Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Replacing 4 diodes with a bridge

Look at the shot above that one. 692uF on a 1000uF Cap

I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Look at the shot above that one. 692uF on a 1000uF Cap
      According to a post int he following thread, it can be calibrated.
      http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equip...ay-gadget.html

Here's another one from a different seller... So am I correct in thinking the ESR resolution is good up to 0.010 Ohms (The correct ESR for that 10V 1000uF Rubycon MCZ should be 0.011 Ohms). If so, then this device is all you need for testing caps and it only cost $20.
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

A better view of the gadget's PCB, from another ebay entry:

Last edited by TELVM; 12-30-2012, 05:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TELVM View Post
          Man that capacitance/ESR gadget is exactly what I'm looking for ! Where can I get one of these? How much does it cost?
          You can buy it directly from PEAK, like I have done. They ship very fast.

And yes, I love my ESR 60 analyser...

http://www.peakelec.co.uk/acatalog/jz_esr60.html
          Last edited by Tube_Dude; 12-30-2012, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Can you please stop hijacking P4's thread?
            Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Ouch, my apologies.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                Yeah! Here is the before and after, and a pic of a typical Chinese cap lying about the specs! I think maybe some of the little caps on the 5VSB are bad because this thing has no signs of life. I will work on it more on the 31st and hopefully get it going
                Hi P4

the cap that is in it is only rated at 85 deg so I would up grade to 105 deg the peak esr 70 is showing that the cap is within spec (ie 20%+or-)

I would replace it anyway where there any other components blown it the primary side of this PSU? if so you will need to replace them as well then you need to check the secondary side.

Good luck with your project.

Comment

Originally posted by dmill89 View Post
                  Not sure what your plans for that PSU are Pentium4, but it appears to be very similar (although slightly cheaper judging from the heatsinks) to this one I rebuilt a while back if you want some ideas.
                  https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...hlight=gutless
                  Hey, thank you very much for the link, i wish mine had heat sinks like yours
                  link directly to the rebuild post:https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...93&postcount=8
                  Originally posted by ben7 View Post
                  Can you please stop hijacking P4's thread?
                  Haha, thanks
                  Originally posted by popeye View Post
                  Hi P4

the cap that is in it is only rated at 85 deg so I would up grade to 105 deg the peak esr 70 is showing that the cap is within spec (ie 20%+or-)

I would replace it anyway where there any other components blown it the primary side of this PSU? if so you will need to replace them as well then you need to check the secondary side.

Good luck with your project.
                  Yeah, I will for sure replace all the caps in this thing! I don't trust any of the ones that came in it I will keep this thread updated

Comment

I had suspicions about this diode being shorted so I took it out and it measured 1.3Ω both ways and it diode check mode it reads 0 both ways, is it bad? It's an SB560 diode. And I have an SB540, would that be a suitable replacement?
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Pentium4; 04-24-2013, 02:01 PM.

Comment

I had suspicions about this diode being shorted so I took it out and it measured 1.3Ω both ways, is it bad? It's an SB560 diode
                      Yep, it indeed is bad.
                      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

40V vs 60V reverse voltage rating shouldn't be much of a problem, in this case. Judging by the location next to the 5Vsb transformer, i'd say it's a safe bet this is the 5Vsb rectifier
                        Khron's Cave - Electronics - Audio - Teardowns - Mods - Repairs - Projects - Music - Rants - Shenanigans

Comment

Thanks for the replies Really? Because it got 5VSB but wouldn't power up. I will see how it goes! The SB540 is mounted to a little heatsink that should help

Edit: Woohoo it powers up now! Now I can continue modifying it in confidence
                          Last edited by Pentium4; 04-24-2013, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the replies Really? Because it got 5VSB but wouldn't power up. I will see how it goes! The SB540 is mounted to a little heatsink that should help

Edit: Woohoo it powers up now! Now I can continue modifying it in confidence
                            Um, wtf. Maybe it was somehow being rectified some way, but not well.
                            Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Or just worked with a very low load? I hope Khron is right in the fact that the reverse voltage is a little lower but shouldn't affect it. After recapping it I plan on replacing the TOBA MUR1620CT with two MBR20100CT's in parallel to reduce some of the heat on that little heatsink...
                              Last edited by Pentium4; 04-24-2013, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Was pretty frustrated, I went to put those MBR20100CT's in the PSU, even had them bolted to the heatsink and the legs were too short on them So I left the original one....

Here is the final picture with the new diode, a Panaflo DC Brushless fan, the new caps (Except the -12V and -5V) and I also bent the fins on the heatsinks outwards, I think they will cool better this way. Now hopefully this thing can last in a computer I only trust it up to 200W for long periods of time
                                Attached Files

Comment

Not bad. I always bend those fins outwards too. The stock configuration is hopeless for getting airflow between the two rows of fins.
                                  I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                                    Not bad. I always bend those fins outwards too. The stock configuration is hopeless for getting airflow between the two rows of fins.
                                    Thanks, I'm glad you approve! I don't understand why they don't do that from the factory

Comment

Thanks, I'm glad you approve! I don't understand why they don't do that from the factory
                                      Because it adds about a tenth of a cent worth of wear to the machine! Think about it: if they make 10,000 units, that's an entire TEN DOLLARS that they save!

Comment

They're easier to ship and package that way, take less space.
                                        Easier to handle in the factory.
                                        Can be reused in other designs where there are tall parts near the heatsinks

Comment

You guys have good points, and they probably don't care either way

Comment

Working...
                                          X