What Does This Thing Do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Does This Thing Do?

I bought a pack of misc electronic things for $5. They said it was a student kit for some classes.. It came with various components and this circuit ... which I can't determine what it does or what it's used for. I tried finding a datasheet for the chip but the closest thing I can find indicates it is a quad op amp but when I work the op amp diagram into the schematic of this circuit it makes no sense.

Attached is the photo of the circuit as well as the schematic I drew up based on what info I could find.

Any ideas?

Attached Files

Re: What Does This Thing Do?

Well, it does appear to be an Exar quad op-amp. The "7711" date code means it was produced in the 11th week of 1977. From the datasheet, it looks like the performance of the op-amps would be similar to an LM324, but NOT the same pin-out.

I don't know whether this helps make the circuit make any better sense, but pin 1 of the IC is in the bottom left corner as the IC is seen in your picture, not the top left corner. I'm kind of wondering whether it's some sort of assembly or soldering test board rather than a meaningful circuit.
    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

I don't think it does anything. There are no distinct power input points. I'm confident that the IC is being identified correctly as a quad op amp. so the way the other parts are connected make no sense at all.
      It just looks like practice at building a useless circuit.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
        Well, it does appear to be an Exar quad op-amp. The "7711" date code means it was produced in the 11th week of 1977. From the datasheet, it looks like the performance of the op-amps would be similar to an LM324, but NOT the same pin-out.
        Good call on the pinout ... I changed the schematic given the proper pin placement ...

Attached Files

Comment

Perhaps it was someone's project, but it received an 'F' ... lol

Comment

it wont work properly .the resistors should be all same value ...
            it needs more parts to do anything .. maybe it ends up as a touch this bit and a light comes on .. or flashes .
            shit the pinouts changed after i posted .. vcc is not in a good place now
            Last edited by petehall347; 07-11-2017, 05:00 PM.

Comment

4136 ic ....

Comment

I forgot to include an image of the backside and some markings that I left out ... they might be relevant???

Attached Files

Comment

it's electrically bullshit.
                  infact i cant imagine any chip that could hook to transistors like that.

i suspect it's just some random crap made to teach stuffing and soldering.
                  and on that subject, i give the student an F.
                  infact it's so bad i'd tell them to get the F out and find another course.

Comment

Is that IC in a socket? Perhaps someone swapped the IC to confuse us all.

BTW, even if the pinout of that 4136 is the same as the LM324, I would not use the 4136 in a pinch. The characteristics look more like two LM1458's than LM324...
                    Last edited by eccerr0r; 07-11-2017, 08:33 PM.

Comment

I found a site, esssales.com. I believe they sell various kits from other companies. Maybe the ESS/IEU means ESS sold it, for a company that went by IEU? Maybe the PDC means Practice Development Circuit?

Even though I cannot find the circuit on their site, they do sell practice circuits, for soldering. Maybe if we had some sort of date, we could use he wayback machine and try to figure it out?
                      Last edited by Spork Schivago; 07-12-2017, 11:14 AM. Reason: Realized I was wrong, changed my post
                      -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                        Is that IC in a socket? Perhaps someone swapped the IC to confuse us all.
                        NO, it's soldered onto the board.

Comment

Originally posted by Spork Schivago View Post
                          I found a site, esssales.com. I believe they sell various kits from other companies. Maybe the ESS/IEU means ESS sold it, for a company that went by IEU? Maybe the PDC means Practice Development Circuit?

Even though I cannot find the circuit on their site, they do sell practice circuits, for soldering. Maybe if we had some sort of date, we could use the wayback machine and try to figure it out?
                          I could only guess ... sometime within the last 10 years.

Im just going to desolder the components and throw them in the pile.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                            it's electrically bullshit.
                            infact i cant imagine any chip that could hook to transistors like that.

i suspect it's just some random crap made to teach stuffing and soldering.
                            and on that subject, i give the student an F.
                            infact it's so bad i'd tell them to get the F out and find another course.

Comment

Working...
                            X