Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange Resistor Color Coding & Apparent Value

Hi,

I've got a thread going in the monitor repair forum where I've come across this "resistor" type thingie. (here: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12597) I am posting this here in the hopes that maybe some more people will see it and can comment on it.

I'm attaching an image below showing an apparent resistor (R106 on the PCB) with some strange color coding that doesn't seem to be possible.

The colors are brown black silver gold green

This makes no sense, as silver cannot be the third color in a 5 band coded resistor.

Changing out gray for the silver band leaves me with a resistor valued at 10.8 Ω with a ±.5% tollerance.

In a metal film, ceramic or otherwise flameproof resistor, a value of 10.8 Ω isn't even available in any tollerance rating. So I am very unsure of what I've got here.

It's in an LCD monitor power board, coming off the -lead of the main filter cap, bridging to the Source pin of a Power MOSFET, if that helps at all. The thing measures essentially .1 Ω currently, with no evidence of being burnt or damaged. The board ran extremely hot when it was working, and now I'm wondering if perhaps this component allowing too much current into the circuit could have been part of the reason.

Any help with this conundrum is VERY much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Steve
    Attached Files
    Last edited by stevekasian; 12-31-2010, 06:26 PM.

Re: Strange Resistor Color Coding & Apparent Value

Could be a fusible resistor. Either way, if it was bad, it's more likely to go high resistance rather than low.

Originally posted by stevekasian
    It's in an LCD monitor power board, coming off the -lead of the main filter cap, bridging to the Source pin of a Power MOSFET, if that helps at all.
    Yup, that's where you'd normally find this resistor. Reading sounds normal for that position.

Comment

According to the color code you have:
      0.1 ohm
      5% tolerance
      20ppm/K temperature coefficient

Machina improba! Vel mihi ede potum vel mihi redde nummos meos!

Comment

Thanks for the info. I've researched this for hours on Google and haven't seen a chart like this before. Would you be so kind as to provide a link to the page from whence this came for my review? I need to educate myself! :-).

Thanks so much!
        Steve

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistor_color_code
          The 5th band could also stand for "Quality" but typically you will only see that in military hardware. For Quality read the 5th band as the "% Failure rate per 1000 hour".
          Machina improba! Vel mihi ede potum vel mihi redde nummos meos!

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
            X