Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favourite Bulk Capacaitors

Hi Guys,

Just repaired a Turntable for audio HiFi, The Panasonic FC series capacitor is 3mm to tall. What are your favorite Brand / Series for Bulk smoothing capacitors (after bridge rectifier)...?

Your favorites?

Re: Favourite Bulk Capacaitors

epcos

Comment

i like pana FR
      cheaper than FC but better.
      or for rare cases where the esr is too low, i look to rubycon YXF or YXG series

Comment

Both the Pana FR and Epcos have extremely good specs, FR 105° 10,000hrs great ripple and low ESR. The same for Epcos 125° 7000hrs great ripple and low ESR. They are pretty much on par.

I will look into this Brand epcos a little more as I dont know much about them. The Pana FR Vs FC seem to have a lot of debate, but the FR series definitely better specd, quite impressive I have to say!

Comment

FR are too new to know yet, bit FC will leak out at the legs after a decade or 2
          i'v seen it many times in sega dreamcast and silicone-graphics psu's

Comment

Noted

Comment

i use a lots of FR PANASONIC NIPPON CHEM SMM-KMQ .NICHICON GU KEMMET and recently SAMXON WL and BC 136KO series all very good caps but i must say fr panasonics and bc is impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                FR are too new to know yet, bit FC will leak out at the legs after a decade or 2
                i'v seen it many times in sega dreamcast and silicone-graphics psu's
                iv got a pretty much brand new dreamcast in storage, only been run a few hours at most. would that be in the zone for capacitor issues?

Comment

i would check it.
                  if you are in a 100 or 110/120v country take some psu pics - i'v only seen european ones and curious if they are actually full-range and just not marked that way.

Comment

Chemicon KZ. I used to use Panasonic FC/FJ/FK/FM a lot, but they get pricier because they are harder to source here (authentic ones) unless I go online and buy them from Mouser, but after shipping fee and GST added in, they're just not cost effective, for an example if you're DIY a capacitance multiplier PSU.

Chemicon KZ OTOH are mass produced locally, at the factory they built here. The same goes with Samyoung/Samwha (Samsung) caps, these I forget which series that are good and have low ESR, tho I find them often when repairing LG and Samsung TV and monitor power supplies and they have a brown or a black sleeve with a silver print.

Comment

I just get the cheapest thing that physically fits. If it's something I care about, I'll use one of the Japanese brands (usually Rubycon). I've never used TDK/Epcos caps, but I've seen their snap-in caps used in industrial equipment (along with Cornell Dubilier - just make sure you're getting CDE brand instead of Mallory because Mallory caps are just Yageo/Kemet with a huge markup).

Comment

Working...
                      X