Remove liquid inside laptop cpu socket S1 AMD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remove liquid inside laptop cpu socket S1 AMD

Hello everyone! I have another problem which might help other experience the same or identical issue!

I have a Toshiba Satellite C660D LA-6843P motherboard, extremely rare that has a liquid milk spilled. After thorough testing I found out that most of the liquid spilled on top of its heatsink and inside cpu socket S1.

Now if I remove CPU (AMD V140 2.3GHz) all lights working and power is properly flowing on motherboard. I even charged the battery completely with cpu off. As soon as I screw in cpu on socket immediately my charger -on power socket not inside laptop- light blinks and 2 Volts are passing from the main connector instead of 19V, a short circuit.

My actions were to spray a lot of contact cleaner to cpu socket and brush it but to no avail.I also tried different cpu. Same symptoms persist.

What do you think should I do next?? I am thinking maybe hot distilled water on socket to remove sugar from pins. I can't find a replacement mobo, it is a rare model I guess!
    Attached Files

Re: Remove liquid inside laptop cpu socket S1 AMD

Try washing both the CPU and motherboard, see here for instructions on how to do this. Make sure to remove all batteries before doing this, and to let it dry completely before putting them back in.

Comment

It could be that the CPU is shorted. They can fail in such a way, if you can locate the datasheet for it, try testing from VCORE to GND.
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by cheapie View Post
        Try washing both the CPU and motherboard, see here for instructions on how to do this. Make sure to remove all batteries before doing this, and to let it dry completely before putting them back in.
        Nice post, although I am sure that I won't be able to find "Mean Green" cleaner here in Greece. Hot water is on my mind because I need to remove the remaining sugar at cpu socket pins. I think I can hear it making a crunching nois when I turn the screw to secure the CPU!

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
        It could be that the CPU is shorted. They can fail in such a way, if you can locate the datasheet for it, try testing from VCORE to GND.
        At page 5 of datasheet that I upload has the cpu pinouts. Can you point me to the correct?? At A7 POWER OK (PWROK) I get no voltage without CPU.
        Also tried with different CPU a Turion x64 for 1st gen s. S1 but still the same symptoms! V140 is a 4th generation S1.
        Last edited by Dimitrios; 01-29-2014, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimitrios View Post
          Nice post, although I am sure that I won't be able to find "Mean Green" cleaner here in Greece. Hot water is on my mind because I need to remove the remaining sugar at cpu socket pins. I think I can hear it making a crunching nois when I turn the screw to secure the CPU!
          Most mild cleaners should work, but hot water is probably worth a try if you can't find anything.

Comment

Yeah, I am gonna ask about a proper mild cleaner for the job! Thank you all for your help. Will try all this cause I think that if the socket get a good clean inside, I have many chances to resurrect this motherboard. I really hope that the short hasn't damaged any mosfets...

Comment

2 Volts are passing from the main connector instead of 19V, a short circuit.
              You can be almost sure that VCORE pwm circuit is damaged.
              This voltage should not be present in S5 state.

Comment

You mean that the proccessors Vcore has some kind of damage? Can you take a look at the schematics I posted in my first post to point me where to test?? Thank you for replying!

Comment

Originally posted by Francisco.s View Post
                  You can be almost sure that VCORE pwm circuit is damaged.
                  This voltage should not be present in S5 state.
                  I mean when CPU is removed 19V passes from charger to connector. It is normal in S5 state. As soon as I insert CPU in socket charger is giving 2Volts and there is a problem there, either in CPU contacts or in CPU Vpower supply, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by cheapie View Post
                    Most mild cleaners should work
                    Yes, but NOTHING WITH CHLORINE! I'm not sure if ammonia-based cleaners can damage traces too, so I'd steer clear from those as well.
                    Hot water and dish detergent usually works well for me. I have washed several electronics with that, and all are still working.

Comment

I found a good liquid in my local shop. A good mild cleaner. I want to dissolve sugar inside the cpu socket and see if the old CPU still works and also I hope that CPU circuit still works...!

Comment

You mean that the proccessors Vcore has some kind of damage? Can you take a look at the schematics I posted in my first post to point me where to test?? Thank you for replying!
                        Yes, VR_ON signal can't be active in S5 state, so if you have 19 volts at cpu socket, there must be a mosfet in short-circuit, so check mosfet at CPU_CORE circuit. (PQ37 and PQ40)

Comment

As I said the input dc power jack PJP1, page 32 gives 19V and not on VR_ON signal. But as soon as I insert CPU the dc power jack gives 2 Volts only and I really hope to be the sugar that is inside CPU socket from the milk spill and not a busted component, although I know that would be the best possible scenario!

Comment

Hello everyone

I found this Forum by searching for bad Caps and i´m glad to have found this.

I´m sure i´ll find one or the other solution here

Comment

As I said the input dc power jack PJP1, page 32 gives 19V and not on VR_ON signal. But as soon as I insert CPU the dc power jack gives 2 Volts only and I really hope to be the sugar that is inside CPU socket from the milk spill and not a busted component, although I know that would be the best possible scenario!
                              VR_ON signal enables pwm output for CPU_CORE circuit.

What about PQ37 and PQ40?

Comment

Will test PQ37 and PQ40 on diode mode in my multimeter. I will also check VR_ON with and without CPU and will post back results, thank you very much!

Comment

pulire con ultrasuoni

Comment

Originally posted by inspirim View Post
                                    pulire con ultrasuoni
                                    Clean with ultrasonic

Comment

But as soon as I insert CPU the dc power jack gives 2 Volts
                                      CPU shouldn't receive any voltage until power button is pressed, if you put cpu and 19 volts goes down, there'll be a mosfet in short-circuit.
                                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck_converter

Comment

VR_ON signal enables pwm output for CPU_CORE circuit.

What about PQ37 and PQ40?
                                        Well I finding 500 Ohms in one direction and 750 Ohms in the other direction tested on diode mode with no CPU inserted. With CPU inserted I am getting 0 Ohms So CPU is toast or socket has been in short circuit and busted?? With CPU removed all voltages are correct as far as I measured, power led is on and I even charged the battery well...

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
                                        Clean with ultrasonic
                                        That's a good idea, althought it must be a big ultrasonic machine capable of fitting the whole motherboard inside!
                                        CPU shouldn't receive any voltage until power button is pressed, if you put cpu and 19 volts goes down, there'll be a mosfet in short-circuit.
                                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck_converter
                                        Again I am referring to dc_in jack that must be 19V in power off to give supply to always_5V and always_3.3V.

Comment

Working...
                                        X