X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gateway 900G frustration

Originally posted by koshposh
    ok so when unplugged from power, both 5V and 12V sit at 4 mV

when power is plugged in the 12V sits at 4.4 mV and the 5V jumps randomly anywhere between 338 and 78 mV without any particular order...

I'm getting volatages nowhere near 5 or 12 V
    See suggestion for pulsing 5 Volt supply. While you are at it, you may as well replace the rest of the caps.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Hi all, wow, I left for a week and LOTS of stuff was talked about. I got the ccfl mod kit in, tested the lamps in the monitor screen with the mod kit's inverter, and all tested fine. They lit up and stayed on. I will try the mod kit's lamps with the monitors inverter next and see what happens, probably cut back off again. I believe it has something to do with me replacing the cap "in the blue circle" with the wrong mF value. I got the voltage right on it tho.

Comment

Originally posted by arpcentralone
        I believe it has something to do with me replacing the cap "in the blue circle" with the wrong mF value. I got the voltage right on it tho.
        To be honest this link of your earlier posting on this cap
        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...5&postcount=16
        never added up to me, you say that a 470uf replaced a 47uf, thats 10 x original value that to my understanding has been a No No in cap replacement, way to high
        then you mention the uf to be lower, I asume that to have been a error
        Having said that I dont know if this cap is the cause of your b/light turning off
        Hope I havent put my foot in my mouth, I am not one of the brighter stars in the sky
        bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bobdee
          To be honest this link of your earlier posting on this cap
          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...5&postcount=16
          never added up to me, you say that a 470uf replaced a 47uf, thats 10 x original value that to my understanding has been a No No in cap replacement, way to high
          then you mention the uf to be lower, I asume that to have been a error
          Having said that I dont know if this cap is the cause of your b/light turning off
          Hope I havent put my foot in my mouth, I am not one of the brighter stars in the sky
          bob
          I'd say you are right twice. Replacing a cap with one 10 X the original value (or .1 X ) is generally a bad idea. However, this cap is part of the power supply. It's value was chosen as a trade off between low cost and a stable voltage for the power supply controller. I have looked at the original data sheet on this IC, it recommended a 22 uF capacitor.

You are also right, this capacitor would have nothing to do with the 'two seconds to black' problem.

PlainBill
          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

ok thanks, I'll that a try. first gotta find a good place to buy caps

Comment

Originally posted by koshposh
              ok thanks, I'll that a try. first gotta find a good place to buy caps
              Sometimes it helps to read the FAQ. An amazing amount of information can be found.

PlainBill

Comment

Just wanted to make a quick post giving thanks to all the info in this thread. I was able to fix a customers 900G in about 20min with all the great info here.

Comment

This guide helped me repair 700G.After replacement of 470uf caps it was the little guy.Put in a 100uf and it works great.I did not have any ticking,or obvious blown-swollen caps.I did have faint backlight flicker,thought it was my fluorescent lights or eyes, no blue button or anything else.Thanks for all the great info.

Comment

I've got the "ticking" problem coupled with the 5v supply oscillations.

I replaced all the electrolytic caps and the also tried the shunt regulator and the problem still exists. It is interesting to note that the period of the ticks was about once/second before I swapped the caps and now it is more like 2 seconds.

I'm competent, but not terribly strong with these repairs. Any advice on what components to consider or a schematic would be very helpful.

Thank you to all who offer advice.

Comment

Originally posted by tswan
                      ...I replaced all the electrolytic caps ...
                      Did you replace also the smaller ones? What did you use for replacement?
                      There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
                      • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
                      • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
                      • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
                      • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
                      • Windows 10 Pro x64
                      • GeForce GT1050
                        2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

Hi, I replaced all that I saw. The smallest one (the 47uF cap) was replaced also with a 47uF. When it did not work I tried a 100uF cap as someone else had done.

Comment

Hi, I replaced all that I saw. The smallest one (the 47uF cap) was replaced also with a 47uF. When it did not work I tried a 100uF cap as someone else had done.
                          With what brand/series/values?
                          There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
                          • Windows 10 Pro x64
                          • GeForce GT1050

Comment

I replaced all the 470uF with 470uF 50V, and all the 220uF with 220uF 50V. They are a collection of caps from both NTE and Xicon. I replaced the 680uF with a 680uF 50V. It's physically too big for the board to go back into the monitor, but I thought I would replace it just in case....assuming I can get this working I'll find a smaller 680uF.

Things have also changed. The 12V supply is now moving around and the 5V supply that as swinging between 3 and 5V is now swinging around 1-2V. Not sure if I've done more damage or if something is degrading.

I did not replace the 100uF 450V cap.

Comment

I did not replace the 100uF 450V cap.
                              It rarely fails.
                              • Windows 10 Pro x64
                              • GeForce GT1050

Comment

I got it fixed. In fact, it was probably fixed yesterday and I did not realize it.

After I replaced all the caps I checked the 5 and 12 volt signals with the board out of the monitor (no load). When I saw the 5V output oscillating I thought that was wrong and kept goofing around. It looks like I ended up blowing a fuse in the process of poking around so much. Once I replaced the fuse and tested the 5 and 12 volts signals under a load they were fine. I'm sure it was the capacitors all along.

Thanks.

Comment

I got it fixed. In fact, it was probably fixed yesterday and I did not realize it.

After I replaced all the caps I checked the 5 and 12 volt signals with the board out of the monitor (no load). When I saw the 5V output oscillating I thought that was wrong and kept goofing around. It looks like I ended up blowing a fuse in the process of poking around so much. Once I replaced the fuse and tested the 5 and 12 volts signals under a load they were fine. I'm sure it was the capacitors all along.

Thanks.
                                  So it is now just a matter of finding the smaller 680 replacements?
                                  Good to ear that.
                                  • Windows 10 Pro x64
                                  • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Just picked up one of these 900W`s and tested the offending caps.
                                    All Samxon caps, none visibly failing/failed.
                                    The 47uF read as 48uF and 0.15 esr (good, hhmmm)
                                    The 470uF`s read 0.05 esr (good) but all 4 were within a uF of 423uF.
                                    That`s exactly 10% reduced capacitance, so probably the fault cause.

Has anyone subbed anything other than 470`s back in?
                                    Looking at the board, it`s easy to replace at least 2 of them with a 1000uF cap.

Comment

Originally posted by capamatic
                                      Just picked up one of these 900W`s and tested the offending caps.
                                      All Samxon caps, none visibly failing/failed.
                                      The 47uF read as 48uF and 0.15 esr (good, hhmmm)
                                      The 470uF`s read 0.05 esr (good) but all 4 were within a uF of 423uF.
                                      That`s exactly 10% reduced capacitance, so probably the fault cause.

Has anyone subbed anything other than 470`s back in?
                                      Looking at the board, it`s easy to replace at least 2 of them with a 1000uF cap.
                                      If in parallel, you can, but why not stick to original specs?
                                      • Windows 10 Pro x64
                                      • GeForce GT1050

Comment

I`ve got a stash of quality 1000`s , and better esr specs at that rating should prolong it`s life. C205 / C206 are in parallel and are under the most stress.
                                        Just wondered if anyone has done it.

Comment

Originally posted by capamatic
                                          I`ve got a stash of quality 1000`s , and better esr specs at that rating should prolong it`s life. C205 / C206 are in parallel and are under the most stress.
                                          Just wondered if anyone has done it.
                                          I've done it two or three times. Units are stable as of today (two or three months ago, on units that work 24/7).
                                          • Windows 10 Pro x64
                                          • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Working...
                                          X