TV tuner for linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TV tuner for linux?

I just put a PC together for everyday use and Im running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64 bit OS. The PC is a Dell Inspiron 530, Pentium dual core with 4 gigs of Memory. Video card is a GeForce 6600 256MB. Iv been looking for a HDTV tuner that will work with Linux..

Sgnob.

Re: TV tuner for linux?

any hauppauge should work, though i have to ask, what kind of HDTV are you looking for? It may be very hard with ubuntu, i'd opt for a more mythtv-centric distro. if you are doing OTA, that is decently compatible with ubuntu. if you require any kind of IR control capability, you will need to switch to mythbuntu.

in general, i recommend switching to mythbuntu, its still ubuntu but has more drivers and stuff included. and get a hauppauge card.

Comment

don't get me wrong I love ubuntu, for servers. but I wouldn't use it for a desktop media center. I'd go with Win7 Home premium 64-bit

you could get an HD card with DXVA and 1080p support that works smothly for win7
      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply,, This system is a pretty simple one, We mostly use it for AVIs, Our TV is pretty old and only has a S video input. And I use my laptop and remote into it so a remote is not necessary. I want to be able to receive some local channels to be able to catch the news. I live in a area where there is no cable and analog is disappearing fast. and I plan on using something like TVtime or VLC. So far after a hour of google searching I think Hauppauge it looking good. I did come across this but its kinda priced high.

http://www.pchdtv.com/

Thanks again.
        Sgnob.

Comment

if you are only looking for local OTA, then hauppauge 1250s and stuff work well with mythbuntu.

check here: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Digital_Tuner_Cards

you won't need IR, just ATSC support. mythbuntu is nice for your purposes, don't bother with win7 for such a simple system.

if you do want something more advanced with cablecard or external tuners, then you will have to switch.

Comment

my experince has been that the ususal issue is the sound controller's line in not working, not the tuner itself... my happauge wintv-go (analog based off of a brooktree 878) works x64 with no issues... but the line in on my intel dp35dp is no good (i have to connect my speakers directly to the line-out on the tuner)

on a side note, I use tvtime, not mythtv (never figured out how to set it up right).
            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

but the line in on my intel dp35dp is no good (i have to connect my speakers directly to the line-out on the tuner)
              snd_hda_intel Database
              "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                will try... thanks in advance.

edit- i don't see my model... in fact, the thread never mentions my model... it is an an intel dp35dp mainboard.

I might have to experiment...

edit2- i think i found it. i need model=stack5 .
                Last edited by ratdude747; 05-31-2011, 10:26 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

BTW, I got the WiFi working on the old 855 laptop (iw2200 no less) and I'm gonna try installing Gnome on it, but first I want to get the absolute latest Intel GFX drivers...

One thing I noticed... I have mplayer-gecko installed to watch DivX in Firefox... On my Geforce KDE Installation on this desktop, double-clicking gives me fullscreen without problems... On the 855g laptop, it goes fullscreen but the video doesn't stretch, it kind of stays the same size... I'm wondering if this is a sign of what is to come...
                  "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

it didn't help... although the sound is seen on the sound setting's input tab's bar graph, the sound isn't sent to the speakers. the file is alsp a different name in fedora (dist-alsa), so for all i know, I edited the wrong file.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sgnob View Post
                      Iv been looking for a HDTV tuner that will work with Linux..
                      We have an HDHomeRun (the dual model). Works great for OTA. We don't have cable, so can't tell you how it would do there. Ours is the older one shown at the bottom of this:

http://www.silicondust.com/products/models/hdhr3-us/

I have no experience with the newer, smaller model.

Comment

Working...
                      X