Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emachines D725 Keyboard and touchpad not working

Hi guys,

Just wanted to ask you guys if you encountered this problem. The keyboard and touchpad were working fine until a week ago when it finally stopped working. i tried all the shortcut keys on the keyboard maybe it was just disabled but everything was ok there. Next thing i did was uninstall and reinstall the drivers, still the same. And the last thing i did was try with a new keyboard but with the same result. All the keys on the keyboard dont work same with the touchpad, no response. If you guys have any suggestions on how to fix this problem i would greatly appreciate it.

P.S. it works with usb keyboard and mouse but not with the internal keyboard and touchpad.

Thank you in advance.

Re: Emachines D725 Keyboard and touchpad not working

Don't know if this is relevant to your particular model, but on other emachines you can unwittingly lock the touchpad if you press the button next to the power button...

Comment

well sounds like hardware issue but to fully rule out software or drivers boot with hirens boot cd and log into mini xp or ubuntu portable and see if you can regain keyboard functions if you can then its software related however if still no go then its certainly hardware without a doubt....

Comment

Originally posted by Taxman View Post
        Don't know if this is relevant to your particular model, but on other emachines you can unwittingly lock the touchpad if you press the button next to the power button...
        thanks for the advice. i tried that button but still the same.

Comment

From memory of working on a friend's mchine a while back, I think pressing Fn and F7 also locks / unlocks the touchpad.

You said you uninstalled the drivers. Did you actually uninstall the devices? Normally Windows (or whatever system you use) would automatically reinstall the devices on reboot.

Could be a virus too of course. Encountered that recently on another machine that was infected by the West Yorkshire Police virus. Unlikely though, as you'd have seen the threatening messages first asking you to pay the 'fine'.

Does everything work properly in BIOS?

Comment

Originally posted by heavymachines View Post
            well sounds like hardware issue but to fully rule out software or drivers boot with hirens boot cd and log into mini xp or ubuntu portable and see if you can regain keyboard functions if you can then its software related however if still no go then its certainly hardware without a doubt....
            thanks for your advice, i tried booting it up on hirens but with the same result. seems to be a hardware problem. do you have any suggestions where i can check for the hardware prob?

Comment

From memory of working on a friend's mchine a while back, I think pressing Fn and F7 also locks / unlocks the touchpad.

You said you uninstalled the drivers. Did you actually uninstall the devices? Normally Windows (or whatever system you use) would automatically reinstall the devices on reboot.

Could be a virus too of course. Encountered that recently on another machine that was infected by the West Yorkshire Police virus. Unlikely though, as you'd have seen the threatening messages first asking you to pay the 'fine'.

Does everything work properly in BIOS?
              i tried that already. it does not work also on the bios. and i tried also booting up on hirens on my flashdrive. touchpad and keyboard does not work there either.

Comment

Odd. If it was the keyboard alone then I'd maybe suspect a loose ribbon, but not when it's both devices. Have you tried a cold reset? Unlikely to resolve your problems but sometimes does fix the most unusual faults - switch off, remove battery, power plug and all attached devices, then hold power button for 30-40 seconds then plug everything back in and power up again. As I said, unlikely to be a fix, but sometimes...

Comment

PS Keep the battery out when first restarting after a cold reset.

Comment

Odd. If it was the keyboard alone then I'd maybe suspect a loose ribbon, but not when it's both devices. Have you tried a cold reset? Unlikely to resolve your problems but sometimes does fix the most unusual faults - switch off, remove battery, power plug and all attached devices, then hold power button for 30-40 seconds then plug everything back in and power up again. As I said, unlikely to be a fix, but sometimes...
                    thanks for the advice, i tried the solution you suggested. both still dont work. i even tried taking out the cmos battery just out of curiosity but i still got the same result, no response from keyboard and touchpad.
                    _________________________________________________________________
                    Free Computer Service!!!!!!!!!
                    If We can´t Fix the problem.

Comment

Apologies if I'm stating the obvious but just in case you overlooked it -you did restart WITHOUT the battery yes?

Comment

Apologies if I'm stating the obvious but just in case you overlooked it -you did restart WITHOUT the battery yes?
                        yes i did. i followed your instructions by the book.

Comment

Stumped. Particularly since they're not working in BIOS mode. Do you get a keyboard error message when starting? If the system doesn't detect a keyboard then I'd expect to see that message (and hear a beep) early in the boot process. If you're not getting that message though, it would suggest that the system believes there is a keyboard there... albeit that it clearly isn't working.

If I can think of anything I'll get back to you.

Comment

Another possible cure that worked for others having same problem on a different Acer model - disable the battery controller in the device manager. Can't see how this would resolve matters though when you've already tried using it with the battery removed, but nothing to lose by trying.

Comment

Another random thought - any Logitech drivers on your system? Been racking my brains and just remembered a similar problem on another system a few years ago. It had Logitech drivers (can't remember if they were for camera or mouse or whatever) and everything had been working fine until the keyboard/mouse problem unexpectedly occured. No idea why the conflict arose given that everything had been fine previously, but removing the Logitech drivers fixed it.

Comment

if all else fails, there's always the system restore option of course... if that is indeed an option...

Comment

Ordinarily I'd also suggest checking to ensure that the keyboard is properly connected but judging by your initial post I'm taking it for granted that it is indeed connected properly.

Comment

Fn & F6?

Comment

thanks for your suggestions but those suggestions are software related. if the keyboard would have worked on the bios then those suggestions could work but keyboard and touchpad does not work on bios and on windows live when i boot to my flash drive so it cant be a software problem. even reformat cant work, but just for the fun of ill try all your suggestions. thanks again.

Comment

Apologies - just noticed you're a computer technician, hope I didn't insult or offend by stating options that would have been obvious to you. Good luck :-)

Comment

Working...
                                        X