Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dell GX270 with bad batch of Rubycons or bad board design?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell GX270 with bad batch of Rubycons or bad board design?

Well, a customer of mine contacted me about yet another GX270 with bad Rubycon MCZ near the VDRAM FET. She is afraid that almost all the stock of these boards are plagued by this. What gives? Bad batch of caps or just poor board design? Once she sends the board, I'm going to replace it with an OSCON SEPC 560uF after measuring the max potential between the legs does not exceed 4V.

This is the recap I did on one of the boards:
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4412

I doubt it is a bad batch because ONLY that particular cap in that particular LOCATION blew up.
    Last edited by Super Nade; 12-05-2007, 11:12 AM.
    Q6700 @ 3.6 GHz
    Zippy GSM-6600P
    Curcial Ballistix PC6400 (4 x 1Gb) Micron D9GMH
    Abit IP35Pro
    ATi HD4870

Re: Dell GX270 with bad batch of Rubycons or bad board design?

Are there any unpopulated cap locations in parallel with the one that fails? I'm guessing probably not, or Dell would have started using it. But if there is, it might help relieve some of the stress.

It would be interesting if somebody (probably with an oscilloscope) could figure out what the problem is with that cap. Maybe excessive ripple or bad voltage spikes or something. I don't have one of those boards but I find it interesting anyway.

Comment

I'll be getting a few boards to work on, so I'll try to provide some scope shots. Curiously, the boards seem to POST, enter Windows blah blah without any problems?
      Q6700 @ 3.6 GHz
      Zippy GSM-6600P
      Curcial Ballistix PC6400 (4 x 1Gb) Micron D9GMH
      Abit IP35Pro
      ATi HD4870

Comment

Originally posted by Super Nade
        I'll be getting a few boards to work on, so I'll try to provide some scope shots. Curiously, the boards seem to POST, enter Windows blah blah without any problems?
        Well, I'm no expert on analyzing such things, I'm just an interested observer. I've never even used an oscilloscope.

Comment

We have had 75 to 100 GX270 MBs replaced because of the failing capacitors. We are now starting to find replacement motherboards with the Rubycon 6.3v 1800uf MCZs blown. We also have found a few Nichion 1500uf 6.3v HN(M)s blown on these same motherboards. Since the Dell warranty has expired as of 1/31, I have been recapping the failed motherboards. I am starting to wonder if the cooling of the Dell cases are leading to failure of the 105c rated caps.

Comment

and the circuit design, psu etc.
            nice to see you are dealing with it. got any pics of what you are doing?
            capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

i put 820@2.5 fujitsu re or ncc psa in all the vrm out and vdimm positions.
              i have been using 2200@6.3 mbz at vdimm in +5
              at vrm in +12 i use sanyo sep or ncc ps 330@16 and fill the 2 empty spots on the killerbee sff board.
              i have never seen the 1800@16 mcz bad in several hundred of these i have rebuilt.
              1 of the vdimm caps fails more often since it is near the(hot)vagp reg.

Comment

how to do it pics
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X