Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Msi g31m-f

Hi all,
    Quite some time I haven't written anything here in the forum, been on EEVblog instructing myself with Dave.
    Any ways I got a cheapy from ebay a MSI G31M with bad caps for $8.00 and since I already got a spare 775 cpu and memory available it is a win for me. Of course hoping this MB works, which I think it will.

I wanted to make my contribution on this subject and here it is.

The capacitors in need of replacing (at time of writing where removed)
    NCC KZG 6.3V 1000uF
    TEAPO SZ 16V 470uF
    NCC KZJ 6.3V 1800uF

There is a set near the VRM that are in good condition and to my surprise they are Panasonic. Tested those and are in good shape.
    The black mark on top where the ones i was expecting to replace but again there are some Panasonic one that I will leave in the board.

Once finished recapping I will see if this was worth it.
    Attached Files
    A Picture of subject is always Welcome

Things saved from the e-landfill:
    Vizio VA26LHDTV10T 26" - Bad EEPROM Cap
    Asus PTGD1-LA Full Recap - Cha1 DDR socket damage
    MSI PM8M3-V Unstable CPU Recap CPU VRM circuit
    ViewSonic VA712B - still working on it
    Kindle Fire USB Connector
    MSI G31M-F Full Recap - Record Breaker done in 3Hrs.
    MSI P67A-G43 BIOS chip Reprogram - Tested and Happy

The list will go on thanks to the people of this forum and many hours of reading.

Re: Msi g31m-f

Not bad. Those boards do seem to be decent if you recap them.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Be careful about updating the BIOS of any MSI motherboard, and especially avoid the methods recommended most highly by MSI, as this FAQ from MSI's forums explains:

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=174985.0

They're really serious about doing the flash from a USB stick.

4 of my 4 BIOS flash failures have been with MSI motherboards.

Comment

Re: Msi G31M-F

Originally posted by larrymoencurly View Post
        Be careful about updating the BIOS of any MSI motherboard, and especially avoid the methods recommended most highly by MSI, as this FAQ from MSI's forums explains:

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=174985.0

They're really serious about doing the flash from a USB stick.

4 of my 4 BIOS flash failures have been with MSI motherboards.
        Interesting Information
        Today I received another MSI with a Dead Bios, a P67A, another Post about it is due.

About the G31 its been recapped, tomorrow, testing. BTW this was the easiest board I have recapped in a while. The holes where a bit larger than normal for what I have seen in other boards, forgot to take pictures you guys to see.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by crash-cyberdrive; 11-30-2013, 08:46 PM.

The list will go on thanks to the people of this forum and many hours of reading.

Comment

I would toss those Panasonics from vrm-input too, but only valid replacement, for those FL or FJ, is polymer...

Comment

Originally posted by tmiha71 View Post
            I would toss those Panasonics from vrm-input too, but only valid replacement, for those FL or FJ, is polymer...
            I thought of that but I'm having issues selecting the closest match to them almost in all of the board I worked on.
            I think is it a good idea to make a comparison table for from electro to poly caps. But I know it can take a while to make one unless there is one already made selection table.
            I do have cross reference tables but they are for electo to electro and not like i mentioned.

Testing will be done today though, the modules I had around are dead and I received a new set today. Let you guys know.
            Last edited by crash-cyberdrive; 12-04-2013, 05:41 PM.

Comment

I use 560uF 4V Sanyo OS-CON SEPC polies on those boards around the CPU VRM. It always works perfectly.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I think you will be okay leaving those Panny's. Especially since they're just on the 12V input and not the VRM output filtering.

Comment

^
                  I was talking about the small FLs under the CPU heat sink

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                    ^
                    I was talking about the small FLs under the CPU heat sink
                    How do I know who manufactured those poly caps? are they Panasonic too?

What big FAIL the memory modules I received are EEC registered and the notch is off set how could I have missed that. Damn Hurry
                    I posted them for sale on eBay 2GB NT2GT72U4NB1BN-3C

Now have to wait again.
                    Last edited by crash-cyberdrive; 12-05-2013, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Those caps under the CPU are not polies. They are electrolytics. While those are also pannies, electrolytics don't often do well under a CPU heat sink.

Comment

^ Especially if it's a Netburst CPU. It may just be the lighting but it looks like that FET, Q7 is a little discolored from heat.

Comment

It' looks like all upper fets had fun time (only three of them) and lower fets are doubled (ground bouncing ?)...

For vrm-input, as heard on this forum 4 times poly (as Nichicon L8 270uF 16V)...

This board (CPU-vrm) did not played well, all other caps are baked...

Comment

Re: Msi G31M-F

Yesterday got the proper memory modules, this morning got them installed before going to work, and Success. the board self restarted three times and the thing posted properly. Like Mr.Burns would say: Excellent. At least was a good CPU laying around.

At time of this posting have left the unit making a burn-in test and load tests with Linux live USB. I has already pass a couple tests but now it is on stability test hope it pass.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X