Symptoms of an Asus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Symptoms of an Asus

The board is a litle older a p5p800 se, slightly different than p5p800. First the problems started with auto shutdowns and when rebooting it said you were over clocking which i wasn't. Then it would start normally and work for a while then it got worse and finally the vid card blew up so i replaced that and all was fine for a while. Then a power supply went out and got a new one and worked fine for a while but still kept getting the overclock msg when none was done at all.

Then cleaned out the cooler and put fresh thermal paste on and it went on for months after after cleaning it first of course. So time goes by and all of the sudden i get scrambled video out of the blue and a freeze and rebooting doesn't help, all the fans spin it either starts for a few seconds then stops or i get a scrambled post and a freeze. so i replace the battery unplugg the psu for a few hours and try again and the same thing and one time it starts so i leave it on and back up everything to an external drive just in case and the video scramble starts again and wont start after. I take it apart and notice two buldged caps and order caps for the whole thing. Replaced those two and all the others of the same size then noticed on the back of the board a brownish area near where the cpu is, it wasn't crud because it was washed out good before and drying for days. A better cpu cooler was put in a Zalman.

The brownish area underneath was near the cpu but not there it was by three tiny chips VRM?

Anyway these prescott chips are known to run hot so thats probably where the overclock errors came from. Booting from a linux disk with a memtest passed. So now from everything i read here it's basically fried and not worth saving.

Might not have happened if i put in a better cooler before?

Also my brother had the same model and it blew up too but different symptoms. And on another msg board some guy with the same got a p5p800 to replace the se and said the heat sink was different and ran cooler.

So it's partly my fault and Asus i guess and i'd rather get a used board instead of getting something else that needs different ram and now everything is pci-e and dont want to get all new cards either nor a fan because the one for LGA wont work either.

So it's a pisser and I see lots of other people had trouble with them.

Oh and the reverse polarity on the caps all i did was put the stripe on the same side where the old ones were same side.

Ps when i washed it everything was taken out and douched with simple green and rinsed totally off for a half hour and blown dry with a compressor forever then left to dry for days in front of a fan so that can't be the problem.

(just had to vent)

Re: Symptoms of an Asus

Pictures please!

Comment

Originally posted by seanc View Post
      Pictures please!
      Will do when i take it out again to replace, the camera software is on the affected machine. For now on this linux box this is the best i can do with Gimp with photos from a site but it is circled and the area underneath is that brownish color.
      Attached Files

Comment

You will have to replace the capacitors with a style of vent that looks like this on them:
        Last edited by mockingbird; 12-07-2011, 07:14 PM.
        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

What brand of PSU are you using?
          In response to mockingbird above, not all capacitor with that vent need to be replaced. For one thing, Chemicon uses that style of vent and generally speaking, Chemicon is considered a good grand. However, they do have problems with the KZG and KZJ series and those should be replaced. KZE, on the other hand, is fine.
          Last edited by momaka; 12-07-2011, 09:09 PM.

Comment

I actually prefer UCC over everything else, but it is more expensive than Rubycon and Nichicon in the US...

The reason I specified UCC here, is because he's asking in reference to a motherboard. Chances are, it's going to be KZG. What more, I'm very familiar with those generation of Asus boards. Most probably he will need to replace 8mm 16V 1000 KZG, 6.3V 1500 KZG, 16V 470 KZG and 6.3V 820 KZG.

Nichicon's "HM" series are a perfect replacement and readily available.
            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Being Asus it could be loaded up with OST as well.
              Mann-Made Global Warming.
              - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                What brand of PSU are you using?
                In response to mockingbird above, not all capacitor with that vent need to be replaced. For one thing, Chemicon uses that style of vent and generally speaking, Chemicon is considered a good grand. However, they do have problems with the KZG and KZJ series and those should be replaced. KZE, on the other hand, is fine.
                The PSU is an Antec 500w and fairly new, as far as the replacement caps go the ones that were sent matched mine, some are vented some not the smallest ones, the short 8mm ones around the cpu no vents same with the replacements. The only makes i could find on the ones i took out were on 5 of them that said KGZ and it was two of those that were bulged. The other old ones had no company name on it exept for Fj fujitsu? So all the replacements are either nichichon, panasonic, united chemicon which ever they had that was matching. I did look very closely and sure enough some do not have vents nor their replacements but about half or so do.

The united chemicon ones though only have a red mark on top, i assume that would match the same side as the stripe on the old ones?
                Last edited by Fud; 12-08-2011, 05:07 AM. Reason: forgot to add something

Comment

Originally posted by Fud View Post
                  The other old ones had no company name on it exept for Fj fujitsu?
                  If those have a "M", that is Panasonic series FJ.
                  --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

More detailed version.........

FJ is a series mark.
                    If it's the Panasonic [Matsushita] brand the logo is a stylized M with a box around it.

Don't confuse it with the more common M mark which just means +/-20% for the uF.
                    Just about every brand uses that mark because +/-20% is very common.

Fujitsu's logo mark is an F with a line above and below it.

Chemicon's is a small shield shape.
                    There may or may not also be letters identifying which division of Chemicon.
                    (United Chemicon, Nippon Chemicon, etc)

A similar shield logo with a dot in the center was used for a while by SamYoung. [A Korean brand.]
                    I'm pretty sure the got into trouble with Chemicon over that because they changed it to something else pretty fast.

Anyway.
                    Chemicon KZG and KZJ are high failure rate parts AND they often fail -without- bloating.
                    Many OST series will do the same thing. [Probably most.]
                    If a board is having any kind of issues at all it's best just to replace all of any of those.

There are some other Chemicon series that fail often but usually bloat. First two letters are TM. [Like TMZ, TMV]
                    Those aren't too common [could even say rare] but I have seen Asus use them on a socket 478 board.

Panasonics are good caps with no known bum series.
                    It's unusual to see a bad one and when you do something external to the cap killed.
                    Same-same with other series of Chemicon.
                    Last edited by PCBONEZ; 12-08-2011, 05:15 AM.

-
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                    -

Comment

I'm still wondering if the brownish cloud color on the back of the board is a sign that it's toast from high heat. Didn't really notice it until it was washed off totally. The chemicon ones all have FP on the top and no markings on the sides, all aluminum with no plastic coating. Hope this isn't a waste of time taking them all out replacing and still doesn't work....might as well though i can use the practice since i have all the replacements here. It's just that i heard the same complaints about this board getting too hot and frying even when not overclocking.

Got suspicious about it a couple of years ago when it would crash and on reboot it would say you overclocked start normally? Well yeah since i never did OC the thing ever.

Comment

brownish PCB around the VRM (voltage regulator) area seems to be "normal" for cheap POS asus boards.

here's a motherboard size comparison picture i keep in my bookmarks if someone asks.. just look how toasty that crappy asus microATX board is lol

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Comparison.jpg

Kinda makes you wonder if they went for black and dark brown PCBs to hide it..
                        Last edited by Scenic; 12-08-2011, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fud View Post
                          The chemicon ones all have FP on the top and no markings on the sides, all aluminum with no plastic coating.
                          This makes no sense.
                          If there are no markings then how do you know they are Chemicon?
                          -
                          A photo would help.

-

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          -

Comment

Oh my mistake with so many packets mixed with the others from the tv, sorry about that. The smaller silver ones are nichicon with writing only on the top with the FP and the red small semi circle on one side. Only the tv got the united chemicon ones. I did notice something odd though two sets of nichicon and one said from japan and the other china.

One set of six says 1600 uf and on the cap it says 1601, guess that doesn't really make a difference.

Comment

That kinda sounds like polymer caps?

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic View Post
                                That's what I was thinkin' too. - FPCAP.
                                That company used to be owned by Fujitsu but they sold it to Nichicon.
                                http://www.fpcap.jp/en/products/index.html
                                Thing is other brands could have an FP series [I think Panasonic does] which is why I suggested a photo.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic View Post
                                  Those are the exact types that were sent. Which is confusing because they aren't labeled uf or v and they add a 1 on the end of the number . Like how are you supposed to know if there are no standards in marking?

Even though the little packing label on one set of those said 1600 the cap said 1601 as uf on the packing label. Plus the voltage didn't even say v for volts even.

Comment

lowest line = volts
                                    line above that = uF
                                    the one at the end is the amount of zeros

1601 would be 160 + one zero = 1600
                                    They did this mainly for the small can types, where the whole number just wouldn't fit
                                    for example 152 would be 1500uF (just made up.. you get the point)

Comment

At any rate, those are not problematic caps.
                                      Very reliable.
                                      What else ya got?

-

- Dr Seuss
                                      -
                                      -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                                        At any rate, those are not problematic caps.
                                        Very reliable.
                                        What else ya got?
                                        Now that you mention it there is something else actually. The motherboard I'm seeing as toast now and just using it as practice. First thing though a tv PSU i replaced all in about 45 minutes or so and it went smooth as can be. When I got to the mobo i noticed they just wouldn't come off or just one lead would then the other would break off. Tried everything like adding more solder then sucking it out but still stuck.

This is the difference, on the motherboard i noticed that a bunch of the leads didn't have solder on them to begin with as if they were spot welded in place by a machine. No matter how much heating and poking they were still stuck usually just one side, it would suck but it's a practice board but still frustrating. The heat and wiggle didn't work at all and the pliers and heat and only a tiny little chunck of the lead left in the holes that refuse to come out. Now looking at it after a whole bunch look like there is no solder to begin with when they made it at all.

Since it's a practice board i resorted to stabbing it like one of charlie mansons girls to get that little peice of wire to come out to no avail. I got two of those out but not before the lead stayed there and came off the cap then needle nose pliers and more heat.

The thing is toast now but i'm still convinced the bloody things were spot welded or something unlike the PSU which was easy as pie.

Comment

Working...
                                        X