ePower EP-350FX SFX PSU rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ePower EP-350FX SFX PSU rebuild

So I have a TFX chassis that I'm going to put my Haswell Pentium system in and it needs a decent PSU. I've had this one for a while and didn't have a use for it until now. Really interesting unit, I'm always fascinated by old Topower units. I left it as is because when I first looked at it, I knew this was going to be a very time consuming project. This thing is very cramped, but upon finally taking it apart, it looks to be a very well designed PSU. The label seems pretty honest, but can you imagine how quickly this thing would kill those caps running close to its max rating?!

I was expecting a wimpy-ish half bridge unit, but this one is double forward with independent regulation on the output rails. Nice!

I like how the input starts on that separated PCB, and the fuse is there as well, with removable AC plugs, SWEET!

Once I dive in to this thing, I will be able to see what the silicon is. All I know now is that there are two 30A schottkys on the 5V.

I plugged this unit in with just a paperclip, and the thing burns 30W AC just to be turned on! I know a lot is because of the 10W 20Ω resistor, but why is that thing connected to the fan controller anyways, to slow them down? You'd think the attached controller card would do that already. Besides that big resistor though, there must be some low values on the output rails.

I'm not sure how none of the capacitors are bulging. Either this thing got almost no use, or some have failed without bulging. There's no way those decade old Asia'X, Koshin, Fuhjyyu TN, and Teapo SEK are all okay. This unit runs hot. It handled a 130W load no problem but it was kicking out quite a bit of heat. Not only will I have to replace all of the capacitors, but there's a fair amount of glue that needs to be removed. I'm guessing if the unit needs that 10W resistor, then at least swapping around the minimum load resistors will reduce some of the heat created.

The soldering is pretty messy, but not atrocious.

The unit has two fans in push-pull configuration, both the same identical Top Motor fan. The grease in there was dry. After putting a drop of oil in each of them, they spin much better.

I uploaded that picture of the unit next to a pair of clippers for scale.

I'll keep this thread updated as I go, but in the meantime, your thoughts are always appreciated
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Pentium4; 06-23-2015, 05:35 PM.

Re: ePower EP-350FX TFX PSU rebuild

Yeap, soldering could have been better, but that's not a problem.

Are you going to replace the 560uF primary caps with 680uF units?

Comment

Yeah I'll redo some soldering. The trouble with the input caps is size. Not much flexibility diameter or height wise. I'll measure them first. They're very old, so at the very least i will put same size 2.5 year old Seacon caps there.

Comment

The two primary caps read 559uF and 540uF. I only pulled one 3300uF 16V Asia'X TMX so far, and it read 3784uF and 0.03Ω

I uploaded some pictures of the primary. I was wrong, it's single forward with Infineon 11N80C3. 11A @ 25C and 7.1A @ 100C.
        Attached Files

Comment

Looks alright, athough I think you'll find it's SFX form factor. TFX is much longer, but narrower (like http://www.hardwareinsights.com/wp/i...-0-tfx-review/)
          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Shoot, you're right. Thanks for pointing that out. Can you edit the title and first post to make it SFX?

Comment

Re: ePower EP-350FX SFX PSU rebuild

Done. The title has been fixed.
              I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Slow moving project, but a little update: I finally removed the secondary heatsink to check the silicon. It's pretty good.
                Two 30A shottky on 5V
                60A on 3.3V
                30A on 12V
                1.5A each for -12V and -5V

I removed the glue on that L7905CV. There are tiny specs that I won't worry about.

So, I think it's excessively unnecessary to have 60A on the 3.3V, wouldn't you say? I was planning on swapping the 60A rectifier on the 3.3V for the 30A on the 12V. Since this is single forward, I won't need more than 40 reverse voltage on the 12V rail, correct?

It looks like it uses a mag amp for the 5V and 3.3V. Pretty cool. Voltage regulation should be pretty good on this bad boy.

I'm worried about the glue on the daughterboard with the supervisory chip. Should I be? I need to at least remove it around those Fuhjyyu caps that will be replaced. Should I even be worried about the glue on the bottom of that PCB?

Anyone know why they would use that massive 20Ω 10W resistor in parallel with the fans? If it's being used to slow down the fans, that's really ironic because that thing burning 10W causing that side of the PSU to heat up, and then the fans rev up. And that's with no load, just a paperclip to turn it on
                Attached Files

Comment

Somehow that looks very topowerish...

Comment

Indeed it is Topower.

The two 1000uF 10V Koshin KLH on the 5VSB failed without bulging. C18 read 1212uF 0.06Ω ESR, C27 read 1275uF 0.04Ω ESR.

Comment

The primary looks a lot better with most of the glue removed. I didn't get it all around that zener. They're really sensitive and I didn't want to break it.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Don't worry, it's safe now

Comment

I figured So, what do you think about swapping rectifiers and that silly resistor? I think I'll just try it out once I'm done cleaning the glue and checking minimum resistor values.

Comment

is that a gold plated mains inlet?

Comment

Yes sir, it is.

Comment

I've blown a rectifier with 40V reverse voltage by putting it on 12V of a half bridge Key Mouse Electronics psu.

Since then I don't feel like experimenting about it, better be on the safe side, by using rectifiers with 60V or more repetitive reverse voltage.

But it's true that psus with transistor forward topology are less picky with reverse voltage of output rectifiers. So, it might work! The choice is yours!

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                                  Indeed it is Topower.

The two 1000uF 10V Koshin KLH on the 5VSB failed without bulging. C18 read 1212uF 0.06Ω ESR, C27 read 1275uF 0.04Ω ESR.
                                  They were just sitting there for a long time? That might explain the high capacitance - a very thinned dielectric. Knowing Koshin capacitors, though, they're probably bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                                    Yes sir, it is.
                                    then i hope the contacts in the socket-shell are gold plated.
                                    if you mix gold and tin you get galvanic corrosion because the 2 metals create a slight current between them.

Comment

Working...
                                    X