Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung 931BW - Takes Ages to Display

Hi Guys,

First off let me say this is a brilliant website. I dabble in PC repairs and this has been a wonderful source of information at times with regards to the "capacitor plague".

Anyway, onto my issue. I have a Samsung 931BW monitor which is taking longer and longer before it displays any image (either on the DVI input or the VGA). This morning it took about 30 minutes before I could use it. The power light continues to blink and I can hear some high-pitched noise.

The date of manufacture on the monitor in July 2007.

I've just taken the monitor apart and found a couple of bulging CapXon capacitors (photos attached).

I plan on swapping out as many of the CapXon capacitors as possible. I am aware of the H&S risks.

Do you agree these could be the cause of the issue?

If I do swap them out, what manufacturer should I choose (Rubycon / Panasonic)? The bulging caps are 1000uf 10V. Should these be replaced like for like, or can I go for 1000uf 16V? I'll be looking at caps that are good up to 105C.

Thanks,
    Attached Files

Re: Samsung 931BW - Takes Ages to Display

Originally posted by soreilly View Post
    Hi Guys,

First off let me say this is a brilliant website. I dabble in PC repairs and this has been a wonderful source of information at times with regards to the "capacitor plague".

Anyway, onto my issue. I have a Samsung 931BW monitor which is taking longer and longer before it displays any image (either on the DVI input or the VGA). This morning it took about 30 minutes before I could use it. The power light continues to blink and I can hear some high-pitched noise.

The date of manufacture on the monitor in July 2007.

I've just taken the monitor apart and found a couple of bulging CapXon capacitors (photos attached).

I plan on swapping out as many of the CapXon capacitors as possible. I am aware of the H&S risks.

Do you agree these could be the cause of the issue?

If I do swap them out, what manufacturer should I choose (Rubycon / Panasonic)? The bulging caps are 1000uf 10V. Should these be replaced like for like, or can I go for 1000uf 16V? I'll be looking at caps that are good up to 105C.

Thanks,
    Yes, bad caps are probably the reason for the long startup. With the exception of the large 450V cap, replace ALL the Capxon caps as ones that are not bulged can still be bad.

You can use Panasonic series FC/FM/FR, or Rubycon ZL/ZLH series for replacements.

You can increase to 16V, but the caps may be physically larger and may not fit correctly if the caps are clustered closely together.

Comment

Hi jetadm123,

Many thanks for your reply.

Looking at the board again, I'll probably replace like for like as there doesn't appear to be much room in the bottom corner where the bulging caps are.

I'll probably order the replacements from CPC and I'll post back here to let you know the outcome.

EDIT: Damm - CPC have a minimum order value of £20! I only need a few capacitors. I'll try RS Online. Other than them, are there any other recommended suppliers in the UK?

Thanks again.
      Last edited by soreilly; 06-27-2012, 10:09 AM. Reason: Preferred supplier had minimum order charge!

Comment

Meant to mean that Farnell have a min order value of £20. Seems CPC Farnell have a handling charge of £5.95 per order.

Comment

I use Farnell quite regularly,and it can be a pain trying to find £20 of items you really need,when the part you want urgently is £1.74.I would have a good look through Ebay UK,as there are a lot of Electronic component Sellers on there,and shipping should be very little for very light Caps.

Comment

Originally posted by Rtech View Post
            I use Farnell quite regularly,and it can be a pain trying to find £20 of items you really need,when the part you want urgently is £1.74.I would have a good look through Ebay UK,as there are a lot of Electronic component Sellers on there,and shipping should be very little for very light Caps.
            NOO!!!

There are waaaaay toooooo many fake capacitor sellers on Ebay! Beware!
            Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

I have some 1000uF 25V ZLG Rubycons (max 5.) PM me if interested. BTW once you put in a few orders there's no min order. And where I work, I can put in an order for a 0.5p resistor, and get it delivered FREE by Farnell next-day.
              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
                NOO!!!

There are waaaaay toooooo many fake capacitor sellers on Ebay! Beware!
                Ben, there is also a lot of good suppliers, and of course you can always send an e-mail and ask what they are if you looking for a set.But they actually do sell Panasonic etc as well as other very good makes.

Comment

Hi Guys,

I ended up ordering them from RS components (Panasonic FM & FC series) and will pick them up from the local depot when I finish my night shift.

Thanks,

Comment

Hi Guys,

Just to let you know I replaced the caps (330uf 10V & 1000uf 10V) yesterday. Put the board back in the monitor and it worked!

The 820uf 25V caps will be replaced later this week - RS didn't have them in the required height (20mm) when I ordered the others.

Photo attached of the new caps (Panasonic).

Regards,
                    Attached Files

Comment

Good work! In many cases, it's usually the 820's that are the first to fail. You can go higher height wise as long as it clears the steel cover that fits over the power supply.

Comment

Hi,

The only 820's available at the time I picked up the others were 25mm high. That was the same distance of the board to the steel cover so no head room.

I have now received 20mm 820's and these will be changed next week. That will then be all the caps changed.

Thanks again for a very informative site.

Comment

There are two other small electrolytic caps visible in those photos. Replace those also, and others elsewhere on the board.

Comment

Hi jsog,

If you mean the two I've highlighted with arrows, then yes these will get done when I replace the 820's next week (highlighted with a *).

Regards,
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by soreilly View Post
                              Hi jsog,

If you mean the two I've highlighted with arrows, then yes these will get done when I replace the 820's next week (highlighted with a *).

Regards,
                              Hi,

Have you change the 330uF,10V and 1uF,50V?
                              Do you know what is the dimension for 330uF,10V & 1uF,50V respectively?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by danny2 View Post
                                Hi,

Have you change the 330uF,10V and 1uF,50V?
                                Do you know what is the dimension for 330uF,10V & 1uF,50V respectively?

Thanks
                                That is a rather odd question - not as though its a recent post.
                                Why do you ask? If you are changing your caps can you not jsut measure the old ones? If they are missing you just need to buy ones that will fit in the
                                available space.
                                Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                                  That is a rather odd question - not as though its a recent post.
                                  Why do you ask? If you are changing your caps can you not jsut measure the old ones? If they are missing you just need to buy ones that will fit in the
                                  available space.
                                  I ask this because im not sure what capacitor size that can fit into my board, there are too many measurement of diameter and height with the value of 330uF,10V,im confused which the selection of capacitor.
                                  so im looking for help to check whether he know the size of the cap.

Comment

Well do you have the old caps?
                                    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                                      Well do you have the old caps?
                                      yes,i haven't dissolder it yet.It still on my board and now my monitor is power on.

Comment

I think I see - you want to buy the caps before you dis-assemble your monitor?
                                        Only problem with that is that the manufacturer may have used a different series of board
                                        to the original posters with different caps. You really need to open it up and check what caps are in there and at the same time measure them.
                                        If it was the same Soreilly used panasonic caps - you can see them in his picture.
                                        We normally recommend FC FM of FR series and Panasonic ONLY do that size in FC
                                        so he probably used this http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/alumin...itors/4490902/
                                        cant help you with the other one though - perhaps just order the smallest one?

Comment

Working...
                                        X