Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Apple-spend thousands instead of upgrading

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
    Nope. - Not even related to what my point was.
    Is this a comprehension issue or an insecurity complex?
    Then why did you even mention 3.1 and the fact that it's based on DOS? What reason did you have other than to compare it to Linux? Why did you not just call out TC on the free part and leave it at that?

Comment

Wow great catch! A dead invisible pink unicorn!*

Now i know that the Flying Spaghetti Monster is the one to follow!

Now again, i'm sure Haiku involving meat in it is the answer!

* I like how you made it disproportionnated so we had to scroll horizontally... sorry for the spell... damn beers, brain and french canadians....
      Last edited by BeRReGoN; 10-21-2009, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by acstech
        Same computer, different times. First time there were quite a few viruses. Cleaned, reinstalled, reinfected.
        Certainly sounds like a PEBKAC error to me.
        Now here's the question: If this user had been running Linux, and done the exact same things, would their computer have stopped working?
        If there were more Linux viruses then yes, they would have still hosed their computer. It's only the availability of viruses that keeps a user like that safe. It's got nothing to do with the security or lack there of in Windows or Linux. A user like that is going to screw up their computer and there is nothing that can be done on any OS short of taking their rights away. If you do that then it's not really their computer anymore. Id say there is a good chance a user like that would hose a Linux OS themselves eventuality, virus or not.

See what I wrote about MacOS. It had no security but was safe simply because no one cared. Linux is in that position now. No one cares to write viruses for it. Either it will stay a marginal OS no one cares about, or it will take off and then get the same problems Windows has. Once you get popular you can't rely on security by obscurity anymore.

Comment

linux is more secure. ever notice how it always needs a password? thats because to do certain things, you must login as root, which is an added level of security. viruses are much harder to write for linux, and the only ones in existance never made it "to the wild"

read this:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/29/l...own-unscathed/

now you see my point.

is linux perfect? no. is it closer than perfect in terms of security compared to windows/mac? yes.
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I've stated my opinion and if you don't agree that's your right.

I've heard your agreements.
            I don't agree and you.
            You aren't going to change my mind.
            I know very well I won't change your mind, I'm only correcting the falsehoods the Linux fanboys like you are spreading.

I mean come on, I was being polite before, but you don't need to be that technical to know that no matter how good Ubuntu is it's not going to make a 1.2 GHz machine perform better than a 2.8 GHz in Windows even if it's a P4. That's complete BS. Even a stripped down minimal GUI Linux wouldn't be able to pull that off. Crap like that just makes Linux look bad. Linux is good and has lots of merit. You just pull it down spouting of BS about Windows. Talk about the good, TRUE things that Linux can do.

Comment

You as a Windows Fanboy are simply spreading other falsehoods.

Nope, sorry.
              In my example the Linux machine is indeed faster once you are actually doing anything.
              Incidentally. Unlike XP [on the same machine] there were zero drivers issues with Ubuntu.

Don't be pointing BS fingers at me when you are claiming Windows is Secure.
              That's the biggest load of crap in the thread and the WHOLE WORLD knows it's BS.
              Mann-Made Global Warming.
              - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

Originally posted by washu
                Then why did you even mention 3.1 and the fact that it's based on DOS? What reason did you have other than to compare it to Linux? Why did you not just call out TC on the free part and leave it at that?
                To date it which is pertinent to what I was responding to.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
                  linux is more secure. ever notice how it always needs a password? thats because to do certain things, you must login as root, which is an added level of security.
                  Try a distro other than Ubuntu or Mint. The password elevation is just a config option and a fairly recent one at that. Windows can be configured for the same thing.

Root is far more dangerous than admin which is why it's protected more. It won't stop you from doing ANYTHING stupid. Windows will at least ask an admin if you want to nuke the drive or something. If average users had root like they have admin on Windows they would kill the machine themselves, no virus needed. The equivalent to root on Windows is not admin, it's SYSTEM which is very hard for users to get direct access to.

Viruses are not harder to write for Linux just no one cares. Linux has nothing in it's security model that protects against unwanted code from executing. Sure it might not get root, but a virus doesn't need that to work. If you can run arbitrary programs (and you most certainly can in Ubuntu and most distros) then you can run a virus.

Comment

Originally posted by washu
                    Viruses are not harder to write for Linux just no one cares.
                    This is complete BS and you know it.
                    The first programmer that actually manages a successful Linux Virus will be flippin' famous and that's all the motivation people on that side of the fence need.

-

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    -

Comment

Nope, sorry.
                      In my example the Linux machine is indeed faster once you are actually doing anything.
                      Incidentally. Unlike XP [on the same machine] there were zero drivers issues with Ubuntu.
                      Then I repeat, something is wrong with your 2.8. There is simply no way Linux or ANY modern OS could make up that kind of speed difference. Either your machine is broken, horribly misconfigured or your just making stuff up. No one who knows even the slightest bit about computers would buy that.

Don't be pointing BS fingers at me when you are claiming Windows is Secure
                      That's the biggest load of crap in the thread and the WHOLE WORLD knows it's BS.
                      Tell me, since the release of Server 2003 and IIS6, which webserver has had the most exploits and hacks? Here's a hint: it starts with "A" and and ends in "pache".

Comment

starts with "A" and and ends in "pache"
                        Runs on Windows too now doesn't it.

-

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        -

Comment

This is complete BS and you know it.
                          The first programmer that actually manages a successful Linux Virus will be flippin' famous and that's all the motivation people on that side of the fence need.
                          There are a fair number of Linux viruses already, there just called "rootkits". Look into SSH and Apache hacking. Most of it's completely automated script kiddy stuff now, just like Windows. My SSH servers get pounded on all the time by automated Linux attacks. Fortunately my servers are running on BSD. That's where the Linux glory is and it's been going on for years.

As to the desktop, again, look at MacOS. No security, should have been virus heaven. No one did anything because no one cared. Linux desktop: No one cares. OSX is where the desktop glory is now, not Linux and that's why the pwn2own guys go after it.

Tell me what Linux has that makes it inherently more resistant to viruses than Windows. What magical feature does it have that stops bad code from running but lets good code run?

Comment

Runs on Windows too now doesn't it.
                            Yes it does, but it's usually run on Linux. IIS6 is the more secure server and runs only on Windows.

Comment

Is not Linux, it's a Service.

-

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              -

Comment

Is a Service that has problems because it's Security was weakened to be MS compatible.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

Is not Linux, it's a Service.
                                  IIS: It's not Windows, it's a service. I can play that game too.

Comment

Is a Service that has problems because it's Security was weakened to be MS compatible.
                                    Care to back that up with some evidence?

Actually, I'll even counter that. A service on Windows that needs low port access can run as a limited user and have no admin access at all. On Linux low port access requires root and you are then at the mercy of the service to properly drop rights or simply not have security holes. Windows is more secure than Linux by design in this aspect.
                                    Last edited by washu; 10-21-2009, 10:03 PM.

Comment

The bulk of the few Security problems Linux has exist because something was modified to be MS compatible.

One of the biggest problems with Linux and Viruses is MS file format documents being stored on the machine. They can't attack the host machine without root but they can spread through the web or LAN to MS based machines and reap havoc.

Your "starts with "A" and and ends in "pache"" problems aren't that the host machine was itself attacked but that they spread the virus or malware to MS machines.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                      -
                                      -

Comment

The bulk of the few Security problems Linux has exist because something was modified to be MS compatible.

One of the biggest problems with Linux and Viruses is MS file format documents being stored on the machine. They can't attack the host machine without root but they can spread through the web or LAN to MS based machines and reap havoc.

Your "starts with "A" and and ends in "pache"" problems aren't that the host machine was itself attacked but that they spread the virus or malware to MS machines.
                                        WOW. I thought I'd heard some good BS in my time, but that takes the cake. Linux's security problems are all Microsoft's fault. Linux would have no issues if MS didn't exist. You actually believe that crap?

Sorry, but I'm done with you. A good debate is fun, but stuff like this is just stupid. Anyone else that might still be reading can read your BS and see what a real Linux zealot believes. With people like you defending Linux no wonder it has a sub %1 desktop share. You have hurt the reputation of Linux with your crap and even I as a mainly Windows user think that is a bad thing.

Comment

I was done with you maybe 15 posts ago.
                                          Told you so too.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                          -
                                          -

Comment

Working...
                                          X