• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP Elite 8200 SFF PSU

PSU:

Power info from manual:

Manual: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02778024

I have a 1155 CPU. Looking for a cheap mobo for a cheap build. The 8200 SFF mobo is cheap, but it has wacky, proprietary pinouts. I know just enough to get myself in trouble (I say that to temper expectations! Haha!). I have a few questions:

1. 12v VSB - I know what 12v is. I know that VSB means standby voltage. My understanding is that when the unit is powered on ...that the voltage is "pulled down" below 12v? How can I replicate this with a regular ATX PSU? Do I really need to if this unit will be a server that is always on...could I just connect a 5v VSB?

1.5. Power Connecter P2: Pin #4 = Pwr Good ...What's that exactly?....Can I connect that to the PWR_OK on the ATX PSU?

2. FANcmd = PWM, right?

3. Fan Speed = RPM, right?

4. It is going to be a low wattage server with 3 low-RPM 120mm fans total. They are 3-pin fans. Will this be a problem?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Per Hansson; 03-03-2016, 06:05 AM. Reason: Offsite images uploaded

Re: HP Elite 8200 SFF PSU

Will I blow my tits off if I hook up the 12v VSB to 12v+?

Comment

1: If the schematic is correct the expected standby voltage is 12v.
      No ATX PSU has that, it's always 5v.
      So you wont be able to "soft start" the computer if you do hook it up like you describe.
      Because no power is on 12v on a ATX PSU until it is started...
      (And no it wont be pulled down, it will be constant 12v)

1.5: An ATX PSU will output 5v on the PWR_OK / Power good pin when the PSU is operating within the monitoring IC's setpoint limits.
      Weather the PSU you linked outputs that or some other voltage is not specified.

2/3: Your guess as to what kind of standard or proprietary solution this is as good as mine.
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I have been usinge these psu's and so far none has died, seems pretty reliable even with the caps HP provided.

If you need any pictures to make you project work let me know.
        Attached Files

Comment

Per Hansson & Gabriel, thank you for the replies.

Do you think that without the 12V VSB that it will power on at all?

Is there any way to simply replicate the 12V VSB?

Comment

Found this thread via google, since i have the same probs and i think i can help you at least a little.
            The coloursdo match mostly with the standard ATX colours.

- Your (P3) 4-Pin CPU connector (brown, brown, black, black) is the same as (yellow, yellow, black, black) 4-pin cpu connector like on standard ATX psu.

besides purple, white, white-red every thing can be connected by colour match an on standard PSU.

Yellow to yellow (+12V)
            Black to black (GND)
            Green on green (PS_ON)
            Grey to grey (PWR_OK)
            Blue to blue (-12V)

Purple on atx is only 5VSB but it need to be 12 VSB.
            So you can use a external 12V ca.1A(?) DC Wall Wart PSU. Connect plus of external PSU to your Purple on your P1 connector, and Minus from external PSU to GND of internal PSU.
            Better solution is to get an DC-DC Step-Up converter 5->12V and boost your 5VSB to 12VSB.

The white (Tacho) and white/red (FanCMD) cables can be left out, bit you will get an annoying message on boot "515-Power Supply fan not detected", since the original PSU-fan was controlled by the Mainboard, but thats all.
            I am searching for a solution on that, but at least it works.

Comment

You could also buy this adapter from here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATX-24pin-to...YAAOSw5dNWhNiZ

I solved my fan issue by pulling out the 4-Pin-Fan out from the original PSU.
              If you want to do the same:
              FANCMD is PWM, so
              from PSU-Fan connect blue to white/red cable from P2 socket.
              from PSU-Fan connect green to white from P2 socket.
              from PSU-Fan connect black to black from new PSU
              from PSU-Fan connect yellow (12V) to red (5V) from new PSU, because connecting to 12V to 12V results in Fan spinning faster and faster. If i connect to 5V it starts very silentently and stops spinning a few moments later. I don't use this fan for cooling, it is just to get rid of annoying message.

(Sorry, i can not edit previous post, so had to make another reply)
              Last edited by KyleRiemen; 03-07-2016, 07:37 AM.

Comment

KyleRiemen, thanks for the information. Is this the thread to which you were referring: superuser.com/questions/869600/what-is-the-6-pin-power-connector-on-an-hp-prodesk ?

Comment

Also. I had bunch of bookmarks. This might be interesting for you too http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop.../832709/page/8
                  Last edited by KyleRiemen; 03-07-2016, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KyleRiemen View Post
                    You could also buy this adapter from here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATX-24pin-to...YAAOSw5dNWhNiZ

I solved my fan issue by pulling out the 4-Pin-Fan out from the original PSU.
                    If you want to do the same:
                    FANCMD is PWM, so
                    from PSU-Fan connect blue to white/red cable from P2 socket.
                    from PSU-Fan connect green to white from P2 socket.
                    from PSU-Fan connect black to black from new PSU
                    from PSU-Fan connect yellow (12V) to red (5V) from new PSU, because connecting to 12V to 12V results in Fan spinning faster and faster. If i connect to 5V it starts very silentently and stops spinning a few moments later. I don't use this fan for cooling, it is just to get rid of annoying message.

(Sorry, i can not edit previous post, so had to make another reply)
                    thanks very much. this is the only best solution of 515 fan alert. i solved this problem.

Comment

about these psu's,
                      what is PS-ON level, 5v??

Comment

Working...
                      X