A couple LCD TV repairs Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple LCD TV repairs Needed

I have 2 different LCD TV's with 2 different problems I have already bought TV's to replace these 2 but kept them because I want to try to fix them if at all possible instead of just getting rid of them or throwing them away. The first one is a memorex MLT3221. The problem with this TV is that there is no back light there is sound and faint picture but no back light. I am assuming it is a power supply issue maybe a fuse or capacitor? I have torn apart laptops, desktops, iPods, all kinds of electronics and fixed them these will be the first LCD TV's that I have attempted to repair but I want to see if I can get them fixed but I don't want to buy a part and have it be wrong and wast that money. The second TV is a lg 32lc2du. The problem with this TV is that it wont stay on. It will turn on and run fine and then it will just power down and the green light will just keep blinking I am almost certain this is a power supply I have heard these models had problems with them. After it shuts down you have to let it sit before it will turn back on if you don't the power light will just blink. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: A couple LCD TV repairs Needed

Please remove the backs of the tvs and post pictures of the power supplies. Make sure the picture is within 2000 x 2000.
    Attached Files

Comment

Please start a separate thread for the second tv Put the make and model number in the title and if room a clue to the fault "keeps switching off"
      Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

I will leave this thread as the memorex MLT3221 thread and start another for the lg sorry about that. I will post the memorex picutres in a minute.

Comment

pictures of power supply on memorex
          Attached Files

Comment

same pictures just trying to make sure they are big enough let me know if I need to take other photos or closer photos
            Attached Files

Comment

Well you have at least one obviously bloated cap on the power supply. I always advise people that if you see one bad cap, you should replace them all (cockroach theory).

My standard advice for replacing caps (regulars may skip).

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...84&postcount=3
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks for the replies the question that I have for you is when you say replace all the caps to be safe are you only talking on the power supply just wanting to make sure also I have never changed one before so before I go to replacing them just want to know how to approach it. Do they need soldered in? I am not around the tv at this moment so I am not looking at it so sorry if I am asking questions that I could probably answer if I was around the tv. Like I said this is my first attempt at repairing any lcd tv's I just would rather save them than just throw them away if I can. Thanks again

Comment

FAQ

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=485

Excellent soldering video on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_NU2ruzyc4
                  --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Got the old caps off the board ordered all new ones just waiting on them to come in once they do I will put the board back together and see if it works. I tried getting the caps at my local radio shack so I did not have to wait on them to get here but they did not carry what I needed

Comment

Originally posted by dhoff024 View Post
                      I tried getting the caps at my local radio shack so I did not have to wait on them to get here but they did not carry what I needed
                      Re: RadioShack. Ignore advice given in post #7 at your own risk and don't when it doesn't work.
                      Last edited by retiredcaps; 03-18-2013, 11:20 PM.
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I checked there to see if they had anything so that I would not have to wait on them to come in but I ended up ordering nichicon caps online they should be here tomorrow

Comment

Replaced the caps today put everything back together and the TV works perfect. Thanks for all the advice and help this was my first TV repair I am glad I could get it fixed instead of just throwing it away. Thanks again

Comment

Well done Nice to hear a good fix. You can start on the lG now. Perhaps you have and ive missed it!
                            Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Well done. Feels pretty good to save them, doesn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                                Well done Nice to hear a good fix. You can start on the lG now. Perhaps you have and ive missed it!

Thank you and thanks for all the help and that is my next task I got the caps pulled off the lg last night ordered new rubycon ones just waiting for them to come in and I will see how this one turns out. I am kind of surprised at how different the boards are put together from one to the other. The memorex was very easy to solder and unsolder the Lg gave me some fits but I did get it to work maybe my iron isn't hot enough for the lg it is 45w and it worked beautifully on the memorex and it worked on the lg just took me alot longer.

Comment

Originally posted by johnboy1313 View Post
                                  Well done. Feels pretty good to save them, doesn't it?
                                  Thanks it does feel good to save them now I am wondering what to do with them since I already have replaced the tv's. I figured why not try to fix these at least I would learn somethings about them and how they work if I fixed them great if not owell now that I have one fixed I dont know what to do with it I may just keep it as a backup not sure yet. I will update how the Lg fix goes. Thanks again for the help everyone

Comment

Working...
                                  X