Samsung 2220wm Black - Identifying if Caps are bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung 2220wm Black - Identifying if Caps are bad

I've learned enough to identify that my capacitors are most likely bad for my two Samsung 2220wm monitors - which died about 30 days apart. The monitor's blue light comes on but, they are entirely black screens.

I took the attached photos of both boards (first two pics of first board) and truthfully I don't see these caps as being bulging but, I'm not sure what normal caps look like

Any help you could lend to identify the problem would be appreciated!
    Attached Files

Re: Samsung 2220wm Black - Identifying if Caps are bad

1) The first photo has 2 convex (bulging) caps. The tops are not flat. They are the 1000uF 10V green Samxon ones.

2) The third photo has 1 convex (bulging) cap.

3) The standard recommendation by most forum members here are to replace ALL the electrolytic capacitors on the power/inverter board with good brands like Panasonic, Nichicon, United Chemicon, and Rubycon.

4) See how to replace caps at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...4&postcount=19
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

In the first pic, the 2 small caps is obviously bulging.
      3rd pic it's only one of the 2 small ones.

Samxon GK and Lelon ..
      Samsung really went downhill

edit: oops.. thought those were all the same board.
      Last edited by Scenic; 12-04-2011, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your help guys. I see the bulging you pointed out now.

Can I ask - are the four green units the caps? I was wondering if I should replace the two large black units as well?

Also, I will read up on how to best replace these but, was wondering if there's the same danger as with televisions insofar as caps zapping me? Do I need to drain them first? (I understand this is a 'if you have to ask you shouldn't touch anything' question but, I always balked at that response

Thanks again. I'm really looking forward to getting these back in use!

Comment

Originally posted by bizwizkid View Post
          Thanks for your help guys. I see the bulging you pointed out now.

Can I ask - are the four green units the caps? I was wondering if I should replace the two large black units as well?

Also, I will read up on how to best replace these but, was wondering if there's the same danger as with televisions insofar as caps zapping me? Do I need to drain them first? (I understand this is a 'if you have to ask you shouldn't touch anything' question but, I always balked at that response

Thanks again. I'm really looking forward to getting these back in use!
          I'll emphasize what retiredcaps said. Replace ALL of the electrolytic caps (with the possible exception of the large (typically 100uF, 450 volt) one) with name brand low ESR caps (I prefer Panasonic FR or FM). These caps didn't fail because of some random event. They failed because they are of a very inferior quality. If you live in the USA you can recap both monitors for about $15 total - including shipping.

As far as a shock hazard, wait at least a minute after unplugging the power cord. The only cap that has a potential of hurting you is the largest one, and that will be discharged very quickly.

PlainBill
          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Great. Ordered the caps tonight and will update with success. Thanks guys.

Comment

Hello & Welcome Aboard,

I fixed a Samsung 2220WM earlier this year. Mine had more wrong than just changing the capacitors. Hopefully yours isn't as bad. I tried with no success to upload the service manual for this monitor. Its within the size limit. Maybe this site doesn't like it because I use Fox-It instead of Adobe? If interested PM me and I'll send to you in a email. Good luck with your repair!

Take Care,
              lcdman

Comment

Thanks for that manual. I shrunk a little and attached here.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by lcdman View Post
                  I tried with no success to upload the service manual for this monitor. Its within the size limit. Maybe this site doesn't like it because I use Fox-It instead of Adobe?
                  The attachment upload seems to have a bug that i PM'ed Topcat about a while ago.
                  It lists the filesize limit for PDF files as 9.54MB, but in reality, it's "only" 1.91MB, so any file bigger than that just throws up an error.

I ran into the same problem before.

Comment

Working...
                  X