Lg 3d plasma 60pz550 i've got sound but no picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lg 3d plasma 60pz550 i've got sound but no picture

My first post, newbie here. I've got a hand me down TV (LG PLASMA 3D TV 60PZ550). with no picture, but i CAN turn it on and change the channels and adjust the volume. JUST NO PICTURES. oh! and no remote, just saying.
    Its only 2 years old so I'm assuming its worth the cost of repair?

I've read through a few of the post for this model TV with no specific solution for my problem.

I'm not a electronic technician by any means, but i am knowledgeable and can comprehend. I would like to see if i could repair it myself with the help of the professionals and many knowledgeable users here.

(anybody can just take it to a TV shop and pay the price to fix it. No No that's too easy )

Some back history: it was transported 2500 miles in the back of a Jeep, TWICE. After the last time, when it was turned on, it had a few lines/stripes along the bottom of the screen. As a repair, it was smacked a few times (the front control panel and the rear of the TV). After that attempt to repair, here we are "PICTURE BAD, SOUND GOOD!!

Any help is going to be Very Much Appreciated, be patient with me.

I've already removed the back panel and took pictures. That seems to be the first step????

THANX, IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP. DAVE (STROHS99)

Re: Lg 3d plasma 60pz550 i've got sound but no picture

Hmm, smacks on the back of the panel? That could crack the panel! Is the panel completely intact with no cracks on it at all? In a dark room can you see the panel glowing slightly?
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Have you done the tests Tom suggested in the other thread -
      State the test and the result you get
      Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
        Hmm, smacks on the back of the panel? That could crack the panel! Is the panel completely intact with no cracks on it at all? In a dark room can you see the panel glowing slightly?

Hello, the screen is completely intact. no cracks no scratches.. I've only done the darkroom test with no signs of any light or glow. I'll get a tester today and test the fuses on the ysus today. I did disconnect the top and bottom y buffers individually and both at the same time to see if that would create a differ effect, no change.

Comment

I'll also test some of the voltage/ohm points mentioned in some of the other threads. As a side note, the slap on the TV didn't immediately render the no picture. that came about a few days later.
          Last edited by strohs99; 07-19-2014, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Check if the screen glows in a dark room first...
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I've had it in bedroom, pitch dark at night. plugged in and playing with an antenna hooked up for a few days now, with a channel playing the volume low. To see if the picture miraculously returns.

no glow while playing and no change in the screen when I turn it on or off. Just a loud click every time you hit the power button coming from the board ( I'm assuming is the power supply) in the back directly in the middle of the TV.
              Last edited by strohs99; 07-19-2014, 10:55 AM. Reason: clarify

Comment

https://plus.google.com/photos/10569...24078673190001

I've loaded these pictures of the actually TV in case A trained eye can spot an obvious problem (simple solution). I'll keep my fingers crossed
                Last edited by strohs99; 07-19-2014, 11:39 AM.

Comment

OK, do you know how to use your multimeter to measure voltages?

Comment

I'm strongly familiar with voltage it's the Ohms that gets me. Not sure what range to put the meter on when testing Ohms or Resistance .

Comment

For now, we'll use volts DC. May not need ohms. Ohms range is marked by the horseshoe/omega symbol. Can you supply pictures of the boards in the TV and one of your multimeter?

Comment

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-6...o/P1020586.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Y...020586-001.JPG

Hopefully these pictures came thru, was having a time with the attachments
                        Last edited by strohs99; 07-19-2014, 03:09 PM.

Comment

https://plus.google.com/photos/10569...24078673190001

This should be all the boards and the meter i'm using.
                          Last edited by strohs99; 07-19-2014, 03:38 PM.

Comment

OK, bottom right of this board (control board)
                            https://plus.google.com/photos/10569...74314084799350

See the two holes between R51 & R52?
                            Take a piece of wire and put a jumper across them (with power to the TV unplugged)

Then, unplug the thick cable between the main A/V board, which has the HDMI ports on it, and the control board, which you are putting the jumper on. (This is the LVDS cable.)

Turn the TV on, do you get any patterns on the screen?

Comment

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-g...o/P1020602.JPG

Not sure if it's relevant but but I took a picture of the Z sus from a differ angle to show the brown heat sink has unusual discoloration.
                              Last edited by strohs99; 07-19-2014, 05:13 PM. Reason: larger photo

Comment

Jumpered.
                                No patterns on the screen. still black/no glow. The THICK CABLE wire you mentioned to disconnect was the wide RIBBON to the A/V board.

Comment

tom66, In the mean time I've tested the 2 fuses on the Y sus.
                                  I noticed you mentioned that in an earlier post.

Top fuse above that copper coil .2v (starts high trickles too....)

Bottom fuse below heat sink 2.5v

Comment

Can you check the Vs and Va from the power board? You can check at the connector, or sometimes there are test points for testing directly.

Comment

tom66.

I tested all the Vs and Va at the connectors on the power board that go to the Ysus and Zsus. Results Va 53v
                                      Vs 200v

Comment

OK, now on the Y-sustain you will see two resistors one marked VSC and one marked VY. Can you measure ACROSS these, i.e. red to one end black to the other. It does not matter which way around. Careful not to slip, high voltage.

Exact voltages printed on sticker like:
                                        Vs: 205V Va: 55V
                                        N.A. / -VY / VSC / N.A. / VZB

Comment

Working...
                                        X