Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blown (FZ78 1500 6.3v) on XFX 8600 GT. What to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blown (FZ78 1500 6.3v) on XFX 8600 GT. What to buy?

Originally posted by Blown XFX 8600 GT View Post
    Exact same thing happened to me too, same card and everything! These things must really Suck!
    Everything with Sacon FZ does. They have 100% premature failure rates.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Hey, I'm from serbia, and i have xfx 8600gt but not the same model as shown on top of the thread. It's this one

Well you can guess, a cap has blown and i need to replace it. It's 1500uF/6.3V
      now, i've found some capacitors here in locale shop, but i need help to chose the right one. The capacitor is ELKO 1500uF/6.3V radial, electrolyte. Is it the rigt one?
      By the way sorry for the bad image it's from internet because i'm currently unable to photograph the card since it's not in my possession until Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by Borgof View Post
        Hey, I'm from serbia, and i have xfx 8600gt but not the same model as shown on top of the thread. It's this one

Well you can guess, a cap has blown and i need to replace it. It's 1500uF/6.3V
        now, i've found some capacitors here in locale shop, but i need help to chose the right one. The capacitor is ELKO 1500uF/6.3V radial, electrolyte. Is it the rigt one?
        By the way sorry for the bad image it's from internet because i'm currently unable to photograph the card since it's not in my possession until Friday.
        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...1&highlight=FZ
        Read the link. - Different card but same problem.
        You need to replace all the FZ caps.
        ELKO do not sound like low ESR caps.

The replacements:
        - need the same or more Ripple
        - need the same or less ESR.
        See FZ data sheet in the link.
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
          Read the link. - Different card but same problem.
          You need to replace all the FZ caps.

The replacements:
          - need the same or more Ripple
          - need the same or less ESR.
          See FZ data sheet in the link.
          OK, thanks for a quick reply, i've printed the table, so my next step is going to the store... will post back if i manage to find anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Blown XFX 8600 GT View Post
            Dont you find it kind of odd that they require you to submit in 30 days for a double lifetime warranty?
            Yup. Got bit by this, too. So the lifetime might as well be 30 days. Go figure.

Looking to buy some caps on this one, any recommendations?

Comment

Hi! I have same problem. My XFX 8600GT caps blown (the FZ ones).
              I can't get Rubicon on my market (Farnell). Do you recommend any other?
              Last edited by gsedej; 08-01-2011, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gsedej View Post
                Hi! I have same problem. My XFX 8600GT caps blown (the FZ ones).
                I can't get Rubicon on my market (Farnell). Do you recommend any other?
                Rubicon are fake Rubycon.
                If you spell the name right searches might go better.
                [You won't find MBZ or MCZ though. Both are out of production.]

Any with:
                the same or less ESR,
                the same or more Ripple,
                the same or more voltage,
                the same uF,
                that physically fit will do.

FZ specs are all over the place so in 'good brands' sometimes you need high grades and sometimes middle grades to match specs.

I have no idea what Farnell stocks.

I also have no idea where 'my area' is, so suggestions as to alternate parts sources might not be useful.

Badcaps.net ships to most countries.
                There's a member here named 'Big Pope' that sells Samxon out of Hong Kong.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

PCBONEZ, thanks for reply!
                  Sorry about Rubycon, it was typo. I am new to this :>
                  I can also get it from Mouser.

Could you recommend me replacements for
                  -FZ78 1500 6.3V
                  -FZ77 1000 6.3V
                  -FZ76 470 16V

Thanks!

Comment

FZ 470/16V - is diameter 8mm or 10mm?

FZ 1500/6.3V 10x12.5mm 1800/.022
                    - Nichicon HM 1500/6.3v 10x16mm 2000/.018
                    - Panasonic FM 1500/6.3v 10x20mm 2180/.019 [Height might be a problem.]

FZ 1000/6.3V 8x12mm 1150/.036
                    - Nichicon HM 1000/6.3v 8x11.5mm 1140/.030
                    [Ripple is close enough as the FZ specs are probably a reach.]

-

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    -

Comment

Thanks again for reply and suggestions.

470 and 1000 sizes are 8mm x 12mm

I found on mouser those:
                      16V 470
                      http://eu.mouser.com/Search/ProductD...cpWB%2fA%3d%3d

6.3V 1000
                      http://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/N...DjgUpG%2fmA%3d

6.3V 1500
                      http://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/N...hgib7x5Q%3d%3d

You think it would be OK?

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post

ELKO or ELCO is an abreviation for Electrolytic Capacitor used in Europe mostly. Had a lady ask me about ELCO's a few weeks ago and it threw me as well.

Comment

Originally posted by TCKTMB View Post
                          ELKO or ELCO is an abreviation for Electrolytic Capacitor used in Europe mostly. Had a lady ask me about ELCO's a few weeks ago and it threw me as well.
                          That's either a new one on me or at some point it leaked out of my brain.
                          ELKO sounds familiar but I used to live in a small town named Elko so caps may not be why it sounds familiar.

-

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          -

Comment

That works.

That works.

Not a great choice.
                            - That one is only 12.5mm long and that makes Ripple/ESR 1540/.025
                            - The FZ you are replacing has Ripple/ESR at 1800/.022

ESR should be same or less - Ripple should be the same or more.
                            There is no such thing as too high a Ripple rating.
                            The Ripple Rating does not affect the circuit, just gives the max Ripple the cap can handle without overheating internally.
                            -
                            Too high an ESR reduces how much Ripple [noise] gets removed. [Bad]
                            In some cases too low an ESR can cause problems because the ESR works with other components.
                            Lower ESR is better but don't go nuts with that idea or you may find one of those 'some cases'.

I would use either:
                            - The 10x16mm HM [PN: UHM0J152MPD3] which has Ripple/ESR at 2000/.018.
                            - The 10x12.5mm HZ [PN: UHN0J152MPD] which has Ripple/ESR at 2280/.012.
                            [I would choose the HM unless height is a big problem. I'm thinkin it's not if the 15mm you picked for the 1000uF works. They are only 1mm different.]

--
                            BTW:
                            You aren't doing bad at all for a first time doing this.
                            Lining up all the planets [specs] at the same time takes a bit of practice.
                            Last edited by PCBONEZ; 08-04-2011, 01:23 PM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            -

Comment

Hello, i have the same problem. I already had this problem once and i took the card to repairs and replaced the bad capacitor. Now few months later i have the same problem. They charger me 20 Dollars for it ..... I m not going to pay that money again and i do not have money to replace the card. I m asking to identify the marked capacitor on the picture please. It was replaced at the repairs. I need to know the original capacitor specs cause i think they didnt replace it with correct capacitor. If anyone could tell me the specs i would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by iMarty; 08-08-2011, 09:52 AM.

Comment

All 9 caps need replaced. - FZ are serious junk.

They used a 470uF so presumably the old cap was a 470uF FZ.
                                There are only two 470uF FZ sizes and both are 16v.
                                You just need to figure out which diameter it was and you should be able to tell that by looking at the PCB 'circles' and the other caps.

The spec sheet for FZ is posted a few posts up this page.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

Are they polymer caps ? Cause they look like so. And also is there any way i can see or calculate the ESR and Ripple somehow ? Cause on some web pages its not shown.

Regards

Edit:

I found these available at my country. Are they suitable ?

1000uF 6.3V http://www.serigo.ee/product_info.ph...ducts_id=47645

1500uF 6.3V http://www.serigo.ee/product_info.ph...ducts_id=70505

470uF 16V http://www.serigo.ee/product_info.ph...ucts_id=107729

Or maybe this ? Polymer - http://www.serigo.ee/product_info.ph...8f2ead0b72b80f

Thanks for all help
                                  Last edited by iMarty; 08-09-2011, 03:13 AM.

Comment

No, FZ are not polymers.
                                    Sleeves are just a way to mark caps.
                                    Both Polymer and Electrolytic can be marked either by direct printing or with sleeves.
                                    It's up to the manufacturer.

There is no way to calculate the specs.
                                    You usually have to find the manufacturers site to see the specs.
                                    If the manufacturer isn't 'big enough' to have a site then rest assured their caps are junk.

I'll look at your list in the morning. It's late.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    -

Comment

Unknown series. I can't say yes or no without knowing the series.

Good brand but not Low ESR. I wouldn't recommend them.

Originally posted by iMarty View Post
                                      Good brand. ESR should be low enough.
                                      ... But that series has 470uF/16v in both 8mm and 10mm and that ad doesn't tell you which it is.

What country are you in?
                                      Last edited by PCBONEZ; 08-09-2011, 07:34 AM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                      -
                                      -

Comment

double post
                                        Last edited by PCBONEZ; 08-09-2011, 07:34 AM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                        -
                                        -

Comment

I m from Estonia, near finland. There isnt really many offers. I checked the mouser but shipping itself costs 20Euros already and thats insane for few capacitors.

Btw, is it okay to have polymer capacitors instead ?

Another thing i noticed that the capacitor that is replaced is 470uF but 35V instead of 16. Can it cause any problems.

And can the FAN speed be related to blown capacitors as it wont go over 30% even tho the temps was almost 90 Degrees Celsius.

Regards

Comment

Working...
                                          X