Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reinstalling an upgraded iMac

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
    Yup, definitely a PPC G5. 2gb max. Let me know if you're still having trouble getting the media, I have 10.5 I could send snail mail....with my slow DSL, i'm not even about to try uploading it to the BCN server.
    Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
      unlikely that apple would write an invalid block, it wouldnt surprise me if some commercial game did though - they did in the dos days on the pc.
      But then, wouldn't ddrescue be able to read it? I did try around 606 times or so to try and read that bad sector. They all failed, rather quick like, which I thought was a little odd. Usually, from my experience, it can recover at least something, maybe not the full 512 bytes, but at least a few bytes.

This is what dmesg shows:
      Code:
      [219667.139308] ata3.00: configured for UDMA/133
      [219667.139320] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdd] tag#28 FAILED Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
      [219667.139323] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdd] tag#28 Sense Key : Medium Error [current] 
      [219667.139326] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdd] tag#28 Add. Sense: Unrecovered read error - auto reallocate failed
      [219667.139329] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdd] tag#28 CDB: Read(10) 28 00 0d 84 a3 86 00 00 01 00
      [219667.139330] blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdd, sector 226796422
      [219667.139350] ata3: EH complete
      [219673.276030] ata3.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x0
      [219673.276035] ata3.00: irq_stat 0x40000001
      [219673.276038] ata3.00: failed command: READ DMA
      [219673.276043] ata3.00: cmd c8/00:01:86:a3:84/00:00:00:00:00/ed tag 2 dma 512 in
                   res 51/40:01:86:a3:84/00:00:0d:00:00/ed Emask 0x9 (media error)
      [219673.276045] ata3.00: status: { DRDY ERR }
      [219673.276047] ata3.00: error: { UNC }
      [219673.336283] ata3.00: configured for UDMA/133
      [219673.336295] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdd] tag#2 FAILED Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
      [219673.336297] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdd] tag#2 Sense Key : Medium Error [current] 
      [219673.336298] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdd] tag#2 Add. Sense: Unrecovered read error - auto reallocate failed
      [219673.336301] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdd] tag#2 CDB: Read(10) 28 00 0d 84 a3 86 00 00 01 00
      [219673.336302] blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdd, sector 226796422
      fdisk says the drive has 490234752 sectors. So it does appear to be somewhere around the middle of the drive. I would imagine whatever software could do to mark a sector as bad, ddrescue would be able to recover the data and only have trouble if it was some sort of physical problem. Am I wrong in thinking that?
      -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

Yup, definitely a PPC G5. 2gb max. Let me know if you're still having trouble getting the media, I have 10.5 I could send snail mail....with my slow DSL, i'm not even about to try uploading it to the BCN server.
        Thanks Topcat, but I think I got a good version downloaded. I just want to figure out the hard drive thing before continuing.

I'm worried if the hard drive is good and I go and format everything, it might be some sort of copy protection and I won't be able to properly install or even restore the hard drive to the previous OS that's on there now.

I wish I had a 250GB sata drive floating around down in the basement. I'd just pull this drive and try installing directly on that.

What's odd, parted only sees 2 partitions, but Linux shows four.
        Code:
        eugene:/home/spork/src # parted /dev/sdd
        GNU Parted 3.2
        Using /dev/sdd
        Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
        (parted) p                                
        Model: ATA Maxtor 6L250S0 (scsi)
        Disk /dev/sdd: 251GB
        Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
        Partition Table: mac
        Disk Flags: 

Number Start End   Size  File system Name   Flags
         1   512B  32.8kB 32.3kB        Apple   type=Apple_partitio
         3   134MB 251GB  251GB  hfs+     Untitled type=Apple_HFS

(parted) q                                
        eugene:/home/spork/src # ls /dev/sdd*
        /dev/sdd /dev/sdd1 /dev/sdd2 /dev/sdd3 /dev/sdd4
        eugene:/home/spork/src #

Comment

Originally posted by Spork Schivago View Post
          Thanks Topcat, but I think I got a good version downloaded. I just want to figure out the hard drive thing before continuing.

I'm worried if the hard drive is good and I go and format everything, it might be some sort of copy protection and I won't be able to properly install or even restore the hard drive to the previous OS that's on there now.

I wish I had a 250GB sata drive floating around down in the basement. I'd just pull this drive and try installing directly on that.

What's odd, parted only sees 2 partitions, but Linux shows four.
          Code:
          eugene:/home/spork/src # parted /dev/sdd
          GNU Parted 3.2
          Using /dev/sdd
          Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
          (parted) p                                
          Model: ATA Maxtor 6L250S0 (scsi)
          Disk /dev/sdd: 251GB
          Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
          Partition Table: mac
          Disk Flags: 

Number Start End   Size  File system Name   Flags
           1   512B  32.8kB 32.3kB        Apple   type=Apple_partitio
           3   134MB 251GB  251GB  hfs+     Untitled type=Apple_HFS

(parted) q                                
          eugene:/home/spork/src # ls /dev/sdd*
          /dev/sdd /dev/sdd1 /dev/sdd2 /dev/sdd3 /dev/sdd4
          eugene:/home/spork/src #
          So where are the active and primary partition. I only see logical which will not boot.

Comment

Keeney,

Let's see if I can remember this. The 32K partition (listed as #1), I believe that contains the Apple Partition Map ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Partition_Map ). Having the flag set to type=Apple_partitio, from my understanding, is what's required for the iMac to try booting the hdd. I believe APM has been mainly replaced by GPT now. Because this is a PowerPC, I believe it requires the APM and will not boot without it.
            Bit different than the way it is in Windows, eh?
            Last edited by Spork Schivago; 12-08-2016, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Hey Topcat, I forgot to ask, that's the actual max, right? Not the recommended max? It can literally only handle 2GB of RAM? I was seeing some of these Macs can actually take 4GB, but only a little more than 3GB is available, because of the whole 32-bit thing. I wanted to make sure this wasn't the case.

Comment

the G5 is 64bit.

Comment

enjoy this link
                  http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...ram-slots.html

Comment

Keeney,

Let's see if I can remember this. The 32K partition (listed as #1), I believe that contains the Apple Partition Map ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Partition_Map ). Having the flag set to type=Apple_partitio, from my understanding, is what's required for the iMac to try booting the hdd. I believe APM has been mainly replaced by GPT now. Because this is a PowerPC, I believe it requires the APM and will not boot without it.
                    Bit different than the way it is in Windows, eh?
                    So I think this is the processor you have https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerPC_970 This is the model https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMac_G5

I will leave the code to you.
                    Last edited by keeney123; 12-08-2016, 11:57 PM.

Comment

the G5 is 64bit.
                      <GASP> I had no idea! So is the 2GB RAM limit set by some sort of MCH or something?

Comment

Hrmm....there's only two slots on this board, yet the list you linked me to shows they either come with 4 or 8, depending.

Comment

Originally posted by keeney123 View Post
                          So I think this is the processor you have https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerPC_970
                          Physically, it looks like the 970, I'm pulling that from memory. I remember how unique and cool looking the CPU looked, so it could very well be the 970 or something close to that. Once I get it finished, I'll try looking again.

I'm going to try throwing in a SATA drive tomorrow (from down in the basement) and see if I can install MacOSX 10.5 on an unformatted hard drive. Well, I'll format it first. But it should be fun and a learning experience.

My wife's mother, she flipped her lid and went bonkers on us, so we're dealing with that. Man, after we had our daughter, something happened...she just changed, and now, now she's just nuts! Her own sister (my wife's Aunt) and her ex-husband (my wife's father) have both told us not to leave our daughter alone with her right now, they think she'll try to steal her! That's insane, but to tell you the truth, we think she might actually try too! She's been calling our daughter her child and all kinda crazy shit like that!

Comment

Hrmm....there's only two slots on this board, yet the list you linked me to shows they either come with 4 or 8, depending.
                            the "powermac" is the midi-tower case.

i'm starting to suspect you have the one in a monitor casing.

Comment

http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...slots.html#ram

Comment

Physically, it looks like the 970, I'm pulling that from memory. I remember how unique and cool looking the CPU looked, so it could very well be the 970 or something close to that. Once I get it finished, I'll try looking again.

I'm going to try throwing in a SATA drive tomorrow (from down in the basement) and see if I can install MacOSX 10.5 on an unformatted hard drive. Well, I'll format it first. But it should be fun and a learning experience.

My wife's mother, she flipped her lid and went bonkers on us, so we're dealing with that. Man, after we had our daughter, something happened...she just changed, and now, now she's just nuts! Her own sister (my wife's Aunt) and her ex-husband (my wife's father) have both told us not to leave our daughter alone with her right now, they think she'll try to steal her! That's insane, but to tell you the truth, we think she might actually try too! She's been calling our daughter her child and all kinda crazy shit like that!
                                If it not a 970 it's a 970FX a lower power version.

Sorry to here all the drama. Just always remember to protect the child and your immediate family including yourself.

Comment

the "powermac" is the midi-tower case.

i'm starting to suspect you have the one in a monitor casing.
                                  You're good! Yup, it's one of those the monitor is the case, the logic board looks like a laptop motherboard, kinda a motherboard in a monitor computer.

Comment

That's more like it! Thanks Stj! Nice read.

Comment

Originally posted by keeney123 View Post
                                      If it not a 970 it's a 970FX a lower power version.

Sorry to here all the drama. Just always remember to protect the child and your immediate family including yourself.
                                      I will always remember that. She ended up getting a copy of the house key. When Jess had the baby, the original plan was I'd drive home every day to feed the cats. But I hadn't counted on such a strong emotional attachment to our daughter so early on and much to my surprise, I couldn't leave. So, we asked her sister to do it. She was more than happy, but when it came time to get the key back, her sister said their mum told her that we said we wanted her mum taking care of the cats and to give her the key.

Sneaky little devil, eh? Just replaced all the locks on the doors too.

When I said 970, I mean the 970 series. I'm not sure what 970, but you think it might be the 970FX? We'll find out, hopefully soon! Gonna go to bed now and try to get some sleep.

Comment

I will always remember that. She ended up getting a copy of the house key. When Jess had the baby, the original plan was I'd drive home every day to feed the cats. But I hadn't counted on such a strong emotional attachment to our daughter so early on and much to my surprise, I couldn't leave. So, we asked her sister to do it. She was more than happy, but when it came time to get the key back, her sister said their mum told her that we said we wanted her mum taking care of the cats and to give her the key.

Sneaky little devil, eh? Just replaced all the locks on the doors too.

When I said 970, I mean the 970 series. I'm not sure what 970, but you think it might be the 970FX? We'll find out, hopefully soon! Gonna go to bed now and try to get some sleep.
                                        Will be waiting to see how it turns out.

Comment

if u're worried, u can get a personal protection order or restraining order if u're genuinely worried about the safety of your daughter.

btw, your mother-in-law seems to have a psychiatric condition if she thinks your daughter is her daughter. i recall a certain mental health condition where one mistakes or thinks another's child is their own. cant remember what its called tho.

however, i could just have been a freakasaurus and it could just be dementia which is NOT a psychiatric disorder. its a neurological disorder of the brain. two dissimilar, different things. i recommend consulting a doctor/shrink and finding out whats wrong.

u'd want your mother-in-law to get the best care possible for what she's suffering from and not have it develop into a toxic family relationship which is both bad for a new father like yourself and also bad for the elderly. u might wanna resolve your mother-in-law issue fast so u can concentrate on your daughter. a drained/exhausted father is as bad for your daughter as having no father at all.

Comment

Working...
                                          X