Questionable polymer on my Sharp LC-42SB48UT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questionable polymer on my Sharp LC-42SB48UT

I know this is maybe a fluke, because they don't have vents for expanding like the wet caps do, but I've a psb with a polymer that definitely looks like it's top is domed up a bit, on a tv that doesn't reach 5v standby. It goes up to 1.8. I'm wondering can I replace this polymer with a regular electrolytic, and if so, should the uf or voltage be a different amount? I would have included a pic, but I couldn't get the "bulge" to show up with my camera, sorry.

Re: Questionable polymer on my Sharp LC-42SB48UT

short answer Yes, same uf but with 10% more voltage than polymer.

either its hardly to say from the top look of polymer. as all had curve top . best way took out and check.

Comment

Try it and see...
      --Either work--Or not....

Poly caps dont tend to fail as regularly as std caps so would doubt thats the issue.
      TELEFIX

How PLASMA SCREENS WORK, X-SUS and Y-SUS what they do--
      http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1088.pdf
      PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME PRIVATELY FOR REPAIR ADVICE. QUESTIONS BELONG ON THE FORUM!

Comment

Is it more probable that the psb's filter cap might be going bad? I don't have an esr to test, but thought about replacing it after trying the polymer.

Comment

Originally posted by AcGeorgiegirl View Post
          Is it more probable that the psb's filter cap might be going bad? I don't have an esr to test, but thought about replacing it after trying the polymer.
          in general no, but some lost contacts on its bed. just re soldering or heating them will be back to life

Comment

Doubt it, more likely stdby reg is working in burst-mode for some unknown reason, maybe leaky diode on its o/p or short on that rail in m.b. or no f/b loop due to dodgy opto or the controller chip itself.
            TELEFIX

How PLASMA SCREENS WORK, X-SUS and Y-SUS what they do--
            http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1088.pdf
            PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME PRIVATELY FOR REPAIR ADVICE. QUESTIONS BELONG ON THE FORUM!

Comment

not 10%, you need the cap to be rated for atleast 150% of the voltage it will see.

a lot of people do stupid things with cap voltage ratings, you can get in big trouble if you dont know what is actually going to hit the pins.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                not 10%, you need the cap to be rated for atleast 150% of the voltage it will see.

a lot of people do stupid things with cap voltage ratings, you can get in big trouble if you dont know what is actually going to hit the pins.
                you miss understood, 10% more as actual voltage value, exp. 30 = 35 lol

Comment

Originally posted by Alastair E View Post
                  Doubt it, more likely stdby reg is working in burst-mode for some unknown reason, maybe leaky diode on its o/p or short on that rail in m.b. or no f/b loop due to dodgy opto or the controller chip itself.
                  Thanks, Alastair. Any chance of getting a bit of a workflow idea for testing/troubleshooting all those techie things you mentioned? I started trying to decipher what they mean, but I exhausted Google's abilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Diah View Post
                    you miss understood, 10% more as actual voltage value, exp. 30 = 35 lol
                    no, i understood and as an ex design-engineer i know that 10% is not enough overhead to deal with ripple for long.
                    you need 50% overhead or the cap will heat up.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                      no, i understood and as an ex design-engineer i know that 10% is not enough ....you need 50% overhead
                      well, the poly caps installed now days are all had 100% more as real current ,poly cap ex 12V line had 25 VC , do you really think how much more ..they will let them more life.. no.. they may fail to produce the real currents at once. 10% more mean as this example 12V line instead 25V cap enough whole life 35V cap.. sorry for any bad feeling you got.

Comment

35v on a 12v line is good, it will have a higher current capacity.

Comment

Originally posted by Alastair E View Post
                          Could you give me some explanation of your acronyms, possibly? I don't know what "o/p", "m.b", "f/b loop", and "opto" are referring to.

Comment

o/p = output
                            m.b. = main board
                            f/b loop = feedback loop
                            opto = opto-isolator, usually part of a feedback loop

Comment

Awesome, thanks! Very helpful.

Comment

Working...
                              X