2200uf 10v cap replace with 6.3v?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2200uf 10v cap replace with 6.3v?

might be your rule and having some headroom is great.
    but its common practice even on high reliability/industrial stuff to use 6.3v caps on a 5v line.
    most caps have a surge rating well above the stamped rating.
    good ones can take moderate overvoltage forever due to being designed with some headroom.forget that on cheap and nasty stuff like we often replace!

Comment

is it normal for a cap to read over what it rated for?
      for ex i have a 50v 1000uf cap and its reading 1030-1033uf on my ESR tester i have a few other things also but cant start a new thread for some reason

Comment

Originally posted by 9302z28ss View Post
        is it normal for a cap to read over what it rated for?
        for ex i have a 50v 1000uf cap and its reading 1030-1033uf on my ESR tester i have a few other things also but cant start a new thread for some reason
        Yes, capacitors (in fact most, if not all components) are not exactly what they say on the label. Electrolytic capacitors typically have a tolerance of +/-20% which means the value they really are could be as much as 20% higher (or lower) than what they say on the label.

Bear in mind also that your meter will not be perfectly accurate either - although it should be a lot better than 20%!
        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
        -David VanHorn

Comment

That's good to hear at least I don't need to replace that. I need two 250v 300uf 105c caps they rent yen barrel style about an inch tall and wide and I also need a 50v 470uf about 1/2 in wide and 3/4 in tall anybody have any? Sorry to hijack

Comment

so back to this 19" monitor.
            replacing that one bulging cap did make the monitor work, though it has a slight problem;
            certain shades of certain colors result in the pixel actually displaying a different shade. Ex: dark blue (near top right of windows 7 default background) some of the pixels flicker from normal to a darker shade. and gets significantly more noticeable when a uac prompt dims the screen.

is it possible it is anything besides the capacitors that are causing this?

Comment

Possibly you have more than one bad capacitor - they can fail without visible signs. If one was bad, likely the rest are on the way out. Replace them all, especially any the same brand as the one that was blown. It could be that bad power is affecting the signal processing chips

It could also be a faulty video cable (DVI\HDMI is susceptible to this kind of thing)

Don't rule out a faulty graphics card unless you have tried another monitor too.

Might even be a faulty panel in the monitor.
              "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
              -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                to make a capacitor bulge you either have to run it on it's voltage lmiit or put high rfequency ripple into a cap not designed for it.

what i posted was something else,
                as a design rule a cap's minimum voltage should be 1.5x the input voltage to allow for the ripple.
                5v x1.5 = 7.5 NOT 6.3 so using a 6.3v cap on a 5v line is asking for trouble down the road.
                I use 6.3 volt quality caps to replace 10 volt-rated ones on 5 volt rails, and I've never had a failure yet even after 4 years of the repair.

Comment

Working...
                X