Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PN50B400P3D 50" Samsung Plasma Won't Turn On.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PN50B400P3D 50" Samsung Plasma Won't Turn On.

Unplug Y-buffer, does -Vsc rise?
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

unplugged the Y-buffer & no change

I'm putting the red lead on the VSC point & the black lead to the chassis screw. The same as I did on the other test.

Comment

If that is the case, your (new) Y-main is bad.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Could the adjustment screw be turned all the way down? Could something else be bad & have fried the new Ymain when I put it in?

Comment

You can test your Y-buffer.
            The min -Vsc is not 0V (more like 60% of max), but you can try adjusting it anyway.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51SZsfH60EY

Comment

I pulled the Y-buffer & tested it according to that video. I dont have a sound option on my meter. I have it set on diode. I get a reading of .8-1.5 on most pins. Is that the correct setting I should use? What reading would indicate a fault?

Comment

I would try using ohm mode - internal diode bias of meter may give incorrect results. Also make sure you get probes around same way as I did in video.

Comment

Is the Y-sustain output a certain pin or connector or all 4 connectors? My Y-buffer board is LJ41-07018A

Comment

Usually it's the connector where all the pins are grouped. There are several lots, -Vsc(floating GND) and Vof(output), the output path is the main output from the Y-main and has the most pins due to the higher current. Typically you want to test from the output to each of buffer outputs. That being said I would not expect a bad buffer on these newer Samsungs to damage a Y-Main and I suspect the board you got was defective.

Comment

Ok, thanks. I'm going to borrow a different meter to check it, I don't quite trust mine for something like this.
                      I haven't bought any new boards before so I don't know how often you get a bad one but I would hate to put another one in & fry it as well if there's another problem.

Comment

What you can try if you get a new board is to test it without the Y-buffer connected. That being said, these Y-main boards can usually handle a shorted -Vsc without damaging themselves. They just go into protection mode.

Comment

Alright, Thanks. Just out of curiosity, I put the old Y-main back in disconnected from the X main & Y buffer. It read -190 VSC. I reconnected everything & it still read -190 VSC. Does this change anything or are the two Y-mains still bad but in different ways?

Comment

I put the new Y-main back in & tested off the "side" of the VSC test point instead of the center & it reads -188. It's supposed to be -193. Still no change in the picture.

Comment

That does change things, what happened for it to go from 0 to -190V? Can you try with buffer board installed?

Comment

I tested it with everything connected & it still read -188.

It it reads 0.00 with the lead like this

It read -188 with the lead like this

Comment

It must not get a good enough connection for some reason in the center, I cleaned it with alcohol but it didn't change. I assume the VSC was always -188, I just failed to get the reading.

Comment

OK. Different tact. If you look at the control board there should be an LED on it. The LED will either blink once a second or light for 5 seconds and dark for 2 seconds, what does it do?

Comment

It stays on for about 3 seconds then goes out. I only left the tv on about 20 seconds but it never came back on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZCNn...u812QMYbQkxRWQ

Comment

Well, it sounds like the control board is shutting down but not going into its fault state indicated by 5s on - 2s off. I don't know if these older Samsungs do that, for sure. But the LED should blink once a second if the system is working. I can suggest a control board replacement but I'm not confident it will fix it.

Comment

The buttons on the front (power, channel, volume, etc..) are non responsive. Are they related to the control board?
                                          Seems like it's either the control board or the power supply board at this point.
                                          I found a used control board for $13. I think I'll order it & if that doesn't fix it, try a PSB.

Comment

Working...
                                          X