Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are bad-cap brands getting better?

Originally posted by lti View Post
    I have compared Xicons and Lelons. They look identical, aside from the sleeve color and brand name. Also, every store that used to sell Xicon now sells Lelon.

I have heard of motherboards that used Xicon caps, but they may have been recapped.
    So are Lelons Xicons or are Xicons Lelons?

Are they okay, either way?

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
      I have compared Xicons and Lelons. They look identical, aside from the sleeve color and brand name. Also, every store that used to sell Xicon now sells Lelon.

I have heard of motherboards that used Xicon caps, but they may have been recapped.
      According to this document, Xicon and Leon have some sort of agreement, it seems as if Lelon has taken over Xicon's electrolytic division.

But according to this, Lelon did not in the past manufacture Xicon caps:
      Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
      Xicon are good caps but little or none available in the way of low ESR.<snip>
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
        According to this document, Xicon and Leon have some sort of agreement, it seems as if Lelon has taken over Xicon's electrolytic division.

But according to this, Lelon did not in the past manufacture Xicon caps:
        In which case, should we trust them?

Comment

I would use old stock Xicon, but I would not touch anything Lelon.
          "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

I would use old stock Xicon, but I would not touch anything Lelon.
            Okay then.

Quick! CapXon vs Lelon? ...Lelon,right?

Comment

Capxon. I can take a low esr Capxon which maybe has a superior ripple ratign and use it for general purpose applications. Lelon low-esr caps are few and in-between.

Comment

Capxon. I can take a low esr Capxon which maybe has a superior ripple ratign and use it for general purpose applications. Lelon low-esr caps are few and in-between.
                Hmmph. I'm stumped. I was sure that nothing could be as bad as CapXon (on this tier).

Comment

Fuhjyuu and Suscon are lesser quality than Capxon.

Comment

Fuhjyyu worse than CapXon, yes. Su'scon is better.
                    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I think that Capxon should do a corporate restructure and re-brand themselves as Crapxon, 'cause if you buy anything with them in it, well you get...

CRAPPED ON!

You know I'm almost at the point now where I say screw the warranty, let's pop this [*insert capacitor laden electronic device here*] open and see what's inside. And on that note, I really think that we could provide a great service to the WWW by creating a Wiki with a comprehensive listing of ALL cap manufacturers as well as listing PSU's, MoBo's, and any manner of electronic devices made past and present with caps in them. I mean, as this board grows bigger and older and wiser I think that you may find good information getting lost, old threads dug up (guilty). If cap master sees the wisdom in this, I can and will assist in creating and maintaining said Wiki. Just throwing it out there for consideration

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                      I posted about a capacitor load tester a while back. I'll probably build it in a month or so.
                      I would like to see this tester Th3_uN1Qu3, perhaps I can build it now that my soldering confidence is building back up!
                      If you voted for Obama in 2008 to prove you weren't a racist, you'd better vote for someone else in 2012 to prove you're not an idiot!

Comment

Originally posted by Digital Technophile View Post
                        I really think that we could provide a great service to the WWW by creating a Wiki with a comprehensive listing of ALL cap manufacturers as well as listing PSU's, MoBo's, and any manner of electronic devices made past and present with caps in them
                        http://capacitor.web.fc2.com/

I would like to see this tester Th3_uN1Qu3, perhaps I can build it now that my soldering confidence is building back up!
                        Well, now that i've got a PIC programmer i can do lots of funky things that would otherwise require a crapload of trimmers to get right. The basic schematic of the meter has been finished quite a while ago, but the micro will make it simpler and more efficient. Now i just need to buy an LCD display.
                        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

http://capacitor.web.fc2.com/

Well, now that i've got a PIC programmer i can do lots of funky things that would otherwise require a crapload of trimmers to get right. The basic schematic of the meter has been finished quite a while ago, but the micro will make it simpler and more efficient. Now i just need to buy an LCD display.
                          Well that site's a start, only I'm not so great at Japanese and apparently, neither is Google. BUt looking at the site, it seems as though people across the world are pissed off at bad caps! Just looking upon the sheer number of cap manufacturers, makes me wonder...maybe I can make caps too

Seriously, I'd like to see what you come up with the tester. What kind of LCD do you seek? Something like this:
                          http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/sto...001_2118660_-1
                          I'd really like an ESR meter, but more so building one to increase my knowledge of electronics would be even better. Make sure to keep us posted, sounds like you're close!
                          If you voted for Obama in 2008 to prove you weren't a racist, you'd better vote for someone else in 2012 to prove you're not an idiot!

Comment

http://kaspars.id.lv/?menu_id=32

This guy makes some really neat stuff...especially with power related things.

When I get the nerve , I definitley want to try this thing. It looks like one of the best DIY ESR testers I've ever seen...though I can't be sure.
                            Last edited by TheLaw; 05-26-2011, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Well that site's a start, only I'm not so great at Japanese and apparently, neither is Google.
                              It could be worse. IE8's built-in translator thought the site was written in French.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLaw View Post

When I get the nerve , I definitley want to try this thing. It looks like one of the best DIY ESR testers I've ever seen...though I can't be sure.
                                Oh yeah, nice find! When I looked for ESR testers, I saw the page @ http://members.shaw.ca/swstuff/esrmeter.html. At the time, I wasn't sure (and still a bit so) I would be capable of such a project. And though analog readouts are nice for certain applications, I like digital in this instance for size and precision (c & c welcome). I see a couple of road blocks in this endeavor, mainly PIC programming (uhh, Th3_uN1Qu3???) and/or calibration. I do however feel fortunate to live in a town (albeit a small one) that just so happens to have a PCB manufacturer in it
                                Perhaps some more reading and info digging are in order.

Comment

Oh yeah, nice find! When I looked for ESR testers, I saw the page @ http://members.shaw.ca/swstuff/esrmeter.html. At the time, I wasn't sure (and still a bit so) I would be capable of such a project. And though analog readouts are nice for certain applications, I like digital in this instance for size and precision (c & c welcome). I see a couple of road blocks in this endeavor, mainly PIC programming (uhh, Th3_uN1Qu3???) and/or calibration. I do however feel fortunate to live in a town (albeit a small one) that just so happens to have a PCB manufacturer in it
                                  I put together a possible build on Mouser, and with the best possible parts I could fine, the cost of the ESR meter is a whopping $30. If you went with cheaper film capacitors, carbon film resistors etc., you could probably get the price down to around $20-25.

I don't have a PIC programmer, though I suppose it would be a good thing to have. He has all of the files for the PIC as well. He provides the board layout, schematic files, and how to calibrate it. Pretty sweet honestly.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLaw View Post

Yeah, that meter looks really neat. Also he has the same DMM as i do. However, i'm not too sure about the measuring method used... looks like too many parts involved in the "calibration". I am going to do large signal measurements - analyzing the behavior of the cap in a real world application. Since the ripple currents involved will be large, the accompanying voltage drop due to ESR will be high, thus easier to measure.

I see a couple of road blocks in this endeavor, mainly PIC programming (uhh, Th3_uN1Qu3???) and/or calibration. I do however feel fortunate to live in a town (albeit a small one) that just so happens to have a PCB manufacturer in it
                                    The analog meters aren't up to snuff. You either get large useful range but low precision or high precision but limited range. As far as PIC programming goes... i managed to learn the basics in 3 days. And that's in assembly language not BASIC or C. Their limited instruction set makes them really trivial to code for. It also means that you have to use a lot of tricks however, but you can make subroutines that you call to make those tricks... Once you've written all your subroutines the code pretty much becomes "call this, call that".

I'll be getting two 28-pin PICs along with two 16x2 LCD displays today. 5 output pins really aren't enough for anything more than dimming/blinking/spinning a few LEDs.

Comment

Once you've written all your subroutines the code pretty much becomes "call this, call that".
                                      Isn't that what the BASIC already does?
                                      sig files are for morons

Comment

Yeah, that meter looks really neat. Also he has the same DMM as i do. However, i'm not too sure about the measuring method used... looks like too many parts involved in the "calibration". I am going to do large signal measurements - analyzing the behavior of the cap in a real world application. Since the ripple currents involved will be large, the accompanying voltage drop due to ESR will be high, thus easier to measure.

The analog meters aren't up to snuff. You either get large useful range but low precision or high precision but limited range. As far as PIC programming goes... i managed to learn the basics in 3 days. And that's in assembly language not BASIC or C. Their limited instruction set makes them really trivial to code for. It also means that you have to use a lot of tricks however, but you can make subroutines that you call to make those tricks... Once you've written all your subroutines the code pretty much becomes "call this, call that".

I'll be getting two 28-pin PICs along with two 16x2 LCD displays today. 5 output pins really aren't enough for anything more than dimming/blinking/spinning a few LEDs.
                                        Well good luck on that. MCUs kind of turn me off unless the code is right there for me. I really should learn about them more....If only I had time.

Comment

Pretty complicated stuff. I don't blame you for being too lazy to figure that stuff out

Comment

Working...
                                          X