The Great Capacitor Showdown - Rubycon vs Panasonic vs Samxon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Great Capacitor Showdown - Rubycon vs Panasonic vs Samxon

After the one machine was popped by the surge, it pretty much nullified the rest of the experiment. I'm sad to say that this test was not successful. No system failed due to cap failure, but continuing the 'showdown' would no longer have been productive.

I may try this again with some SX280's or GX620's, as those systems run miserably hot and would yield much quicker failures, so possibly stay tuned for the showdown version 2.0!
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

lets just say the all rock and the only good bad cap is a desoldered one!

meanwhile... TC has had a good cover up for his latest F@H point booster scheme!

half-kidding- that is what he was running on them to test with...

and i wonder what he will do with the three units when their time comes to be unplugged?
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

^
        I still have the cores from all the remaining systems. The cases are sitting here empty save for the PSU's.

I've actually been giving the showdown v2.0 some thought lately. I'm remodeling the office and lab, which has things in a state of disaster right now, but when that's done, I may look into this more seriously. I hated that this experiment did a nose dive on me....but unfortunately these things happen.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

maybe you could find more dead imacs and use them... wait, that would be like testing ipod durability by running it over with a steamroller... apple could have saved people so much trouble by just using polys in the first place... apple with jobs as the head does not pair well with cooling tings...
          sigpic

Comment

^
            I thought of that too. I just acquired the specific values from Samxon to recap a G5 fully in Samxon caps....and I've got to grab another G5 to test these on. I have another 20" here that has a bad logic board in it (customer gave me the whole system after the logic board he sent me was destroyed in shipping)... Once I find a logic board for that one, I'll try out these new Sammies in it.

The only problem I see with using Mac's is credibility toward the experiment... Caps fail regardless of what their in, but the hardcore PC geeks would likely not lend much weight to the experiment if Apple's were used.....and yes, I do like Mac's a lot....but just to avoid this issue, it will probably have to be kept on a PC level.
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

i guess "mac heat" and "pc heat" are diffrent to them... usff boxes have the exact same problem so you could do that as well.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                I may try this again with some SX280's or GX620's, as those systems run miserably hot and would yield much quicker failures, so possibly stay tuned for the showdown version 2.0!
                That's a grand idea TC!
                I like it!
                Mann-Made Global Warming.
                - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                  i guess "mac heat" and "pc heat" are diffrent to them... usff boxes have the exact same problem so you could do that as well.
                  Mac heat smells like apple pie. jk

-
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                  -

Comment

Yes. But they do make good convection ovens and even elect a Pope occasionally...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VBoOU9v8QY

veritas odium parit

Comment

showdown round 2?

rubycon vs nichicon vs panasonic vs samxon vs poly?

ok, the poly would win... but nichicon seems to have cleaned up their act, so throw them in, just for kicks...
                      sigpic

Comment

I think I have 2 GX620usff systems left, I sold all my sx280's. It wouldn't be hard to find a couple more. I wouldn't put a polymodded one in the mix, it would outlive all the lytic systems, but good call on running a Nichicon system with newer HN series caps! it would be good to see how the 'corrected' version hold up compared to pannies, rubies, and Sammies....

I've seen the GX620 cook Rubycons, Panasonics, Nichicon's, and UCC's.

The lifespan of Samxon in these systems would be a good thing to know. Given the heat these systems give off, especially running F@H 24/7/365, the failure of all the brands of lytics would be eminent, it would just be a matter of who's first. The true test would be to see which ones hold up the longest, and if we were taking bets, I'd put my money on Panasonic for holding out the longest.
                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                        Team Stats

Comment

start it and put a poll on the thread that expires just before the start of the test... see who votes where and who is right...
                          sigpic

Comment

The defect in this plan is that the systems will have different histories and so, aside from the caps you put in, they will have different levels of wear, tear and abuse.

-

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            -

Comment

so what? the last showdown was no different.
                              sigpic

Comment

You're right. It was a defect in that plan too.
                                Pat yourself on the back.

It would be better to set up one DC PS, one 100 KHz signal injector [to simulate Ripple], and some dummy loads set up so the caps are all on the same supplies but isolated from each other.
                                It could be made such that all the caps are in the same box so at the same temp condition.
                                Last edited by PCBONEZ; 08-07-2010, 02:35 AM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

I was thinking about testing caps in PSU's, too. As long as we see Teapo's, CEC and OST all arround, maybe it could be interesting to see wheter they're so better people claim?

Something like 4 same PSU's with the same slow fan for running on high temperature. CEC, OST, Teapo and something good (Rubycon, Chemi-Con, Nichicon etc.) for reference. The same boards all recaped with some good caps again, folding 24/7. Than sit and watch how long they'll survive? Anybody could do this?
                                  Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                                  Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

You only need one PSU.
                                    The PSU has to make the volts but you don't have to have any DC current flow to speak of, just use a big-ass load.
                                    The signal generator is a different story. Need to make enough amps of 100kHz simulated ripple to push the total ripple current rating on all the caps.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    -

Comment

I was talking abour real-life test, if you want to build some stress-making tester, of course you don't need more than one power supply.

-HoNY- (registered here) has scheme for PSU tester one guy made for his dissertation, there is also active load of up to 10 A on whichever rail you want. It's a power trasistor, maybe it could be used for this purpose? I guess it makes huge ripple…I could ask him for it.
                                      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

A 'real life' test could conceivably take 10-20 years to complete by which time the results might not matter anyway.
                                        That's why they do stress tests on about everything.
                                        Caps, hard drives, cars, metals, motors, pumps, pipes, just about everything in any kind of engineering is stress tested in some way.

Worked out a schematic for a cap stress tester a couple of years ago but no time to [and not THAT much interest in] finish[ing] the project by building it.
                                        Not going to unless I quit moving and dig roots somewhere.
                                        I've been thinking about trying San Antonio for a while.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                        -
                                        -

Comment

Well we know that Fuhjyyu sometimes quits after several weeks, that's enough real-life for me For that reason I suggested running on high temperatures (60-70 °C).

As for the tester, if you presented it, maybe someone would build it here…
                                          Last edited by Behemot; 08-09-2010, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X