I think I got hacked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I got hacked

Today I got up and found a couple things from the mailer daemon for returned mail. At first I didn't think anything of it, but looking in my "Sent" folder, someone has sent a couple messages to the admin of this site, and to a seller I've used on Ebay. Both were sent around 10:30 am when I was still sleeping. The email contained links for a canadian drug supplier.

I've retained my AOL email for over 15 years since I stopped using the service, and I've never had this problem. What gives?

Re: I think I got hacked

You have something nasty on your PC, unless you're using AOL via webmail...

Comment

Originally posted by seanc
      You have something nasty on your PC, unless you're using AOL via webmail...
      I'm scanning my system for malware again, but I'm not sure it's on my end. I use AOL mail through the web browser or Firebird, not through their program.

Comment

What are you using to scan for malware? Also, you mean Thunderbird don't you, Firebird is a database server...

How do you connect to AOL in Thunderbird? POP or IMAP? Have you changed your AOL passwords yet?

Comment

I guess the spam traps got whatever you sent to me, I didn't receive anything spammish from you.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat
            I guess the spam traps got whatever you sent to me, I didn't receive anything spammish from you.
            That's good to know. I changed my email password, so hopefully this won't happen anymore.

I've had my email forged before, even got spam from my own address, but I don't think it ever appeared in my Sent box before. That's why I'm a bit worried.

I've been scanning with MalwareBytes, and so far nothing has been found.

I also use a rather robust Linux based firewall (ClearOS) so I doubt anyone got in through that.

Comment

Hmm, perhaps your passwords was compromised then.

I'm running Smoothwall 3 (been running Smoothwall for years), I'll have a look at ClearOS, never heard of it.

Comment

never heard of that one! what i seen before is there is app (aka virus, malware whatever) that takes account info from email clients and spams out that way. which means you wouldnt see that in your sent items! that sounds spooky, maybe you allowed a remote connection without even knowing and they installed app that allows them access when ever they want (like when your sleeping) behind your firewall. but since its webmail it could be compromised password too.

i like ipcop, although it has been a while since i have taken a look at what else is out there and whats been changed, never heard of clear os so i think ill have a look.

\

Comment

your password was compromised.
                  either you typed it into a fake login,it was weak and dictionary attacked,or malware on the box collected it.

Comment

using WEP on your wireless?
                    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

I'm a dummy on this type of attack but I to have had a similar problem of late. My PC became slugish online and the search engines I use kept telling me that I looked like a virus and that my PC was making a huge amount of requests online. I was only making a single request like say "SnapOn Tools SAE box end set". I use the Malwarebytes too and it couldn't detect anything wrong on my system at the time. Now I do run this thing pretty much nude. The windose firewall is on. I have AddAware SE running in the background, and I manually use Malwarebytes when ever I come off line. I just couldn't find the problem so I gave up and deleted the partition and did the format c stuff. After a clean install of Xp Home the issue is gone for now. I'm thinking that this issue I was having came from a Government Contractor that my friend works for. She emails me daily and some of their network has just been hacked by persons unknown. Thank God they don't do anything "dangerous" there. I have a LapTop here that is still infected if anyone wants to take a wack at finding the worm. This one has Xp Home and Linux Mint on it. The mint still works fine but the windoze is sick. Doing the big format may not be a good option for you since it sounds like you have some important stuff on that PC. I wish you luck. What ever mine had is not hidding in system restore ether. Well maybe it could be but like I said, I never found the bastard...
                      "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                      Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                      John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                      Rod Serling

Comment

try asquared free and super antispyware.
                        and avast for antivirus.
                        worst case image the windows partition and send it to me.it would be good to figure out what the nasty is.
                        Originally posted by Junk Parts
                        I'm a dummy on this type of attack but I to have had a similar problem of late. My PC became slugish online and the search engines I use kept telling me that I looked like a virus and that my PC was making a huge amount of requests online. I was only making a single request like say "SnapOn Tools SAE box end set". I use the Malwarebytes too and it couldn't detect anything wrong on my system at the time. Now I do run this thing pretty much nude. The windose firewall is on. I have AddAware SE running in the background, and I manually use Malwarebytes when ever I come off line. I just couldn't find the problem so I gave up and deleted the partition and did the format c stuff. After a clean install of Xp Home the issue is gone for now. I'm thinking that this issue I was having came from a Government Contractor that my friend works for. She emails me daily and some of their network has just been hacked by persons unknown. Thank God they don't do anything "dangerous" there. I have a LapTop here that is still infected if anyone wants to take a wack at finding the worm. This one has Xp Home and Linux Mint on it. The mint still works fine but the windoze is sick. Doing the big format may not be a good option for you since it sounds like you have some important stuff on that PC. I wish you luck. What ever mine had is not hidding in system restore ether. Well maybe it could be but like I said, I never found the bastard...

Comment

I don't know how to do that Kc8adu... Would the my remote desktop allow you to poke around in my lappy??? At the place the woman works they just trashed all the hard drives and start clean again. I guess you can do it that way when you are spending the Governments money....
                          Last edited by Junk Parts; 03-30-2010, 07:16 AM. Reason: add
                          "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                          Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                          John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                          Rod Serling

Comment

The government agency most likely have a system to image their systems in minutes, much like I implemented at work.

Check your registry for a start:
                            HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS NT\CURRENTVERSION\WINLOGON - In the Userinit field, you should only have "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe," specified.

Comment

I fired up the lappy today and updated the Malwarebytes to the latest version and then updated the data base of same. When I ran the scan it found three new things so I let it kill them. This seems to have fixed it. The search engines are nolonger telling me that I look like a virus. The PC has also gotten its normal online speed back. I also installed the Avast free antivirus and updated same. The Avast found nothing on its scan. I guess that the thing must be fixed now.
                              Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

actually, most u.k. agency's dont even know the time of day - they have service contracts with assholes that are tied to politicians.

be interesting to run that machine through a router-box running WireShark.
                                i wouldnt be surprised itf it was talking to an i.p. address owned by the u.s. or israeli government or a contractor tied to one of them.

Comment

Junk Parts, in case you don't spot it: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...61&postcount=7

Comment

Working...
                                  X