The Ultimate Workstation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Ultimate Workstation

There once was the Ultimate File Server....and now keeping in spirit, there will be the Ultimate Workstation...

This has been a long time coming, as I find myself almost never using my home office anymore since completion of my new one a couple years ago....and the monster machine in the home office pretty much sat and ran if for no other reason than to heat the room... I found that I used this machine maybe once or twice a week, to web browse and play Diablo2 with my wife....I don't need that kind of machine for this, so on Thursday, June 23rd I decommissioned it and replaced it with a much lesser of a machine.

A few weeks ago I was given a RoG Maximus Formula motherboard with all the accessories. It had a C2D 2.2 800FSB CPU and no ram. That's a little too slow for my liking, so I swapped the CPU out for the fastest it could take, a C2Q Q9650 3GHz 1333FSB and 8gb of GSKILL PC2 8500, the max the board can support. I robbed the GTX470 1GB GPU out of the decommissioned Supermicro system and stuck it in this system....so at the end of the day, this is my new home system:

Asus RoG Maximus Formula motherboard
    Q9650 C2Q 3GHz 1333MHz FSB CPU
    8GB GSKILL PC2 8500
    Nvidia GTX460 1GB GPU
    OCZ 240GB SATA3 SSD
    Antec HE550 Modular PSU
    Antec DF30 Gaming Case
    Windows 7 Ultimate

The case came from a member here about 10 years ago. It was new in box....and I finally got around to using it.... Yea, I know, not the build you've come to expect from me....but its exactly what I needed for the functions it will take on....and it freed up my Supermicro system for this build. It's also far more efficient, as its never shut down....

...and here it is:

Board completely disassembled, hotwashed, and fresh AS5 applied to all required places.

Assembled and installing winders....

So many 'cool points'!!

With that out of the way, the decommissioned system is the one from this thread many moons ago: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8901

It had a couple upgrades since that thread, the CPU's are now 2.8GHz hexcores and 96gb RAM. It doesn't take 12 cores and 96gb of ram to web browse and play diablo2. This system will be mothballed and slowly maxed out, with the max CPU which is a pair of Xeon X5690 3.46GHz, 192GB RAM, and possibly a quadro 6000 24gb GPU. It will eventually replace my heavily used office machine....but it'll be quite some time. Right now, the CPU's are about 500 bucks for a pair, and 192gb of RAM is about 800~1000. The 24gb version of the Quadro 6000 is $3000+....so I'll wait them out and bargain hunt.... In the mean time, the trusty X7DWA-N with its pair of X5492's @ 3.4GHz and 64GB ram will do fine. I'll update the thread as this system progresses.
    Attached Files
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Re: The Ultimate Workstation

Nice build. That's not the sort of comment you'd expect from me, but for what you're doing it is more efficient.

Now I see why you were looking for a HE550...
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Yup, that's exactly why I was looking for the additional HE550. It's a seasonic build, and a very good one (with fresh caps of course). I did find one cheap on ebay, recapped it, and away it went.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

I also bought another Zotac CI320 passive cooled micro PC. I've built quite a few of these as HTPC's, and they're impressive little boxes! A quad core cellie @ 1.8GHz with 8gb RAM should web browse and play D2 with ease, and extremely efficiently. Whichever one I don't use I can sell for a profit. I am saving like crazy to build a house, every little bit helps. I am not going into debt for anything ever again, not even to build a house!! It's cash only from ground breaking to moving day! I've been shutting the office machine down at night, and have noticed a significant drop in power usage.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Is the house going to be on the same property? You have space but other than junk Z land I don't see where you'd build it.
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

What I want to know is why you need so much for a office machine? What kind of office you running>?

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
              It's also far more efficient
              efficient
              efficient
              efficient

Quick somebody check on TC; I think his account may have been hacked!
              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                Is the house going to be on the same property? You have space but other than junk Z land I don't see where you'd build it.
                Right at the peak of the hill. the land goes pretty far back there, the junk cars are not a factor.
                Originally posted by ozzy214 View Post
                What I want to know is why you need so much for a office machine? What kind of office you running>?
                ohh thats been the burning question for decades.... If for no other reason, I like horsepower!!
                Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                efficient
                efficient
                efficient

Quick somebody check on TC; I think his account may have been hacked!
                Fear not, the wasteful cars are not getting cut back. Those are lots of fun! However, a massive PC that doesn't get used while sucking up a lot of electricity, that one is pretty self explanatory.

FWIW, I am down to two Z cars that are registered. I have 4 more waiting in the wings.
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

What!? A Q9650 is so OLD (from 2008)... You can get a shiny new Acer tower with an AMD processor for $200 at Staples! And it comes with LEDs!
                  "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

^
                    This system cost me about half that....and is way cooler! ...and doesn't have W10 on it...
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

Yes, but can you run Whatsapp on it!?
                      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

why would I want to?!
                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                        Team Stats

Comment

I feel I should explain...

I had a customer last week who wanted to upgrade their machine. It's a DDR3 775 system I wanted to put a E5450 in (equivalent to a Q9650) and max out the RAM to 8GB. I gave them a price where I was practically making nothing, and this included a modern SSD.

They told me that the Core2Quad was too old for them and that someone quoted them a machine with 32GB of RAM that they can run Whatsapp with...

I wished them well and bade them good luck. They'll be coming back to me in a short time to fix their self-inflicted wound. This is not the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                            I feel I should explain...

I had a customer last week who wanted to upgrade their machine. It's a DDR3 775 system I wanted to put a E5450 in (equivalent to a Q9650) and max out the RAM to 8GB. I gave them a price where I was practically making nothing, and this included a modern SSD.

They told me that the Core2Quad was too old for them and that someone quoted them a machine with 32GB of RAM that they can run Whatsapp with...

I wished them well and bade them good luck. They'll be coming back to me in a short time to fix their self-inflicted wound. This is not the first time.
                            Ok, now your comments make more sense...sarcasm can be difficult to interpret in text sometimes.
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

Yes, my post was akin in the same way.
                              Similar to the thread which I can't find which was something like "all core 2 duo's are useless"
                              Kids these days...
                              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Yes, my post was akin in the same way.
                                Similar to the thread which I can't find which was something like "all core 2 duo's are useless"
                                Kids these days...
                                Honestly, when it comes to daily use applications and diablo2, there is no noticable difference between the C2Q Q9650 and the 12 cores worth of Xeon X5660. I'm sure it'd be a different story if I had Premiere or something similar rendering a HD video clip, or if I had 20 things running at the same time....which is where my freight train supermicro systems really shine....
                                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                Team Stats

Comment

Absolutely, and I do agree with you!
                                  Perhaps I hid my irony too much

Comment

Perhaps I hid my irony too much
                                    I was never the one dogging the C2 platform, I've always liked them....maybe that's why I didn't pick up on the irony/sarcasm.
                                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                    Team Stats

Comment

I know, I kept my Socket 775 system forever, so I'm it's biggest supporter
                                      Only recently switched to Socket 2011, mainly because I wanted access to the M.2 socket for SSD's supporting the NVMe protocol.
                                      But I read some post here where people where saying Core 2 duo's where junk, I don't find it again.
                                      Thought you remembered it too, that's what I was referring to anyway

Comment

I know, I kept my Socket 775 system forever, so I'm it's biggest supporter
                                        Only recently switched to Socket 2011, mainly because I wanted access to the M.2 socket for SSD's supporting the NVMe protocol.
                                        But I read some post here where people where saying Core 2 duo's where junk, I don't find it again.
                                        Thought you remembered it too, that's what I was referring to anyway
                                        You've still got some Paxville's in operation, you're tops in my book!!
                                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                        Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                        X