Vizio E65-C3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vizio E65-C3

I picked up a Vizio E65-C3 and was told it lost video and audio was choppy. Went ahead and got a mainboard for it. Installed it and still no video. Well not until I like flexed it from one top corner and video came on. As you see it is not right on the right side of the screen. Could it be the T conn board? Dont know the history of the tv other than what I was told. I sure hope it is not the screen. Please reply if anyone has any thoughts or how I could forsure tell if it was the screen.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by joeshannallie; 01-18-2018, 09:57 PM. Reason: pic

Re: Vizio E65-C3

This unfortunately is the panel (screen). You have a bad connection on one of the ribbons that are fused to the LCD panel. You may be all of the pull off the plastic surround bezel and lightly press on that ribbon to see if the problem goes away
    Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Thanks so much. Definately will try that.

Comment

Finally have time to post update. Took all apart and replaced all boards. Still the same. Bought boards on assumption that one of them had went out. Apparently I was lied to about tv not being dropped or something. Very small piece of actual screen missing near one of the flat cables that is molded to the screen. All of them were fine and did not look damaged but could not do anything to make screen change any at all. So my question is now, Does any one know of any sources maybe to order the actual replacement panel. I know probably big money. Looked all over the net and no lck.

Comment

I think you would be best advised to look for a non-working TV with a good same model screen. Should be some around.

Comment

actually since you think / know that the panel is damage, you have nothing to lose.... pull all tab bonds on the damage side and cross your fingers, you might get lucky and have a "perfect picture|" thereafter.

Comment

I dont really understand what you mean. You mean maybe half the screen be good with full picture?

Comment

some sets (quite a few of the large size) have bonded tab ribbon cables on each side of the panel. people here have found that you can remove the ones on the "bad side" and the result is that the panel works basically "like new" with only a very critical eye being able to see any issue. So IF this set has bonded tabs on both side of the panel, you might be successful in getting a fully "functional" set. Lots of posts on this type of "operation" in and around vizio and sharp panels.

It is a "one time operation" so you need to be certain that the side is a problem as once the tabs are removed, they can never be replaced.... so read and research.... it is quite likely you will be successful.

further.... post a picture of your findings about the "chip on the panel missing" so we can understand what you are seeing. If the actual panel is compromised as opposed to the cabling, it might be a "gamble" BUT as I said before, you really have nothing to lose as the panel is basically "broke".
                Last edited by budwich; 02-24-2018, 09:42 PM.

Comment

I will take it back apart and see what I can see again. Just does not seem possible for the whole screen to work after some tab bonds have been removed.

Comment

I would look for any shorted or low resistance MLCC capacitors along the source driver boards located on the bottom of the LCD panel

Comment

Getting ready to get back into this TV. My tab bonds are on the bottom of the panel. There is some or looks like them on the sides but they are not connected to anything.

Comment

on this model, that connections to the side tabs is done thru the side of the panel... basically circuit paths run from the end bottom tabs / edge boards to the panel, then along the side of the panel up to the side and then to each side tabs. Ultimately, IF you may have to remove those side tabs on the "bad side".... but as suggested by Freakaftr8, check around the bottom edge boards (near the corner) where there might be issues with the smd capacitors as a result of "one time damage" that you spotted on the side (ie. chip/ crack) which might have caused a problem with the component that may be repairable / replaceable... doubtful but you never know.
                        Last edited by budwich; 02-27-2018, 01:31 PM.

Comment

If it was yours which tabs would you remove to see if it resolved the problem? Side ones or bottom ones? Lets see if I understand, If I remove the tconn connection for the side that has the problem and if it is not the panel then it should be black with no images, right? And then if they are images or whatever then more than likely the panel is no good, Right?

Comment

You CAN'T remove the bottom tabs.... these are source drivers that "run the whole show". Only side tabs can be removed and ONLY ON ONE SIDE.

Further, if you disconnect the tcon to panel cables on one side, that side will normally go WHITE and the remaining connected side should show a "normal picture" for that portion of the display.

Comment

So if I remove any, remove the ones on the side that has the issue, Right? Nothing to lose. It is trash the way it is so why not!

Comment

yes that's right.... BUT don't necessarily give up right then as it is slightly possible that the damage on the side might have cause some issue on the bottom edge boards that may need addressing. Anyways, with luck, you will get a working set with the side removed.

Comment

Re: Vizio E65-C3 Amazing Update!!!

Amazing Update!!!! Removed tab bonds from the side that was messed up and now look at the before and after pics. I was just about ready to post it as free for parts and came across the amazing thread about the tab bond removal. Totally amazing. May not last long then again it may last forever, Who knows! Thanks to all for the great great advice. You guys are geniuses!!!!
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Interesting, so gate driver short caused vertical lines as Well! Guess it is possible if loading VCOM or AVDD down.

Nice job!

Comment

Well the before pic was a few weeks ago. The before pic tonight was like that but without the vertical lines. I had cleaned the ribbon cable that connects the 2 bottom boards together. That may have helped, I dont know. But anyways I said what the heck and removed the side tab bonds and this tv has great picture quality. The tab bonds looked fine though to the eye.

Comment

since you didn't actually post a picture of the "fracture", its hard to say what might have happen... possibly a broken line that provides powering to the side drivers which then "loaded" down the opposite side resulting in the first picture which appeared to show "disconnected side drivers". glad you got it working... happy viewing

Comment

Working...
                                        X