2011 Panasonic TC-P50S30 IS DEAD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2011 Panasonic TC-P50S30 IS DEAD

sorry if I step in, don't mean to break the flow. I was following / reading the exchange as I have / am working on the same set but with flashing codes... am hoping your progress is going good and ultimately successful.

From my read of your work, I think you need to check the P board further... especially with regards to the "ic701/z701" reference. If I understand the "wired test" that you performed, that wiring actually "steps around" that ic and thus, you can't be sure that it is ok from your test. The test on page 24 seems like the one that tests that IC. Further, your question about VCC never appears to get answered. Basically you need to check the ic to see if the standby voltage shows up somewhere on the pins of that IC as shown in slide 24. You need that voltage for that IC to operate and cause "good things" there after.

I checked continuity between the chip and p34... it appears to go from p34 and pins 5 and the last one on that side (pin 16... sorry).
    Last edited by budwich; 07-14-2018, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew F. Ali View Post
      The A-Bd sends out the TV-SUB-ON signal to the P-Bd to generate the F15V which causes the relays to 'click' and the 15V goes to the A-Bd. to produce SUB5V, SUB1.8V and SUB1.2V to power various circuits in the A-Bd. So as long as the TV-SUB-ON signal does not go to the P-Bd. the set will be dead. Again this points to an A-Bd. problem and as you said it may be easier to just look for a replacement board rather than try to replce the IC on the A-Bd that generate the TV-SUB-ON signal.
      Thanks for the info. I'm going to ease off for a bit and try some more later. I appreciate all the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
        sorry if I step in, don't mean to break the flow. I was following / reading the exchange as I have / am working on the same set but with flashing codes... am hoping your progress is going good and ultimately successful.

From my read of your work, I think you need to check the P board further... especially with regards to the "ic701/z701" reference. If I understand the "wired test" that you performed, that wiring actually "steps around" that ic and thus, you can't be sure that it is ok from your test. The test on page 24 seems like the one that tests that IC. Further, your question about VCC never appears to get answered. Basically you need to check the ic to see if the standby voltage shows up somewhere on the pins of that IC as shown in slide 24. You need that voltage for that IC to operate and cause "good things" there after.

I checked continuity between the chip and p34... it appears to go from p34 and pins 5 and the last one on that side (pin 16... sorry).
        Thanks for the good hopes. Google says VCC=voltage@common collector. My personal opinion of Andrews wired test was to basically bypass the A board to test the P board, which I think was successful. I agree, ic701, has to be involved. I'll check for 5vstby on z701. I'm currently double checking the pin out on ic 5000. It needs to have 5vstby going in and 3.3v coming out for the red led on the front as well as other output voltages. SMALL STEPS.

Comment

Pin out readings on ic 5000: #30=4.75v, 29=3.1v. All other pins-0v.
          No reading on pin 28, was looking for 1.2 but nothing there. I used the stock
          pin out picture for reference, the pic is bad, fuzzy, hard to read, anyway, not much happening with ic5000.

Pin out readings on Z701: #s 5, 10, 11, 13,16 all 5v
          #19-4.5v plus clicked both relays(rl101,rl102)
          #23-4.75v
          25-2.6v
          26-4.75v
          27-4.5v
          28-3.6v
          30-5.0v. All other pins -0v.
          All readings were taken with tv plugged in, no power buttons were touched.
          There's a lot going on on ic z701.
          Attached Files

Comment

thanks... again sorry, if I have muddied the waters. I am going by the same "troubleshooting guide" you are... and the "flow charts" as posted / included thereof. To me the chart 24 is the basic starting point. IF you can't get past that "flow", then it is unlikely that the rest will follow appropriately.... hence checks in and around that flow need to be "there". Having said that, z701 is pretty "super" and I am not able to truly figure out the datasheets and operation thereof (ie. past my pay grade).

As an example, an per chart 24, it would appear that some operation from the micro in z701 causes ic5000 to operate. IF I understand your initial tests which you indicate / point at ic5000 failure, my question is are you seeing those two voltages coming from the ic5000 ever in standby? If not, then either the "stimulas" is not there or that chip has an issue generating / switching the voltage as shown.

Further, if I understand the "wiring test" that you followed (as suggested earlier) and it resulted in some "good things", then to me this points towards the p card and potentially the z701 as the interesting point.

Still further... I realize that the charts are a "reverse engineering effort" and may NOT be any way near how the actual system works ... :-( As an example, I did not find any "direct connection" from p6 to z701... it likely goes thru some sort of transistor or otherwise. Similarly from p6 to the p34 although the p34 to z701 is there (meter wise).
            Last edited by budwich; 07-14-2018, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Hey budwich, you're not muddying anything, I need all the help I can get. My pay grade is the lowest...lol. Chart 24 is important...agreed. The two voltages I got from ic5000 WERE from/during standby. Standby voltage is all I have now. New observations: A1 pin1-3.2v, A1 pin2-2.0v, A1 Pin3-3.2v YEA(as per chart 24). Also as soon as I plug the tv in, ic5000 gets so hot you can't hold your finger tip on it. Unplug tv, it cools as quickly. One after dark observation:with tv plugged in D3050 on Aboard glows red, like a red led. I never saw that in daylight. Ic5000 concerns me getting so hot(possible short to ground,IDK). Closing on an up note. Having 3.2v @ A1 Pin3 is good, it shows me that ic5000 is doing something. SMALL STEPS

Comment

Ok sports fans, new news. The relays are now clicking when I plug the tv in...why...I don't know. Maybe they were from the beginning, I'm about half deaf and they aren't very loud anyway or maybe my testing did something, IDK. Anyway, we're going a new direction on the troubleshooting flowchart now, pic included, it looks like a bad Aboard...period. IDK if I'll replace, try to test and repair(way over my head) or just give up on it, like the original owner did. Anyway, thanks to all. SMALL STEPS!
                Attached Files

Comment

On a side note, the last test was slide 33 from Panasonic manual. It says to momentarily ground P6 pin8. P6 pin8 is marked ground on the board...? I'm asking myself...is this a controlled ground? Answer...NO. It is a constant ground. Then I ask, what's the point of momentarily grounding it if it's constantly grounded anyway? My head hurts....it beats me!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by notch8 View Post
                    Hey budwich, you're not muddying anything, I need all the help I can get. My pay grade is the lowest...lol. Chart 24 is important...agreed. The two voltages I got from ic5000 WERE from/during standby. Standby voltage is all I have now. New observations: A1 pin1-3.2v, A1 pin2-2.0v, A1 Pin3-3.2v YEA(as per chart 24). Also as soon as I plug the tv in, ic5000 gets so hot you can't hold your finger tip on it. Unplug tv, it cools as quickly. One after dark observation:with tv plugged in D3050 on Aboard glows red, like a red led. I never saw that in daylight. Ic5000 concerns me getting so hot(possible short to ground,IDK). Closing on an up note. Having 3.2v @ A1 Pin3 is good, it shows me that ic5000 is doing something. SMALL STEPS
                    sorry but I am not sure I follow this about voltages and "new observations"... please clarify.

are you saying when you first started this "testing", you only saw the "5v" standby and nothing else... on the "A card"... and now after doing some testing, you are seeing additional voltages? are they now there or you never checked for them before.

Further, I re-read your "wired test". I am not sure that the outcome of that test was totally good... but maybe. You indicate that you measured 12v at points that were suppose to be 15v... maybe ok as the "test load" loaded down the power (I didn't trace thru the test completely). Further, you indicated that you may have shorted a connection. That might be a problem as I am not sure what those points included but it appears that it may have impacted the 15v supply.... hopefully not.

some of your further observations don't give me a good feeling about how hot ic5000 gets. It may be bad OR the subtending connection (power to other points) are drawing more power than they should causing IC5000 a problem.

lastly... after your "wired test" and now with everything back to "as designed" (ie. things have been removed and the circuits are all plugged in), do you get voltages as identified on slide 25 (assuming you are pressing ON, I think to cause the 15v action)?

Also I take back my statement about the "wire test bypassing the z701"... the connection to p6 pin 7 stimulates z701 which then actions the switch of the 15v supply to the tested p6 pins... it does test a bit of z701. I think the wired test does appear to bypass the standby operation of z701.... but if I understand some of your observations, more voltages in standby appear to have shown up (ie. 3.3)

Lastly, in your current state, can you confirm that you have no LED showing / lit.

just re-read your quoted post about the diode glowing.... that doesn't sound good. You should try and see if you can trace where / what circuitry it involves.
                    Last edited by budwich; 07-15-2018, 07:34 AM.

Comment

ok... the D3050 is just the optical audio output... yep its an LED and will glow... :-) It would appear that the A board has some form of function / powering based on that.

Comment

On a side note, the last test was slide 33 from Panasonic manual. It says to momentarily ground P6 pin8. P6 pin8 is marked ground on the board...? I'm asking myself...is this a controlled ground? Answer...NO. It is a constant ground. Then I ask, what's the point of momentarily grounding it if it's constantly grounded anyway? My head hurts....it beats me!
                        I think you missread that, it says to momentarily ground pin 8 of A1, which is just bypassing the power switch. [key3]
                        This seems to be refering to the tc-p50sT30 gpf14du chassis. The tc-p50s30, A1 has 6 pins the tc-p50sT30 A1 has 8 pins
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by R_J; 07-15-2018, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                          I think you missread that, it says to momentarily ground pin 8 of A1, which is just bypassing the power switch. [key3]
                          This seems to be refering to the tc-p50sT30 gpf14du chassis. The tc-p50s30, A1 has 6 pins the tc-p50sT30 A1 has 8 pins
                          Good call RJ, I confused A1 with P6, you're also right about different model #. I had already figured that out but it's all I had to go by. My A1 has 7 pins...? See pic. Unless I can get more info for my model, I'm at a standstill. I think A-board failure but not going to throw money at it to find out, many thanks.
                          Attached Files

Comment

What info? do you have the service manual? If not, download it fromhere

Comment

I did a search on IC5000. I remembered about someone else having one that got hot. I found the thread and I realize it's a different model Panasonic than mine. His result was A board replacement. Some pics for reference
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                                What info? do you have the service manual? If not, download it fromhere
                                Yes I have it. It doesn't help much, I'm a novice. My ac input is good, my fuses are good, I haven't figured out what NG means yet and I don't know how to check/test the Aboard.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Now that you did the self-test with the P-Bd. and the Test lamp came on bright and remained on and all the voltages were produces and the Vda is OK. There is no need to further troubleshoot the P. Bd. Remove the bypass resistors and re-connect the P. Bd to the rest of the TV. Leave the Test lamp in place and try to turn on the TV. If the Test lamp come on and stay on then that is an indication the Main Bd. is OK. Remove the Test lamp and the ac input and measure across the SC Bd. where the P2 connector would go. Do yo have a short??

Comment

Previously posted: If the Test lamp come on and stay on then that is an indication the Main Bd. is OK.

I forgot to mention the you should, with the Test lamp still connected, measure the voltages on P6 to the Main Bd to verify the Main Bd. is not pulling down the 5V and 15V etc, before testing for a short on the SC Bd.

Comment

Yes I have it. It doesn't help much, I'm a novice. My ac input is good, my fuses are good, I haven't figured out what NG means yet.
                                      NG stands for Not Good. Common abbreviation in Japanese service manuals and schematics.
                                      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                                      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                                      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I think your early observation about the ic5000 is good indicator of a problem on two fronts: first, the "hot" doesn't sound right and two, the missing 1.2v missing doesn't sound right. Both the 3.3 and 1.2 come off the same "stby" voltage input which would suggest that there is a problem with that regulator in the chip... although it could be that the 1.2 is being pulled down by the subtending chip. Without 1.2v, the main processor will not be functioning. Either way, unless you are into chip replacement, it would certainly appear that you at least have an A-board issue.

lastly... are you now seeing the led indicator on the panel light in standby?
                                        Last edited by budwich; 07-16-2018, 07:34 AM.

Comment

with power off / disconnected, check pin 28 on ic5000 (ie. 1.2v supply for the micro) for resistance to ground. Mine reads in the >50K ohms. This tells me at least that the supply voltage will see a relatively good load from the main processor. I suspect yours will read badly... :-(

Comment

Working...
                                          X