Dell Inspiron N5110 dark screen after HDD replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Inspiron N5110 dark screen after HDD replacement

I am working on a Dell Inspiron N5110 laptop. The computer had a failing hard drive so I dissasembled it and replaced the hard drive. Note that with this model the entire laptop has to be taken apart. The motherboard has to be removed and turned over to where the hard drive is mounted directly to the motherboard.

I replaced the hard drive and found that the screen is now dark. Please also note that I am very careful about static and use all the safety equipment to prevent any damage it may cause. I can direct the video to a remote monitor and everything is fine. The dark screen acts as if the backlight has gone bad or possibly the inverter. You can use a flashlight and see the images on the screen. One thing to note is that I then restored a factory install to the hard drive so that I could run some of the diagnostics that come with the laptop. For instance if you hold down the D key while pressing the power button it goes directly into a video test. The beginning of the test is dark, but when it gets to the color screen tests, such as green, blue, etc. the screen lights up as if nothing was wrong with it. This only lasts until the system is restarted.

I have googled several sites discussing this problem, a few of which stated that all they did was replace the hard drive and had the same thing happen to them. They did not mention whether or not they could get the screen to light up during the test as I did. A couple of people mentioned that their computer was still under warranty; and that Dell replaced the screen and the motherboard before they could get it to work. One replaced the screen with no results. Another person stated that he worked on several of these and the connector where the monitor cable plugs into the motherboard does not have a good connection. I checked and rechecked that connection and even went so far as to replace the video cable. (I did that before I could get the screen to light up under test). Since the screen lights up under test, it appears that the connections are good.

One very important thing to note with this model is that this computer has no separate inverter board; it is built into the screen. I have never worked on a monitor problem whose screen is designed quite like this one.

It seems strange that by just opening the laptop and replacing the hard drive one could cause such problems, unless it was just a connection. A change in hard drive alone should make no difference unless something is designed to cause such a problem whenever a hard drive is replaced. (Just a possible conspiracy theory ).

One theory that I have is that the high voltage required to overcome the initial resistance of the CCFL light is not being achieved until the Dell diagnostics is run; once enough voltage has overcome this, the CCFL lights, and once it lights it no longer requires the high voltage to remain lit and maintain the currrent required to do so. It is my understanding from what I have read that the LCD BIST test runs independent of the video controller. There may be something in that, though I haven't quite put my finger on it yet. Somehow the test must ramp up more voltage than during normal start up. Though all this may be true, it still doesn't answer why this just happens once the hard drive has been replaced. NOTE: There were no issues like this prior to opening the laptop.

Another possibility that came to me is that the power required to run the new hard drive is more than the old one and somehow is enough to prevent the CCFL light from lighting. By this I mean that it may have more of a power drain on the system so that it doesn't leave enough to fire the light. I replaced a Western Digital Scorpio Blue model WD6400BPVT-75HXZT1 with a Western Digital Scorpio Black model WD5000BPKT. The Blue (original drive) uses uses 1.6 Watts read/write average usage (0.95 amps peak usage), and the Black (new drive) 1.75 Watts read\write average usage (1.15 amps peak usage). Is that really enough difference in power usage to expose the systems deficiencies? Of course I could put the original drive back into the computer to see if the video works again. This may give us a clue to what is wrong?

I would appreciate any help I can get with this problem.

Re: Dell Inspiron N5110 dark screen after HDD replacement

Well, I went ahead and reopened it up, reinstalled the old HDD and gave it another test. Same problem. So, I put it back together with the good HDD, connected it to an external video screen and ran some BIST tests. I hit F12 when booting up and ran all of the Dell diagnostics. They all passed, so I reran the screen tests with the external video turned off. I ran the complete tests without acknowledging that I saw any video test patterns. The video card patterns could only be seen with a flashlight, but the screen color tests all lit up as they should, blue, green, etc. When the tests finished, the screen lit up as it should until I shut it back down again.

When I send the video to an external screen, doesn't the external screen already have power to light its backlight without getting it from the laptop's video card? I can tell that the backlight and screen work, because it lights when I run the full screen BIST video test. It almost seems to be a borderline voltage issue from the video card...?

I found that this screen uses an LED backlight. It does not have an inverter!

Any help here would be great!

Comment

check the fuse near screen connector on motherboard. Also find the schematic and trace vin, back light on/off and brightness signals. One of them is missing.

Comment

I am looking for the proper schematic. I found the one you (Spidey) posted in another thread.
        dell_inspiron_n5110_m5110_dq15_wistron_queen_15_intel_discrete_uma_sandy_bridge_rev_a00_sch.pdf

I am looking on page 49 at what I believe is the 30 pin connector that makes the connection from the motherboard to the video screen. It looks like the LCD brightness is pin 5.

So you are thinking a possible blown fuse, so the screen can't light. It might only be lit through another pin such as a test pin?...

Pin 26 looks like the LCD test, but I can't seem to find the back light on/off. Without some guidance I think I may be in over my head here.

I guess the best way to test for these voltages is to connect to the pin where it is soldered to the board. I am not sure I have the proper test equipment to be able to read the voltages. Is a high quality multimeter enough to make these tests? I would think so as long as I am not trying to read something on one of the LVDS data pins.

What does the 3D3V_s0 on pin 27 do? Looks like it could be a controlling voltage.

I guess the best way to find the proper fuse is to just trace it out on the board. I just have to know which pin I need to trace it to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
        Last edited by Blackthorn; 09-12-2013, 11:19 AM. Reason: clarified information

Comment

plzz take this advice in consideration from speedypro and me ( i manage to get rid of this problem) https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29494
          nearly the same model
          Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

So speedypro fixed the problem just by cleaning around the gpu with MEK? I am familiar with MEK (Methyl ethyl ketone). We used to use it to clean our paint equipment. I used all the protection equipment; gloves, respirator, and goggles, so hopefully I didn't get any serious exposure to it. It is absorbed through the skin, for those who intend on using it. I would be very careful. (Although the US gov't no longer thinks it is bad stuff, I really think it will destroy your liver.)

What about using CRC QD Contact Cleaner?

Comment

Originally posted by Blackthorn View Post
              So speedypro fixed the problem just by cleaning around the gpu with MEK? I am familiar with MEK (Methyl ethyl ketone). We used to use it to clean our paint equipment. I used all the protection equipment; gloves, respirator, and goggles, so hopefully I didn't get any serious exposure to it. It is absorbed through the skin, for those who intend on using it. I would be very careful. (Although the US gov't no longer thinks it is bad stuff, I really think it will destroy your liver.)

What about using CRC QD Contact Cleaner?
              i don`t rly know about cleaning , i try it but did not see any difference . still i did ask him about reflow and he said yeee go for it and i did and now the notebook its well and working like a charm

Comment

I found the proper fuse: F4901 It is rated for 1 Amp at 24V. The fuse tested good. I can find no sign of overheating anywhere.

So, as far as making voltage tests, what is recommended?

Originally posted by dj_ricoh View Post
                i don`t rly know about cleaning , i try it but did not see any difference . still i did ask him about reflow and he said yeee go for it and i did and now the notebook its well and working like a charm
                So did you do the reflow yourself using an oven or heat gun? How did you go about it?

edit: I found some information on the Backlight Connector on page 69 of the schematics. Strange they have it on the page titled: Keyboard/Touchpad.

It seems there is a fuse F6901 for the backlight protection and that pin 27 is KB_BL_CTRL, or as I would think, "Backlight Control". OOPS, I think this must be for the Keyboard Backlight Control. It must be on certain laptops, though it is not on this one.

Any help reading the schematics would be most appreciated.
                Thanks
                Last edited by Blackthorn; 09-12-2013, 04:19 PM. Reason: OOPS

Comment

So, as far as making voltage tests, what is recommended?

So did you do the reflow yourself using an oven or heat gun? How did you go about it?

edit: I found some information on the Backlight Connector on page 69 of the schematics. Strange they have it on the page titled: Keyboard/Touchpad.

Any help reading the schematics would be most appreciated.
                  Thanks
                  1st attaching the schematic so we can all see will be nice
                  2nd use what you got oven, heatgun, rework station but use what you know because if you don`t know any off those tools give it to someone who know.
                  i can do it with all. i use the 1st the the 3rd it depends of the case.

Comment

First of all, is the schematic you found same with your mobo ? if it is, on page 49 LVDS pinouts. pin 5 brightness (200mV - 2v,3v), pin27 on/off (3.3v), pins 28,29,30 vin(18,5v-19v). You can measure these voltages with a simple voltmeter or multimeter.

Comment

Originally posted by spidey View Post
                      First of all, is the schematic you found same with your mobo ? if it is, on page 49 LVDS pinouts. pin 5 brightness (200mV - 2v,3v), pin27 on/off (3.3v), pins 28,29,30 vin(18,5v-19v). You can measure these voltages with a simple voltmeter or multimeter.
                      I have been trying to verify that I have the correct schematic since I downloaded it. I am going to take the voltage readings anyway just to see what I get...

I will have to take another look at the laptop to see if I can verify that I have the right manual.

Inspiron 15R N5110

Comment

The only info I can find on the board (without removing it again).

CN-0G8RW1-70166-167-0CQA-A01
                        It uses the HM67 Intel Huron River chipset (as far as I can tell).
                        It uses the Nuvoton NPCE795 keyboard controller.
                        So it looks like revision A01

I cannot find the PCB P/N as is on page 2 of the manual.

I may have to pull the board out entirely to get to any more info.

edit: There are several numbers on the case, but they seem to apply to the case itself.

Using the service tag number on Dell's site only gives me:
                        Computer Model
                        Inspiron 15R N5110

Shipping Date
                        7/19/2011

Country
                        United States

Looking at the components for the service tag number gives me a long list of confusing information, much of which seems to be contradictory...

I may just boot it up and use software to identify the components...

I did a check on which pins are ground and they seem to match the schematic. I get a ground on pins 9, 10, 18, & 21 and no other grounded pins.
                        Last edited by Blackthorn; 09-13-2013, 12:41 PM. Reason: to correct info

Comment

remove the board and find the code.

Comment

One thing I was trying to do was to get a micrograbber small enough to fit onto the very small leads of the connector that is soldered to the board. Even my smallest will not attach to the pins. I really don't want to take any chances of shorting the pins out with my test leads when I power it up.

Another thing I wanted to do was to have the keyboard and all other ribbon cables connected so that the laptop will function normally when it is trying to boot up. My concern was that I would get a load of errors for everything not being connected and not get the readings I like.

Any help with what you use to attach to the pins to get your readings would be great.

Yes spidey, I will remove the board and get the info. Thanks!
                            Last edited by Blackthorn; 09-16-2013, 01:22 PM.

Comment

how old is the notebook?
                              didi you took the headsink out? if the thermal compound its hard (themal paste) you need to reflow it

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ricoh View Post
                                how old is the notebook?
                                didi you took the headsink out? if the thermal compound its hard (themal paste) you need to reflow it
                                I think we are talking about two different things here. The computer is not that old, but I don't think the CPU is really the issue here in this case. I am not having any issues with the CPU, so I don't think that changing the thermal paste on the CPU is going to fix my problem.

I think it could be that "reflowing" the solder on the video chip could fix the problem, but I would only do that if I could get hold of the proper equipment. I think I would replace the tin solder balls with lead, and just go ahead and "reball" the video chip. Tin doesn't have the flexibility of tin & lead solder, and fractures much easier. Tin solder also has many other problems associated with it that lead combinations don't have. Tin solder has a "whisker" issue that still hasn't been resolved as far as I am concerned.

It is possible that the solder in the video chip fractured when I replaced the hard drive. They do make the hard drive a bit difficult to get off the board since they had an adhesive tape holding it in place. The hard drive had to be slid across the surface of the motherboard to disconnect it from the connector, which was held by the tape. This movement might have been enough to crack the tin solder holding the video chip in place.

Right now I am having problems in making the test connections with my meter so I don't short anything out. I was hoping someone could give me some suggestions as to how I can do it.

I bought a pair of Pomona 5790-0 rotating micrograb Test Clips to make the connection, but they won't work...
                                Last edited by Blackthorn; 09-17-2013, 12:49 AM.

Comment

I am working on a Dell Inspiron N5110 laptop. The computer had a failing hard drive so I dissasembled it and replaced the hard drive. Note that with this model the entire laptop has to be taken apart. The motherboard has to be removed and turned over to where the hard drive is mounted directly to the motherboard.

I replaced the hard drive and found that the screen is now dark. Please also note that I am very careful about static and use all the safety equipment to prevent any damage it may cause. I can direct the video to a remote monitor and everything is fine. The dark screen acts as if the backlight has gone bad or possibly the inverter. You can use a flashlight and see the images on the screen. One thing to note is that I then restored a factory install to the hard drive so that I could run some of the diagnostics that come with the laptop. For instance if you hold down the D key while pressing the power button it goes directly into a video test. The beginning of the test is dark, but when it gets to the color screen tests, such as green, blue, etc. the screen lights up as if nothing was wrong with it. This only lasts until the system is restarted.

I have googled several sites discussing this problem, a few of which stated that all they did was replace the hard drive and had the same thing happen to them. They did not mention whether or not they could get the screen to light up during the test as I did. A couple of people mentioned that their computer was still under warranty; and that Dell replaced the screen and the motherboard before they could get it to work. One replaced the screen with no results. Another person stated that he worked on several of these and the connector where the monitor cable plugs into the motherboard does not have a good connection. I checked and rechecked that connection and even went so far as to replace the video cable. (I did that before I could get the screen to light up under test). Since the screen lights up under test, it appears that the connections are good.

One very important thing to note with this model is that this computer has no separate inverter board; it is built into the screen. I have never worked on a monitor problem whose screen is designed quite like this one.

It seems strange that by just opening the laptop and replacing the hard drive one could cause such problems, unless it was just a connection. A change in hard drive alone should make no difference unless something is designed to cause such a problem whenever a hard drive is replaced. (Just a possible conspiracy theory ).

One theory that I have is that the high voltage required to overcome the initial resistance of the CCFL light is not being achieved until the Dell diagnostics is run; once enough voltage has overcome this, the CCFL lights, and once it lights it no longer requires the high voltage to remain lit and maintain the currrent required to do so. It is my understanding from what I have read that the LCD BIST test runs independent of the video controller. There may be something in that, though I haven't quite put my finger on it yet. Somehow the test must ramp up more voltage than during normal start up. Though all this may be true, it still doesn't answer why this just happens once the hard drive has been replaced. NOTE: There were no issues like this prior to opening the laptop.

Another possibility that came to me is that the power required to run the new hard drive is more than the old one and somehow is enough to prevent the CCFL light from lighting. By this I mean that it may have more of a power drain on the system so that it doesn't leave enough to fire the light. I replaced a Western Digital Scorpio Blue model WD6400BPVT-75HXZT1 with a Western Digital Scorpio Black model WD5000BPKT. The Blue (original drive) uses uses 1.6 Watts read/write average usage (0.95 amps peak usage), and the Black (new drive) 1.75 Watts read\write average usage (1.15 amps peak usage). Is that really enough difference in power usage to expose the systems deficiencies? Of course I could put the original drive back into the computer to see if the video works again. This may give us a clue to what is wrong?

I would appreciate any help I can get with this problem.
                                  here is the schematic: http://www.mediafire.com/view/jx87d5...9-1_4HH01).pdf
                                  pass: vvacl

I think you lost a small board that insert to socket HALL1, so it lost LID_CLOSE# signal from sensor to I/O. This will lead to the I/O will not send signal to enable the backlight.
                                  Replace by using a resistor 10k connecting Pin 4&5 to pin 2 of HALL1.
                                  I think it'll be OK. i met two faults like yours.

Sorry for my bad english
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by vvacl; 09-17-2013, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Great work @vvacl, solution working 100%, thanks...!

Comment

First dry saltring the I/O ic then its not work then proceed to hall1 connector jumper follow the procedure by vvacl...

Comment

Originally posted by vvacl View Post
                                        here is the schematic: http://www.mediafire.com/view/jx87d5...9-1_4HH01).pdf
                                        pass: vvacl

I think you lost a small board that insert to socket HALL1, so it lost LID_CLOSE# signal from sensor to I/O. This will lead to the I/O will not send signal to enable the backlight.
                                        Replace by using a resistor 10k connecting Pin 4&5 to pin 2 of HALL1.
                                        I think it'll be OK. i met two faults like yours.

Sorry for my bad english
                                        This may be my issue but I'm not understanding what I need to do "Replace by using a resistor 10k connecting Pin 4&5 to pin 2 of HALL1."

Comment

Working...
                                        X