Keyboard key matrix shorted out - few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keyboard key matrix shorted out - few questions

Just had my first keyboard fail on me overnight while asleep. Acting as if all keys were pressing randomly, the three X-Lock led's blinking all at rapid intervals, etc. It is connected over a PS/2 to USB converter and has been working fine for well over a year till now. Find out the Chip-on-board with epoxy on the keyboards key matrix controller. It let out the magic smoke leaving the burnt smell and a nice brownish discolouration off-centre from the top of the black epoxy. Tested with another keyboard on spare and the converter it is working fine.

The converter used is the one most commonly recommended for even the old IBM Model-M keyboards. Not shown in the images on the page is the fact it is covered by a sticker is that it uses a Cypress CY7C63723C/SXC IC.
    Link @ http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index...id/0/id/124184
    Keyboard used was Compaq Model-5107 due to key layout:

The questions are:
    1) How often is the expected lifespan of the key matrix controller?
    2) What could have caused it? Unclean power from the USB filtered with the converters' 10uf cap overtime? If a possibility... would changing the cap be of any benefit as the screening on the board indicates a larger cap that what is in place?
    3) Do key matrix controller IC's overheat at all and if so what could cause that to happen?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by chozo4; 12-02-2015, 11:56 PM.
    Even crap caps can be useful... such as blank rounds for prop gunfights.

Re: Keyboard key matrix shorted out - few questions

Compaq KB... I would chalk it up as a fluke... As for key matrix controllers... IBM model M.... Enough said.
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

shit happens.

Comment

I have only one dead keyboard. It was given to me along with a dead motherboard from an eMachines PC. Both seem to have received the high 5VSB "treatment" from a Bestec ATX-250 12E PSU.

Therefore, the only two things I can think of that will cause a keyboard to fail:
        1) lightning strike falling nearby while PC is left turned ON
        2) 5V/5VSB overvoltage from PSU.

Comment

chips fail, that's the nature of things.
          it's a microcontroller wih a long cable that can act as an antenna.
          ram failure, rom failure, logic failure, clock failure etc.

Comment

Working...
          X