using two monitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

using two monitors

My Hp PC has built in ATI Radeon HD 4200 video. There are two outputs. One is HDMI and the other is VGA. The monitor i came with is on the HDMI port. Can I run a second monitor on the VGA port. Also can I do different things on each monitor at the same time? Its a four core 2.9 ghz AMD with six gigs of ram.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
    Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
    John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
    Rod Serling

Re: using two monitors

Of course you can run both monitors. As for doing different things, it depends on the application. If you're running a big full screen app on one of the monitors (games, CAD, graphics software) it's likely to take the mouse for itself and not allow you to move it between both monitors. With windowed applications there are no issues.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Nothing works better than pluging it in and seeing what happens.
      "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
      Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
      John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
      Rod Serling

Comment

JP- the ATi 4200HD is slow and holds back your Win7 performance scores. I bit the bullet, uninstalled the ATi driver set and installed my nVidia 9500GT from my old Asus A8N-SLI setup. Has only 512MB GDDR3 but my graphics score is 6.7 (from 4.2). Dual DVI (VGA with included adapter) along with S-Vid and HDMI output.

I still have to locate the link cable that goes from mobo the the 9500 for audio through the HDMI cable. I plan to use that as my DVD player for the bedroom connected to a Samsung P2570HD (@1080!).
        Stupidity should be a crime, especially for drivers. I have NO patience for them.

Comment

wasn't it the ATO catalyst software that allowed you to configure the monitors??? Like mirroring or a big wide screen or even configuring a top/bottom setup????

I haven't run dual monitors for quite a while so I don't remember.
          "Its all about the boom....."

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled drinking.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death.....calm shepherds its certainty"

Originally posted by Topcat
          AWD is just training wheels for RWD.

Comment

Working...
          X