DFI NFII-Ultra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DFI NFII-Ultra

My Mom had a machine I built a couple years ago with this board. It had been giving her lots of trouble as of late and I replaced it. Well, I was hoping I could use the board/cpu/memory to replace same in my server, which is on a ECS K7S5A, which I noticed is starting to blow caps when I dusted it last month.
    Of course its not that simple and the NFII is to the point of launching caps.
    I actually have no idea how it was running at all. No wonder it wouldnt stay running.
    Just as an experiment, Im going to try recapping it. If it works, new server. If not, 5.56x45mm..
    Heres a pic of the VRM area.

Do you think there is any latent damage to the board from that one venting onto it?
    I got these cap sizes.
    16v
    470uf x4
    1500uf x4
    10v
    1000uf x3
    6.3v
    3300uf x6
    1000uf x5
    470uf x2

I can just replace those 10v parts with 6.3v ones right? Seems to be alright from my reading. I cant seem to find any 6.3v 470uf parts. 16v would be alright there?

Re: DFI NFII-Ultra

Colt 45, and two zig-zags, baby that's all we need...

If the board still POSTs, but is just unstable, there was most likely no lasting damage.

Comment

Yeah, it was running right up until I shut it down to replace it. What can I use to remove that stuff? I already decapped it since I was bored. I ended up just buying VRM replacements for now along with ones for those little Teapo 470uf caps which are right next to the 12v CPU feed. I got Samxon for those and the 12v side of the VRM and Rubycon for the low voltage side.

Comment

For the voltage on the caps. it is usually best to go with the same size or a little higher in voltage, but i would not go down. so if 10v go with 10 or 16, but if 6.3 then go with 6.3 or 10, etc.

as for the cleaning, I would wipe the area down with rubbing alcohol and let sit a bit to make sure it is completely dry before soldering the new caps in place. If you want to make sure everything is really clean then you could always wash the whole board, but that will take much longer.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ht=clean+board

Comment

Decapped. :P

Comment

New ones installed: (not in order)
            http://colt45.ws/misc/DFIIRECAPPED.JPG
            http://colt45.ws/misc/DFIIRECAPPED2.JPG
            http://colt45.ws/misc/DFIIRECAPPED3.JPG
            Ive never soldered on a PCB before, so it does not look that great, but they make a good connection. I tested each as I worked along. Some of the caps are crooked because I ran out of hands.
            Now I feel bad for not replacing the 1000s and 470s around the DDR and AGP slots. All these nice shiny caps for the cpu but cheapo Teapos and OSTs around there. Oh well, maybe next time.
            I probably wont be able to test it until Later tomorrow or Saturday. I have other things to do. Ill probably thrown this old Duron I have in it and pull the 100MHz jumper just to make sure it does not smoke the CPU for some reason. If it POSTs, Ill install my 3200+ then boot up a Gentoo Live CD. Ill pull the world and make file from my server and let it go on a emerge -e. With the test flag enabled it should catch problems.

Comment

does not look too bad. I have definitely seen a lot worse. Some do look like they have a little bit too much solder on them, but then again it may be the pictures.

Comment

It runs! Muhahahaha!

I did put a bit too much on them. I am a bit OCD, I think. "Hmm, thats not nearly enough." *tap* *tilt head* "More!" *tap* "..." *tap* *tap* "Okay, thats probably too much now."

Comment

i know that feeling.. what i usually do is if there is too much on it, i tap the soldering iron on the table to knock the excess solder off the tip, then just heat each joint one by one that need it while tapping the excess solder in between each one. the excess solder will be sucked onto the soldering iron. but hey, as long as it works.. good for you..

Comment

Yes, Im very happy. I have an Athlon XP-M (Barton) running 12x200 atm.

Comment

Did 120 hours of P95 TT at 12x200 1.8vcore. :P

Comment

I finally did do the other ones.

I replaced all 8 1000uF 10V and 6.3V parts with Samxon GC 1000uF 6.3V
                        The two 470uF 6.3V parts got Samxon GD 560uF 6.3V.

Comment

Working...
                        X