• Show
Clear All

p3 running HOT

heres the scoop

i have a compaq presario 7000, with a 866 p3 cuminine

it has a ati radeon 7500 agp card

delta 300w ps - a good one

board had no visibly failed caps- 6 rubycon 7 nova

graphics card and cpu hot, ps only hot near cpu (sides cool, bottom warm around the cpu)

i have a cables unlimited 80mm fan in the back, runs

it was sitting idle when it seemed to get hot

about 80 degrees f in my room, may be cooler...

would bad caps be a potential cuprit

also, i will recap the spare board i have soon, will that fix it?
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Re: p3 running HOT

oh, i will have pics soon

also, the hard drives (2 wds, one 160gb, one 320 gb) were REALLY hot
    sigpic

Comment

okay i have a picture (attached, sould someone tell me how to make them appear in the post itself)

also, i am running ubuntu 9.04 on it.

would a downgrade to nvidia riva tnt2 help any

my existing card has one of those sacons that look like polys on it, not failed
      Attached Files
      sigpic

Comment

How hot are we talking about? Have you used any software to check any of the temperatures?
        You can use HD Tune to check hard drive temperature and PCWizard, Sandra, and a few more to check CPU/motherboard temperature (if your motherboard has sensors of course).
        Also, does the video card have a fan? Are the PSU caps ok and do the caps near CPU get hot? What about the Sacons - are they getting hot too?

Comment

There is one version of 866 that is 29W. Which voltage one is yours? 1.65V to 1.75V?
          And confirm you are at correct voltage.

Intel released 5 types of 866, mostly 22W, one 26W and one 29W. All these three with this type of heatsink is barely enough. Look for a socket 462 athlon heatsink and install it. A good heatsink have copper base (preferred) and wide fin spacing. Not the stamped and glued fins onto a base.

Second, hard drives in that position is POOR for air flow. You will need to get good case and NOT flimsy!, this good cases that will mount the hard drives horizontal and have cooling holes in front of them and let case pressure draw air in.

Another option is strip down case and drill bunch of holes thru the bottom case where hard drives are sitting on in a matrix of small holes (say 1/8") and install thicker feet to keep air space under the case so air will flow and go through the hard drive and out via fans at back.

Other than that what you have done is good.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

mine is huge

it is this one

http://masscool.com/product_detail.php?pid=153&id=19

im not overclocking it so this one should be adequate

oh, no cpu temp sensor, it seemed to be running slow, i felt hot air coming out of the fan, and thats what i found, hot stuff

it usually doesnt get that hot...

edit: i removed the pre-applicated grease and regreased it myself, very small amt- maybe the size of a small zip tie head (4mm), 2mm high
            Last edited by ratdude747; 06-23-2009, 01:40 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

oh, it is set on the carpet floor of my room, desk has no spot for it

would removing a hd help? the 320 is not in use

and the pinouts for the front usb is really odd, i dont know what they are (i think they are the same as the FIC az31 because p. 7000=5000=az31) they are goofy and most cases wont fit it,

i cant change cases because of that and a new case is too expensive

and i dont want to mod it,
              Last edited by ratdude747; 06-23-2009, 01:45 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

oh, psu caps are all good, chemicon/nichicon (not hm/hn)

the card is too old to have a fan, it has a massive heatsink (saltine cracker size, 8mm thick)

i dont have a lot of money to fix this thing

i was asking whether failed caps could me in the mobo based on the symtoms
                sigpic

Comment

oh, and no caps hot to touch or leaking, only caps around cpu are rubycons
                  sigpic

Comment

and the oem case has vent holes in front of the hard drive spots and in the hard drive trays
                    sigpic

Comment

That heatsink still isn't very big.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835200017

That would keep your cpu pretty cool, probably a little overkill, but its either too small or this.

Also, the heatsink on the GPU is pretty small. A small fanless heatsink like that needs to be upgraded or have a fan put on it.

Comment

so my machine is trash then
                        sigpic

Comment

80 degrees = turn on the AC.

Comment

Are your machine sitting on carpet? that is why I wanted your machine sitting on a plank or stiff board and have 4 1" thick feet so intake can draw air in.

I mean the floor of your case. Does there is holes there where ends of the hard drive cages are? With type of hard drive cage, the air flow should go straight up through the cage around the hard drives. I could not see if you have holes in the floor.

80F is nothing, that's 26C, we see 22-26 during hottest days about a week or two every year here and my PC doesn't get that hot because I have good cooling plan in place. And I banned A/C here because only one breaker for my room and whole living room!) Improved the case by drilling holes where needed but not so ulgy. And sitting on a old magazine so air can flow under it. Cages are horizontal (different case design and most common but didn't have holes in the front panel so had to drill holes so hard drive can have breeze). Oh, noise is not loud, that is my goal to keep PC QUIET. E5200 btw.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

That CPU heatsink should be fine, even at 80F. Specs say it can handle an Athlon XP 2100+ which has ~65 watts TDP. Just make sure your fan is running good.

Again, how hot are we talking about here? Hot so that you can't touch the heatsink or just warm? Have you tried running HD Tune yet to see how hot your hard drives are getting? If not above 40C, you should be good (mine always run around 40C when it's ~80F in the house).

Also if you have a small fan around somewhere, add it to the video card heatsink like 370forlife said. Run it at either 5v or 7v if you want to keep noise down.

Comment

866mhz = time to go dumpster diving. It was 98F (36c) today, had to turn on the ac or my computer would shut down.

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife
                                  That heatsink still isn't very big.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835200017

That would keep your cpu pretty cool, probably a little overkill, but its either too small or this.

Also, the heatsink on the GPU is pretty small. A small fanless heatsink like that needs to be upgraded or have a fan put on it.
                                  rosewill=deer=bad
                                  sigpic

Comment

warm 2 touch.

all the dumpster here in lafayette have is pII (if ur lucky) and used trojans

i might upgrade to a 1ghz

and i mounted a fan on gpu- lost my only unused pci- then again i have video, sound, usb2.0, 10/100 lan, and tv tuner taling up 6 of the seven slots... if anything breaks, it will be repaceable or lethal
                                    sigpic

Comment

OK, several things.

Have you changed anything? Hardware? Software?

You said it was idle, did you check in the task manager to confirm that, or were you just not doing anything on it? Could be you have a parasite that's bumping up your CPU cycles, might be malicious, might not. Check task manager to confirm that your System Idle Process is using 90 plus percent of the CPU.

[EDIT : Ok ignore all that, you're ubuntu]

It's already been mentioned that the HDD placement is severely suboptimal, if you can't change that, then remove the extra drive, and the associated bracket, having them sit that close can lead to massive heat.

What is the orientation of the case fan? With the CPU fan in that orientation, I'd have it blowing in, but optimally, I'd reverse the CPU fan and have it drawing air up through the heatsink and pushing it to the case fan, which would then blow it out of the case, make sure your PSU fan is also exhausting.
                                      Last edited by Sportbilly; 06-23-2009, 08:52 PM. Reason: Missed a post LOL

Comment

93 outside, dead ac
                                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                        X