Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Onkyo TX SV727: Found bad transistors, what else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Onkyo TX SV727: Found bad transistors, what else?

Does the amplifier stay on? You forgot to say what the offset voltage is. Does the heatsink get hot quickly?

Comment

The unit stays on, just in protect mode, no matter whats hooked up to it. No heat on transistors or heatsink. Will measure voltage on the emitter resistors tonight.

Comment

Hi guys one question, when you are using your amp is normal to have DC and AC voltages on the speaker terminals (10vdc and 18vac respectively if I remember correctly at 60/70% of capacity)
        Last edited by Drack; 04-02-2017, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Drack View Post
          Hi guys one question, when you are using your amp is normal to have DC and AC voltages on the speaker terminals (10vdc and 18vac respectively if I remember correctly at 60/70% of capacity)
          A fluctuating AC voltage would be normal if it is only the output audio signal that is being measured. A DC reading like that would not be normal and is capable of causing distortion and damaging speakers.
          I'm possibly misunderstanding your message.

Comment

10 vdc is serious clipping ..dont ever go there unless you are a pyromaniac with a strange sense of humour .

Comment

That's while playing some songs, there is almost no distortion at all, is a Technics su500, and it's working perfectly just wanted to know if that was normal

Comment

I doubt that you actually have 10 VDC on the speaker Voice coil.
                Must be measurement error, how did you set the meter to AC, DC at what scale, V, mV, etc.
                Ni way you can have 10 and still working, that much DC the speaker cone will either be all the way in or all the way out. Is the test done without signal applied?
                When the DATA is wrong you know something is not done right.
                Last edited by budm; 04-02-2017, 10:16 PM.
                Never stop learning
                Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Ok guys.
                  Took her to work where the guys here have good Fluke meters.

We got a problem!

So i measured all the resistor legs with respect to ground. Starting from the front of the stereo, to the back.

R1->GND = 0.016v
                  R2->GND = 0.01v (center leg)
                  R3->GND = 0.003v

Now where i did my repair:

R4-> GND = 49.01V (uh oh!)
                  R5->GND = 49.03V (center leg)
                  R6->GND = 49V

R7->GND = 0.008v
                  R8->GND = 0.02V
                  R9->GND = -0.005v

R10->GND = 0.008v
                  R11->GND = 0.003v
                  R12->GND = -0.003v

Comment

Budm i said it was while playing a song, and I checked again and had the same results, but everything is working fine so I now used my dad's DMM and the maximum DC while no signal applied on 200mv range was 7mv and while playing a song at low volume was 20mv.
                    So now I have good and bad news, my amp is ok(good) but my meter is not and it has a new battery so it's not that.
                    Sorry op for using your thread for my question
                    Last edited by Drack; 04-03-2017, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeppelin1007 View Post
                      Ok guys.
                      Took her to work where the guys here have good Fluke meters.

We got a problem!

So i measured all the resistor legs with respect to ground. Starting from the front of the stereo, to the back.

R1->GND = 0.016v
                      R2->GND = 0.01v (center leg)
                      R3->GND = 0.003v

Now where i did my repair:

R4-> GND = 49.01V (uh oh!)
                      R5->GND = 49.03V (center leg)
                      R6->GND = 49V

R7->GND = 0.008v
                      R8->GND = 0.02V
                      R9->GND = -0.005v

R10->GND = 0.008v
                      R11->GND = 0.003v
                      R12->GND = -0.003v
                      If the symptom was intermittent, there should be no permanent damage. There could be a broken track somewhere between the Base of the PNP output transistor and the Voltage Amplifier stage.
                      Also check for C to E short on the NPN output transistor.

Comment

I'll do some digging and probing. I recall doing a continuity test right after this happened on all the big transistors and none showed shorts. I know the 2 i replaced arent shorted...first thing i checked lol.
                        I have the 2SD transistor on the left, and the 2SB15560 on the right. Any chance i switched em?

I'm printing off the schematics tomorrow at work. Preferably on the plotter for ease of reading.

If i screwed up a track/caused a short id guess itd be by where my soldering was. I'm just still puzzled why this was "working" until i hooked my meter to the outputs. Unless my junk meter showed up as a short?

Comment

Well i screwed up royally. Not even sure how!!
                          I checked all my transistors. No shorts. Checked my new resistor, it was making continuity.

The one thing i did do was clean up the crud and grime around my solder joints.

Apparently. I screwed something up doing that because when i powered it on: POP!

Fuse is gone. Also, more troubling, i dont have standby it seems! Before when the transistors were shorted itd blow the fuse, but id still have standby.

Even worse, both of my replaced transistors are now shorted. Different pins it seems this time.

So i guess im back to step 1. Remove the shorted transistors and replace with 1k resistors to see if she turns on.

Im half tempted to take it to a repair place, but now it's personal!

Comment

Considering that there was no load on the output, the only other cause for what happened is a fault in the idle current setting circuit. Likely a cracked track or a poor solder joint.
                            Even faults that cause large DC offsets will not necessarily blow the output stage unless the output is purposely shorted to ground.
                            Last edited by rievax_60; 04-04-2017, 11:27 PM. Reason: more

Comment

Reivax so i understand better, the 2 transistors i replaced, is that the output stage? I thought it was the 2 bigger transistors next to it

Comment

Earlier you said, "The old 2SB1558 and 2SD2387? yes. Both showed shorts from B to E in both directions both in and out of circuit." Are these the transistors that have just failed again? These are large transistors. Im not certain what the 2 biggers ones are. I have not seen them.
                                "Output Stage" usually refers to the large transistors and other components in the final stage of the amplifier that outputs the amplified signal to the speakers.

Comment

Yes these are the same 2 that shorted.

Ok, yeah i was referring to the "bigger" ones as the "last" ones before the output stage.

When i plug it in now even with the blown fuse i hear a relay click on, which i dont remember getting before...

Comment

Working...
                                  X