Gateway fpd1975w

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gateway fpd1975w

Ok so I've got this Gateway 19" LCD monitor. What it does is, if it has been powered off, meaning unplugged, it will work if the computer is on and the monitor is plugged back in with an active signal going to it. If the computer is restarted, it will not work. The monitor needs to be again unplugged, wait about 10-15 seconds, and plugged back in. That's the only way it will work.

Since I'm new to working on LCD monitors, I have two questions:

1. What's likely wrong with it? What do I need to know about working on these things? I can solder well, and have plenty of caps ready to go. I've replaced lots of bad capacitors on power supplies and motherboards, but I've never been into an LCD monitor.

2. How do I get the f***ing case off the thing?

Thanks in advance!
    A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Re: Gateway fpd1975w

It's probably bad caps, 3 I bet. I got one of these and it wouldn't come on, just flashed the power light, I think.
    It takes 3 35v 470uf caps, they are actually 25v in it, but I replaced them with 35v ones, and it works great now
    This model, and the 17" version are notorious for this problem.
    As far as getting the back off, you will have to either use a flat head screwdriver and pop/pry it around the edges, or get a spudger (sp) opening tool, they have plastic and metal ones, the plastic ones are called black sticks by apple.
    I started at the bottom, so the little dents/scratches are less noticeable.
    You will probably end up breaking some of the plastic tabs that hold it together, but it will still go back together fine afterwords.
    You might also have to take off the stand, mine didn't come with one.

Comment

I had the same problem. I manage to open the case.
      But I have no idea where to find the caps, LOL.
      Can you tell me where are they. Thanks. Luna.

Comment

Originally posted by lunavaldez
        I had the same problem. I manage to open the case.
        But I have no idea where to find the caps, LOL.
        Can you tell me where are they. Thanks. Luna.
        Under the cover. Pictures help.

PlainBill
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill
          Under the cover. Pictures help.

PlainBill
          Second that. Pics start the answers flow....
          There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
          • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
          • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
          • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
          • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
          • Windows 10 Pro x64
          • GeForce GT1050
            2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

pics please so that we can see the actual board

Comment

Thanks to everyone. Here are the pics.
              I kept looking and found the solution. Replace the Caps.
              Also found the power board but was out of stock.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by lunavaldez
                Thanks to everyone. Here are the pics.
                I kept looking and found the solution. Replace the Caps.
                Also found the power board but was out of stock.
                Yes, replace ALL the electrolytic caps, even those that look good. You're looking at about $5.00 (US) worth of caps there.

PlainBill
                For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I agree. Replace all caps.

Comment

Which caps are usually the problem? I would prefer to replace 3 instead off ALL of them if possible. Is it usually the 25v 470uF that are the problem caps?

Comment

Originally posted by Bil
                      Which caps are usually the problem? I would prefer to replace 3 instead off ALL of them if possible. Is it usually the 25v 470uF that are the problem caps?
                      ALL OF THEM
                      There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
                      • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
                      • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
                      • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
                      • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
                      • Windows 10 Pro x64
                      • GeForce GT1050
                        2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

I have the same caps on my proview monitor ...all bad even on my main board ..i'm gonna change the lot ..xunda are crap lol

Comment

What temp range caps?

Comment

Originally posted by chrisborre
                            What temp range caps?
                            105°C, low ESR. Read the 'Which Caps Should I Buy' thread in the FAQ.

PlainBill

Comment

what is the sequence of the four small connectors on the LCD?

Comment

It doesn't usually matter. The connectors are polarized so they can't go in 'upside down'. On two pin connectors, the two pins are the feed and return lines from a single CCFL.

It is common for the repairman to mark the connectors so the plugs will go back into the same sockets they came out. USUALLY the wires will have a certain 'lay' to them so a good guess can be made over which one came from where. I've never had a monitor burst into flames because I put the plugs into the wrong sockets.

As my mother-in-law used to say, "If it isn't smoking, it isn't cooking".

PlainBill

Comment

A pic would help.

Comment

I've got a Gateway FPD1976W that was doing the same thing for the month I had it (given to me for free by my daughter's great grampa because it blinked on and off on him) until 4 days ago when I woke up to the blue botton blinking on and off.

When I eventually did get it fire back up and stay lit (by completely unplugging and draining it of power for 30 seconds), it was a grayish white screen and the OSD buttons didn't work at all. No warning in the corner about native resolution either. Pressed the power button and it never came on again. All it does now is if I plug it in and hold down the power button, the button itself will blink orange momentarily every 3 to 5 seconds.

Looking to recap it see what happens. Luna's pics gives me an idea of what to expect if Gateway used the same power inverters for the FPD1975W and FPD1976W models.

Comment

Did anyone ever find a fix to this problem with this monitor? I'm actually concerned about a different symptom with this same monitor. Maybe it's the same but here it goes.... This monitor (FPD1975W):

with no input signal - cycles through 3 screens of different brightness then one screen of test pattern and then goes back out with power button LED change from green to amber, as usual.

with input signal - Monitor simply cycles through 3 screens then test pattern then keeps cycling.

Just for the heck of it, I desoldered all caps on inverter board and checked with capacitance meter - no probs there. It seems as if the digital processing board is not interpreting the signal it is getting but somehow it knows theres something present to keep cycling.
                                      The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

Originally posted by Dgtech
                                        Did anyone ever find a fix to this problem with this monitor? I'm actually concerned about a different symptom with this same monitor. Maybe it's the same but here it goes.... This monitor (FPD1975W):

with no input signal - cycles through 3 screens of different brightness then one screen of test pattern and then goes back out with power button LED change from green to amber, as usual.

with input signal - Monitor simply cycles through 3 screens then test pattern then keeps cycling.

Just for the heck of it, I desoldered all caps on inverter board and checked with capacitance meter - no probs there. It seems as if the digital processing board is not interpreting the signal it is getting but somehow it knows theres something present to keep cycling.
                                        A capacitance meter may still indicate a capacitor has the correct capacitance even though it's ESR is high. What brand are the caps in this monitor?

PlainBill

Comment

Working...
                                        X