wouldn't have banned bike access in my local parks... now i'll have to go a good few kms for a park that i can ride freely in.
                            Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 02-13-2011, 03:11 PM.

Comment

I don't live in the city, I'm in the suburbs. I can't stand the city, I choke from all the smog there. I go at night, sometimes until the morning (When I smoke I can't go as long, I get tired after a few hours) and it's very serene and all you see are the odd primitive Canadians who smoke marijuana on their porch. The smell makes we want to vomit. If you come to Canada I would go biking with you.

Comment

Working...
                              X