No announcement yet.

Dead Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E520 (BIOS ?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dead Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E520 (BIOS ?)

Anybody can help with this issue?
    I'm a beginner, but I have measuring instrument(I have a scope too) and I can follow instructions. I repair TVs, home theater receivers and other devices as a hobby.
    I have replaced the BD9528, but there is no change.
    Ref is 2V though
    I'm in pretty much same situation as the op.
    At pin #14, at U2701 I have a constant 3.2V, no matter the state of the power on switch.
    First of all, what I need to have plugged into the mainboard? CPU, memory, BIOS battery and power switch? I don't have connected the little daughter board with the card adapter and a USB port, DVD drive, any of the touchpad, keyboard, speakers, LEDs, screen, HDD.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Tibor

Comment

This is a known defect on these. I -think- it may be the BIOS chip that needs replacing, but I don't know for sure. There may be other parts that get damaged by the failure of the chip in question.
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I know about the EEPROM issue, but from where can I get one?
        There are some basic measurements, that I can do, to see if everything is good hardware wise?
        I know a TV, always has a standby voltage, when it's plugged in. When the remote, or power button is depressed, the main board sends the command to the power supply, to turn on and also sends the signal to the backlight, to also turn on.
        On what principle, is working a laptop?

Comment

It somewhat differs from one manufacturer to other, but mainly the EC (U2701) needs to have 3.3V, it reads part of the bios(U6001) to get its program code and sets itself to working order. Then it waits for power button to be pressed.
          You have EC powered, does the powerbutton press translate to low level on pin 93 on U2701? If it is, then next i think that PM_PWRBTN# should be sent to PCH. If not, then either bios is bad or EC is not working. There are of course control signal (LID an AC status etc) which should be in correct states also.
          You do not need to change the bios, only reprogram it on most occasions. So you need to get programmer.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for trying to help.
            First of all, can I ask what has to be hooked up to the mobo?
            There is a express card/USB daughter card, which I have not hooked it up to the board, none of the touch pad/keyboard/LED, LCD, DVD.
            I have the mobo, one memory stick, BIOS battery and CPU.
            Battery, has to be hooked up?
            In this state, I'm getting at pin #93= 0.013V and when I push the power on button, it goes to 0V.
            What is EC?
            What I'm hearing is, that the EEPROM itself gets bad and needs replacing.
            I'm about to get a programmer(not just for this application), but I'm not sure which one to get.
            I need it for nand flashes also.
            I have noticed that the MCUMALL GQ-5X has a nand flash version coming soon and also a SPI version.
            I have never done anything like this and I don't know which device to get to start learning the programming.
            I need it for programming TV, laptop, monitor EEPROMS and a nand flash in Kenwood double dins(Toshiba TC58NVGxxxxx).
            On Ebay, they sell EEPROMS for this laptop, but it's $25. I would rather get a programmer and the chip and I would like to do it myself.
            I need all the help, that I can get. I'm way over my head here.
            I appreciate any help that I can get.

Comment

You need CPU, memory connected. USB daughtercards are not needed.
              EC = embedded controller, multicontroller, eg. microcontroller which controls the laptop power states, various inputs/outputs, the keyboard and PS2 mouse.
              You have 0V on power button, but EC has power? (pins 19,46, etc) meaning EC is not working correctly. Either it does not have correct program to work on (meaning bad BIOS), or it is defective.

Take measurements:
              1. Voltage on pin 19 of EC (3.3V)
              2. Voltage on pin 93 (according to your info 0.1V), is it correct?
              3. Voltage on pin 8 of U6001 (Bios VCC, 3.3V)
              4. If 3. present, then check pin 2,6 of U6001 for data traffic (square impulses of ~3V)
              first moments when power connected to mainboard, use your oscilloscope

About purchasing a programmer, it has been discussed here before i think. Q5X has the NAND version separate of the spi version. Get a separate spi programmer.

Comment

There is (constant)3V at the button.

Comment

That 3V should be also on pin 93 of EC. Search for R2703, is it correct value?
                  Resistance from pin 93 of EC to gnd? What about bios power and impulses?

Comment

here

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...Text=&_sacat=0

Comment

I know about that, but I rather buy a programmer(with this, I'm learning also) and after a couple EEPROMs, it pays for itself.

Comment

Today, I'm measuring again the button and pin #93, pin #14 and I'm not getting anything.That is weird.
                        Last edited by tibimakai; 03-22-2015, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Anybody has a service manual for this model E520? I'm still using the E420 and I'm not sure if it's the same.

Comment

I have replaced the BIOS chip and nothing happened(Ebay-biosdepot).
                            Any help would be appreciated.
                            I really need some help here.

Tibor

Comment

post a clear picture top and bottom of the mobo

Comment

Here is to late, but tomorrow I will do that.
                                I think, that I don't have 3.3V.

Comment

Here are the pictures.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Right upper side of the 1st pic is what, near the m-pcie connector?

Comment

There are some parts under the tape. I did not look there yet.

Comment

Any ideas, where should I start?

Comment

check the output of those voltages, usually on coils. post schematic.

Comment

Working...
                                          X