Intel D965PERL Motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intel D965PERL Motherboard

I was upgrading my processor yesterday and noticed 2 identical swollen caps between the memory slot and the processor. Everything else looked fine and the board is still working great. Does anyone know what are the best caps to use to replace these? The pc is running now so I don't have access but is there a way to find out what the specs are of those caps so I can order some like by someone who knows ?
    Thanks,
    db
    Regards,
    db

Re: Intel D965PERL Motherboard

Can find no reference to this board on the Intel Site.

You don't mean D865PERL do you?

If so there are two tall caps - 560uF x 6.3V on my PERL board but they are Ruby MCZs which are very reliable caps.

Comment

I recapped one for a client yesturday, had a bunch of bad Nichicon HN(M)'s in it.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

I guess it helps to know what I am working on Yes, it is a D865PERL and has been rock solid for almost 3 years now so I want to keep it going. In fact, its still under warranty till July. Problem is, Intel wants my board shipped back first and then they will ship a replacement (probably refurbed) and I can't have my pc down for 1 or 2 weeks or however long that would take. If I could find another D865PERL new I would buy it and then send my other one back to Intel. Thats is why I figured I would get the parts and fix it myself.
        Thanks,
        db
        Regards,
        db

Comment

I need to know what these 2 caps are so I can order replacements for my Intel D865PERL. The rest look fine...and the board is still running fine.
          Attached Files
          Regards,
          db

Comment

cant you read it off the caps?
            capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Oh, you want me to do *all* the work That was a pic I got off the net. I will have to shut my system down and get it on the table and get some light and a magnifying glass on it. I am currently using the pc
              I thought maybe the last guy in this thread would know as he just did one of these.
              Regards,
              db

Comment

lazy ass

are they really 560uf. look like 820uf?????
                capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Actually I tried to read it with a flashlight and magnifying glass with the system running and one is completely inaccesable and the other must have the rating on the opposite side as I can't get the uf number. I will just have to shut it down later and pull some cards etc so I can read them...
                  Regards,
                  db

Comment

OK then. Now we know what it is - here's the bad news. You are gonna have to replace a lot more than 2 caps on this board unless you are very lucky.

As TC said, the CPU row typically has Nichicon HM caps that crap out first, so I would inspect these and determine what they are.

These boards often have "yellow sargeants" also which will need replacing. If it was me I would also consider replacing any KZGs since these are starting to get a bad rep.

Best option is to get another 865 chipset board and swap it out while you rework this one or plan for some down time.

Pull the dammed board out and note all the caps and be done with it and stop pussyfooting around. There is a large degree of variation in the caps on this board so internet pics aint gonna help.

Comment

Well, the funny thing is that the board is under warranty and the main reason I want to fix it myself is to avoid down time. I can just send it back to Intel and wait for them to send me a replacement board, but where is the fun in that?
                      Regards,
                      db

Comment

Ok, I had my pc get a blue screen shutdown today so I guess its the bulging caps ready to hose me. I pulled the pc out from under the desk and onto the table and identified the caps. They say to replace the ones 680uf and higher so that only leaves me with 8 to replace, If I add the 560uf little yellow guys it makes 17. So I am ready to order
                        Regards,
                        db

Comment

I too have one of these boards, but I don't see any caps that are venting to the point where electrolyte is visible or the vent has bulged. However, I have noticed an increasing number seem to have a cloudy white substance (very very light coating though) on them. Is that electrolyte?

The big symptom with this board is that I can get it to post, but when it tries to boot XP it blue screens immediately even before you can see the boot up screen

Comment

I am looking at my D865PERL.

The two caps are "Rubycon MCZ 6.3V 560uF".

The problem with my board is that some of the PCI slots don't work, otherwise it works great.

Yes I do see some Nichicon HMs. Now that you mention it, maybe replacing those will fix the problems with the PCI slots.
                            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

I had a D865GBF. It has a fairly similar layout. It had a few failed 820uF 10v Nichicon HN. I replaced them with pannies and it worked. It seems like Intel use MCZ on some boards and HN on other boards.
                              I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X