gas-powered irons? disadvantages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: gas-powered irons? disadvantages?

Different irons for different jobs may apply here.
    If your on a motherboard ground plain 1000mf cap thats one type.
    If your in a power supply near the mass of wire connections you definetly need more horsepower.
    I'm going back on topic, I know, thats amazing for me...
    for instance the difference between PIII and the P4 boards, the p4 have very large ground planes. much more difficult.
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

most butane irons i have seen are catalytic.glows orange with no flame.
      a sears craftsman torch/iron i have gets lit and run a few seconds then you blow out the flame.i can solder lugs onto 4ga cables for big inverters with it.

Comment

I can use my butane iron 2 ways:
        1. with the tip capsule which includes the catalytic screen. then the flame goes out after a while, and the catalytic screen remains burning, no matter if there is sputtering in the gas stream. I can still hear the gas sputtering.
        2. as a torch, without the capsule, and thus, without the catalytic screen. Then I can see the flame (3 cm long at maximum), and it is very fragile: if sputtering appears, then it goes out.

In any case, the sputtering noise is easily perceived.

So my question is: do you hear sputtering or fluctuations in your gas-irons (regardless if you are using catalyzer or not)?
        in mine, sputtering appears just after refilling at maximum output. At that moment, the gas output is strongest.

Comment

Originally posted by argaclock
          So my question is: do you hear sputtering or fluctuations in your gas-irons (regardless if you are using catalyzer or not)?
          in mine, sputtering appears just after refilling at maximum output. At that moment, the gas output is strongest.
          That is interesting, I have had a few that sputtered but most do not do that, they just work perfectly.
          I never paid enough attention to think why? Always assumed it was a screwed up tip.
          Jim

Comment

Originally posted by arneson
            That is interesting, I have had a few that sputtered but most do not do that, they just work perfectly.
            I never paid enough attention to think why? Always assumed it was a screwed up tip.
            thanks. can you specify if those irons that sputtered, did it at full gas?
            mine sputters only at full gas, and after being refilled, because then, the pressure is higher and the flame is stronger.

Comment

Yes Arga I'll answer,
              I have almost never "filled one up".
              The few times I did, when I went to use them, they were in my truck in little tiny pieces, literally blown to smitherines. My vehicle can reach extreme temperatures and lots of pressurized things have exploded.
              So I've learned to only partly juice these gas irons.
              My soldering requirements are only at the most 20 minutes, usually only 10 but quite often I'm upside down under a console.
              Jim

Comment

phew, fortunately I will use it at home, with temperatures always below 30C.

ok, maybe the problem is that I refill it too much?. Well, I simply followed the instructions, i.e., I refill it pushing the bottle down until liquid butane overflows to my hand. so I don't think this should be a problem.

Comment

Working...
                X