l635 after new chip replacement getting amdkmdag logs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

l635 after new chip replacement getting amdkmdag logs

I there , this machine was with the grafic chip dead , so we've replaced it with a brand new chip from our usual supplyer , we solder it and all was fine , client came back 2 weeks after , complaining she had a blue screen meaning something about AMD , and complaining she had a few red lines apearing on screen . when i turned on the machine i've noticed on the windows events ,a lot of logs about the amdkmdag , and also a few DISPLAY logs , meaning the controler had crashed but had recovered . tryed first , cleaning the video driver and installing a new one , but same issue , is happening . so tryed a clean install since this windows is a bit kinky , but even with new system and without grafic driver (AMD one) i had this red lines but small lines appearing like this size - - - - - - - -- -- - - - but not all screen only in few parts , i think it could be something wrong on the soldering process so reflowed it well , until meltdown , but he keept ok for one day without error logs . this morning was giving amd error logs and the lines appeared again .i will post a photo i found on google that is pretty similar to my problem !

my question is , i never had problems with does chips and supplyer , and sincerely i dont think it can be a chip problem , but maybe a Vram problems , what are your opinions about , and how can i chek wich is the faulty (vram/vrams)

cheers
    Attached Files
    Last edited by highpulse; 10-02-2014, 09:21 AM.

Re: l635 after new chip replacement getting amdkmdag logs

well nvram problems , a good tip for you guys , remove glues of nvrams if they have glue before reballing or replacing a chip .
    why ? well like pratically all compounds , except for a few ones , they usually expand when heat is applyed , making a no good contact exist between nvrams and board . removed all glue , cleaned all vrams and reballed all of them , and resolder all them , and until now , no problems , and no errors at all of ATI or red traces appearing . will carry on test until tomrow , but all seems was a nvram problem .

cheers

Comment

good to hear, how can we find if it's a ram problem or a gpu problem?

i suppose that ram problem only when using 3d application... and all poligon flickering...

Comment

VRAM problem manifests itself in all applications, including BIOS screen. GPU only in 3D mode.
        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

well there are some programs on hirensboot that will test nvrams , it will help you out .

but usually when its nvram problems , we notice this kind of issues like i showed in the picture above , or even strange caracters , but not always its nvrams , but after a chip replacement and if you have a good source for brand new chipset . then for sure problems must be on nvram

Comment

well i've received few amdkmdiag error logs on the windows events , but no lines on screen or whatsoever until now . will try the latest drive , to chek if it will remove this issues . will keep it posted for news

Comment

Working...
            X