Samsung LNT4069FX no picture with sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung LNT4069FX no picture with sound

Hi all! First post here, and I'm hoping you can help me. This site is great, and it's gotten me 50% of the way there already

Now my issue. I'm the owner of a Samsung LNT4069FX 40” LCD television. A few weeks ago, the TV started having power-on problems. I didn't see it myself, but my wife began the initial complaints (isn't that how it always goes). Once the weekend hit, I got up in the morning to find the TV exhibiting the clicking power-cycle problem. Power on the set, the power LED blinks and your hear the relay clicking on and off. No picture ever came up.

After doing some investigation, I found a lot of articles on Samsung caps going bad. So, later that day I took off the back of the set and looked at the power board to find one, maybe two (hard to tell since they were so close together) bad caps with the leaking electrolyte brown fluid between them. The fluid was wet and sticky, so seemed fairly recent and not dried up.

Got online and ordered some new caps to replace all of my 1000uf and one 220uf caps. Got a set of Nichion's and replaced all 1000uf and the one 220uf cap last weekend. I found one other bad cap I didn't notice the first time, so I think I had two bad caps, with maybe a third looking suspect. After the re-capping, the set powered right up afterwards! Hooray!

BUT (there's always a but)

After a day of working fine, the TV is now doing something even weirder. It powers on, but you get NO picture. There IS sound. Odd. I can change the volume, but no OSD would show. As I was playing around with the remote, I noticed what appears to be the backlights slowing coming on … starting in the center of the screen with a vertical pattern and moving towards the outer left/right edges. After about a minute the screen backlight would cover the whole screen. I powered off the set, turned it right back on, and BINGO, I have picture and everything works fine.

If I let the set sit for an hour or two, it cools off and I'm back into no picture on power-up. Wait for the backlights to come up to speed and then it is fine. If I power cycle it too soon before it has warmed up, I still get no picture. It takes only a minute for the set to warm up enough apparently based on how its been working for the past few days.

So, what should I be looking for? Saw some mention on another thread about the inverter board and transformers, but I don't recall there being any on my model (transformers on the inverter board that is). I intend on opening it up again once I can get it away from the wife and kids and getting some pics of the boards … but I hoped that some of this might spark some ideas on what I can look for (if anything).

Thanks for any and all advice you may have!

Regards,

Mike

Re: Samsung LNT4069FX no picture with sound

I am no expert here, But I have managed to fix a couple of TV's with similar symptoms, with the exception that I think yours is haunted! The TV has a T-Con board, it is Basically the video brain. on that board, well at least the one's I fixed there were some capacitors that had loose solder joints, and in one case there was a tiny almost micro fuse that had an open circuit. I suspect that you have a loose solder joint somewhere, that when it heats up and expands you are loosing contact with a critical component IE fuse, or Cap, I know of no other way to check these other than to run an iron over then and re melt the connections, Just my two cents.
    39 Soldering Iron burns And Counting

Comment

make sure all the caps that have vented @ top or domed have been changed? here's something to check by
      Attached Files
      Ron Driver,BSEE,CET,ISCET,NESDA

Comment

Mike,
        Were you ever able to resolve this issue? My parents have the same model with the exact problem you described. They were able to get picture on it after letting it warm up and power cycling it. It's no longer falling for that trick and now they can just listen to the TV.

The power board has been re-capped and the t-con board replaced.

Carson

Comment

Do you get 24VDC to the backlights inverter board? Pictures of the boards will be big help.
          Attached Files
          Never stop learning
          Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
          http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Working...
          X