Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Viewsonic N3260W 32" LCD TV - Dark picture & flickering

Hi Guys,

I have been given a Viewsonic N3260W 32 inch LCD tv which powers up ok but it has the following picture fault;

1. The screen comes on but it is dark; left half is darker than the right half - which is still below 'normal' brightness.

2. The whole screen flickers - it seems like the backlight is flickering quite quickly - the best way to describe it is like a flourescent tube light which is on its way out or having trouble igniting.

Please view the video below to see the issue;
    http://youtu.be/kv3T3_iXV7Y

Your ideas and suggestions welcome.

I can post more pictures/do tests this weekend.

Thank for reading.

Re: Viewsonic N3260W 32" LCD TV - Dark picture & flickering

Before the problem occurred, would it go away after warming up or running for some time, or only occur after running for some time?

To me, it looks like the 24V from the power supply is low. Common causes of this are bad PFC capacitor or non functioning PFC, but bad 24V or inverter capacitors can cause this too.

A good start is taking the set apart and posting pictures.

Do you own a digital multimeter (DMM)?
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

HI Tom,

Thank you for your reply.

I was given this set and don't know the history.

I do have a multimeter and am able to disassemble and post pics.

What would you like to see and what should I measure?

Thanks.

Comment

One picture of the whole chassis, and one of each easily accessible board will do for now. Then I can highlight testing points.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Aha! Under the PSU heatspreaders were hiding some bulging and 'rising above the sleeve' caps!!!

Pictures attached;
          1. Chassis
          2. PSU
          3. Cap closeup
          4. Logic board
          5. LCD chassis
          6. Inverter
          7. Inverter & Panel part numbers.

The full size pictures available here;
          http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/...psd0a5ff31.jpg
          http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/...psc5fd5f9d.jpg
          http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/...pscc8b060d.jpg
          http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4d18737b.jpg
          http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/...psf18283b6.jpg
          http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4429b03d.jpg
          Attached Files

Comment

Bingo. Bad caps. Replace ALL the secondary caps, in my opinion.
            While you are at it, test the voltage across that large, blue 450V capacitor. Expecting around 380 to 410V DC.

Comment

Oh yeah. You have bulged caps, and caps that have seen a lot of heat. Like Tom66 said, replace all the secondary caps, even if they aren't bulged. (the big filter cap should be okay)

Comment

Ok. When you say 'secondary caps' - do you mean all 7 big ones in the close up pic or ALL CAPS in the top part of the PSU?

The big blue cap;
                On standby: 343.1v
                Powered on: 389.6v

I'll update once caps are replaced.

Thanks.

Comment

You live in a country with 240V mains?
                  The blue cap is fine.
                  Secondary caps are the ones to the left of the three yellow transformers, such as those two bulged ones. I would recommend replacing at least all of the CAPXON branded ones, as they are probably the worst capacitors ever made.

Comment

For a quick visual reference on where to start, see the attached pic.

Replace all the capacitors in the area I circled.

You may also want to replace the small capacitors just above the circle.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mrx3750 View Post
                      For a quick visual reference on where to start, see the attached pic.

Replace all the capacitors in the area I circled.

You may also want to replace the small capacitors just above the circle.
                      Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                      You live in a country with 240V mains?
                      The blue cap is fine.
                      Secondary caps are the ones to the left of the three yellow transformers, such as those two bulged ones. I would recommend replacing at least all of the CAPXON branded ones, as they are probably the worst capacitors ever made.
                      Sorry for the delay in responding - for some reason I had thought I posted an update but I was wrong

Thank you both for your replies and advice.

Yes I am in the UK and we did have 240v mains but at some point the UK Government agreed to harmonization at 230V although 240v sounds more impressive

I replaced all the capacitors to the left of the three transformers - the circled ones and ones above...and the tv seems absolutely fine now!!

Mother has been using it since December and I think I've even managed to move her over to widescreen 16:9 format

Thanks for your help.

Mark.

Comment

As a note, the UK mains voltage is unchanged from 240V. Would be rather expensive to swap over thousands of transformers. But the definition moved from 240V(-10/+5%) to 230V±10% (or something close to that.) All to bring the paperwork into line with EU standards, whilst actually changing nothing -- aren't standards bodies wonderful...

Enjoy the TV.

Comment

Working...
                        X