X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Originally posted by brethin View Post
    Im the same way, I can even remember paying like $10 for a I/O shield before I just made them, now with a 3d printer you can make all of them fast and cheap.
    3D print...didn't even think of that for an IO shield.... Good idea!
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

More scores today.

HP dv7-1120eo - awfully dirty, surprisingly started working after I left it heat up (it's freezing outside), does enter Windows but I suspect LVDS isn't working as I have nothing on screen. (keyboard is responsive tho.) Came with 2GB of RAM and some random 2012 datecoded 500GB WD Scorpio Blue that, despite being disgustingly dirty, is at 100% health.

Xbox 360 - my first one so appreciate anyone who can give some help on it. 2008 datecode, and has a criminally heavy 160W brick.

WYSE KU-8933 keyboard - nice membrane-based Model M clone w/ Windows keys, and surprisingly clean.
      Main rig:
      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
      Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
      16GB DDR3-1600
      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
      FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
      120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
      Delux MG760 case

Comment

Today's dumpster dive (since I couldn't edit previous post) - a Kyocera Mita FS-1018MFP multifunctional Scanner+Printer. Jams a bit but then starts off fine, guess I gotta roll it every now and then?

As for the above scores:

- dv7 works fine and silent after a reflow on both chipset and GPU - surprisingly this one is the only one that didn't give me the "CMOS checksum error" at every boot regardless of the CMOS battery being new or not.

-360 works, need to clean it up and unjam the DVD drive. May RGH or JTAG it, depending on availability.

-WYSE keyboard works and is absolutely splendid for a membrane based Model M clone.
        Main rig:
        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
        16GB DDR3-1600
        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
        Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
          Kyocera Mita FS-1018MFP multifunctional Scanner+Printer. Jams a bit but then starts off fine, guess I gotta roll it every now and then?
          Sounds like rollers or roller clutch.
          Anyway, on last month got MS-6501 dual socket A board with adaptec sata controller and bodged geforce 6200 on it for agp testing purposes, Dell 27" 2k monitor with random blackouts and fully working Aiwa AM-NX9 netMD player with bunch of disks.
          Attached Files

Comment

^
            Nice! Check the caps. Hard to tell from the pic, but there looks like a bloated Rubycon right next to that 4-pin addon plug for the 20 pin ATX connector.
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Caps are fine! I was worried also until seen it in flesh.

Comment

The only thing I would be worried about is that Stinkworld PSU. I wouldn't risk running a dual Athlon machine with that cheap PoS (and yes, I do admit Linkworlds are crap) at all, especially since they're horribly hungry on the 5v rail. Not that the 12v isn't also required to be high, but still.
                Main rig:
                Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                16GB DDR3-1600
                Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                Delux MG760 case

Comment

In the LA area we see a lot of big screen TVs sitting out on curbs for trash pickup. Most of course are junk. Just 3 days ago one caught my eye. Turned out to be a Vizio 55" 4k model from 2016. And I've never had a 4k TV! Thanks to this forum I was able to diagnose the common CPU BGA heat problem. Up and running in a few hours by baking the main board in an oven. 10 min @385f (I was too lazy and eager to wait a day to get a heat gun). Been working great for 3 days now!

Comment

Another nice score IMO - two early phat Xbox 360s. One is a Xenon (no HDMI) and the other is a Zephyr (HDMI). Came with two rather corroded controllers - one cleaned up and works fine, the other may need some tracework done - as well as a headset, a 203W PSU and a nice Component+Composite official cable.

The irony - the Xenon is pretty banged up (blown KZJs near the DC input) yet no RRoD and runs NXE dash, while the Zephyr was in pristine condition yet it had RRoD, despite being repasted. Reflowed it quickly at 350*C with a paint removing heatgun. Was pleasantly suprised to find out the Zephyr unit had the original Blade dashboard!!! Also the DVD drive on this one worked. For some reason, the TSSTCorp on the Xenon won't do anything, no signs of life. Maybe a mismatched drive?
                    Main rig:
                    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                    16GB DDR3-1600
                    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                    Delux MG760 case

Comment

The only thing I would be worried about is that Stinkworld PSU. I wouldn't risk running a dual Athlon machine with that cheap PoS (and yes, I do admit Linkworlds are crap) at all, especially since they're horribly hungry on the 5v rail. Not that the 12v isn't also required to be high, but still.
                      Actually that was just temporarily one just to turn it on and test preliminary, already searching for 5V and 12V heavy enough psu. More dissapointment came when I discovered that cheap Radeon 9700 I got earlier has artefacts, and X1950 pro code 10 on one of two gpus in device manager...

Comment

Today's visit at the dump resulted: HP pavilion laptop (not tested yet), Abit AB-BX6, Asus P5A with K6-2@500, and a Tyan S1846.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenon-Codex View Post
                          Today's visit at the dump resulted: HP pavilion laptop (not tested yet), Abit AB-BX6, Asus P5A with K6-2@500, and a Tyan S1846.
                          Very nice! The P5A is stellar for a retro build; super7 board (100MHz bus speed) with an AGP; one of the only ones ever made with that combo.
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by MarkS007 View Post
                            4k model from 2016.
                            May be fake 4K! That's a real thing for some TVs! (not monitors, TMK)

If the LED backlight array is RGBW, then it's not real 4K! (white-only pixels)
                            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

More updates on the 360s:

- Falcon unit received the power button from the Xenon unit
                              - Xenon unit is probably going to end up for parts - I can't for the life of me get the DVD drive to work, and I'm pretty confident it's the original drive that's in there - I haven't seen Xenons ship with anything else besides Toshiba-Samsung TS-H943 DVD drives - this one seems to be dead, won't do anything when pressing eject - checked all the mechanic side, everything looks fine. That, and KZJ caps galore
                              - Zephyr unit was reflowed, awaits some fresh MX6 to be applied because I'm fairly sure whatever was used on there is probably the world's worst thermal paste known to day, the kind that can barely cool a Celeron, let alone two 90nm chips.
                              - one of the controllers has a wrecked PCB, will keep it for parts or until I can find another one that's in rough shape and swap the casing on it. The other one works and currently uses some VARTA Alkaline LR6 batteries (I know, VARTA sucks balls, but tit's the only kind of batteries I could find cheap enough to buy a pack of 4 of.).

Next step is probably getting both units RGH'd. I would have loved to JTAG both of them but I couldn't find anyone to do it, and I don't have the tools necessary to do it currently. (unless I can JTAG a 360 through a LPT port... even if that means waiting a century to write a NAND )
                              Main rig:
                              Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                              Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                              16GB DDR3-1600
                              Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                              Delux MG760 case

Comment

- Xenon unit is probably going to end up for parts - I can't for the life of me get the DVD drive to work, and I'm pretty confident it's the original drive that's in there - I haven't seen Xenons ship with anything else besides Toshiba-Samsung TS-H943 DVD drives - this one seems to be dead, won't do anything when pressing eject - checked all the mechanic side, everything looks fine. That, and KZJ caps galore
                                Probably stupid question but is there led activity when you press eject? Maybe just dead button? Because that's quite rare when optical is so dead it even don't recognize simple commands.

Comment

Button flashes but other than that nothing haplens.
                                  Main rig:
                                  Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                  Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                  16GB DDR3-1600
                                  Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                  Delux MG760 case

Comment

Button flashes but other than that nothing haplens.
                                    Could it be a bad tray belt?
                                    Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                                    RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                                    Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                                    - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                                    - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                                    - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                                    - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Just snagged 64MB (8x 8Mx9) of 30-pin parity SIMMs for $30 off eBay.
                                      Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                                      RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                                      Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                                      - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                                      - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                                      - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                                      - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
                                        Could it be a bad tray belt?
                                        Nope. The drive is dead, as far as I can tell. Won't do anything across all three units - Xenon (the mobo it comes from), Zephyr or Falcon. Swapping the semi-broken Lite-On from the Falcon into the Xenon does work - the drive does power up (haven't tried eject as the Falcon's DVD drive has broken eject mechanism). The TSSTCorp drive from the Xenon stays dead (no laser movement, NOTHING) across all three units.
                                        Main rig:
                                        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                        16GB DDR3-1600
                                        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                        Delux MG760 case

Comment

This Sony STR-110 seems to be pretty rare. The three 8V bulbs need to be replaced, and it works. The fuses looked interesting.
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X