Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oscilloscope: Which one should I choose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oscilloscope: Which one should I choose?

I have been wanting to get an oscilloscope for a long time but I have now come to the point where I need one. Since money is an object I do not want to spend any more of than necessary but I want to get something that I can depend on when I need it.

At first I was looking at old used Teks on Ebay but I have enough stuff to repair as it is so I decided my best bet would be to get a new one with a warranty.

I have narrowed my choices down to two models although I am still open to suggestions. My initial choice was the Rigol DS1102E for $399. I am now leaning toward the Owon SDS7102 at $429. I am leaning toward the Owon for several reasons: Screen size and resolution, memory depth, and the fact it can operate on battery power. I know this model had problems in the past but it is my understanding that most of these issues have been resolved since its' introduction.

Before I go spending this kind of money on a piece of equipment, I wanted to get some input on what I should buy.

Thanks.

Re: Oscilloscope: Which one should I choose?

The DS1102E is near to it end of life as model & the Owon is equally outdated and with poor reputation.
    If your budget can not pass the 500$ mark, then close your eyes and get what ever has the lesser shipping cost to your end.

Comment

I haven't developed an opinion on either/or, but I've seen both the Rigol and Owon reviews and at first didn't like the Owon much.

For Rigol, end of life doesn't mean anything because there will still be repair support even if not at Rigol locations. End of life just means no longer supported by the manufacturer.

If you get one from Saelig, both the Rigol and Owon have free shipping, free carry case, and 5% educational discount. Carries a 3-year warranty, too.

But, having also seen the Rigol review, I can see why you'd go for the Owon instead. So I'd go for the Owon, mostly because of the higher sampling rate and battery operation. The Owon review showed a blank space where the Ethernet port option would be, but at Saelig, that is included at no additional cost, along with the USB and VGA ports.

Comment

Thanks for responding.

Saelig was the site where I was looking to buy from if I get one of these two models. At first I did not like the Owon either from the reviews but then I realized they were from a few years ago and some of the newer ones talk about them being much improved. I also read that the newer SDS7102's are actually good for up to 150 to 200Mhz even if they are only rated for 100Mhz. I am not sure how true that is but it would be a great bonus if it is true. I think the bigger, better screen is one of the big selling points for me. I was not planning on spending more than $400 and that is really pushing it for me, but since it is only $30 more I am not going to let that be a deal breaker. If I get this one, I will just have to get a battery later when the wife is not looking as she thinks this "toy" is too expensive as it is.

I think if I went for the Rigol I would just get the DS1052E and mod it into a 100Mhz model. Saelig, however no longer carries the DS1052E and moding it would cause me problems if I needed warranty work done.

It is my understanding that at this price point any choice is a compromises but from my point of view it will be better than nothing and it should do all I need for a few years while I figure out how to use it properly.

Comment

Generally, it depends what application you want to use it for.
          Notably, I found that many of the Chinese brand units have FFT as standard.
          Rigol and Owon (as mentioned earlier) are on my list of respectable Chinese brands.
          My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Well, look at it this way: back in my day, scopes (Tek scopes) cost thousands if not tens of thousands. This one is cheap.

Comment

Even if Saelig is an respectable retailer which we do communicate from time to time due Tweeter, the latest Owon scopes comes with significant signs of imperfection.

My view on the subject will be to move on the 1000$ price tag of the true modern scopes like the GDS-2000A.
              If you insist to get today an low badged and outdated scope, you will not even get some money back if you try to resale it after two years, so to get a better one.

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgea...seen#msg230797

Comment

Originally posted by MDOC View Post
                Well, look at it this way: back in my day, scopes (Tek scopes) cost thousands if not tens of thousands. This one is cheap.
                I think new Tek scopes are still priced in this range which is why I cannot consider getting one. I was looking at old ones on Ebay before I decided I would rather have a new DSO if I could find a decent one cheap enough.

Originally posted by Kiriakos GR View Post
                Even if Saelig is an respectable retailer which we do communicate from time to time due Tweeter, the latest Owon scopes comes with significant signs of imperfection.

My view on the subject will be to move on the 1000$ price tag of the true modern scopes like the GDS-2000A.
                If you insist to get today an low badged and outdated scope, you will not even get some money back if you try to resale it after two years, so to get a better one.

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgea...seen#msg230797
                If I was willing to spend $1000+ dollars on a a scope my list of choices would have reflected scopes in that price range. However if you are willing to donate $600+ dollars toward me getting a scope that will meet your approval I will definitely put it to good use.

I had been reading a lot of the threads on EEVblog forum about the Owon including the one you linked. However I had not seen the recent post from yesterday morning from a guy that bought an Owon from Saelig last week. I had thought the ground noise issue had been fixed but it is apparently still a problem. So instead of buying the Owon today like I had been thinking of doing, I emailed Saelig about the ground noise problem with a link to the thread you posted. I am curious as to their response, if they do actually respond. Their response or lack thereof will determine if I back up and reevaluate my options in both product and/or retailer.

Comment

When you are a millionaire industrial electrician like me, naturally the cost is not an issue.

But I will say that me and some thousands others we did pass from the roads that you are right now, and our final selection was made by the stronger argument of all times.
                  Which is : Fresh , Fast , Reliable , Affordable, Lots of active warranty time.

I will totally agree with you, that you can not buy that with 400$, but nothing stopping you, from setting a target today, and start savings so to get a nice scope that you will grow with it.

From the other hand nothing stopping you from getting a used DS1102E on eBay, with some luck you will hit a bargain for much less than 400$.

As you can see I have use an DS1102E, it is good for educational purposes,
                  but when it comes to repairs and troubleshooting it does not deliver the power so to see on the screen the unknown with it.

It is a very different concept to expect to see and measure a given waveform at a specific test point when the repair manual informs you about it.
                  And a totally different one to actually use the scope so to evaluate the quality and the form of the waveform, plus fast glitches and measurements that their accuracy are acceptable in the range of DSO scopes.

FYI the latest GDS-2000A and RIGOL DS2000 they called as third generation of DSO and they did pop-up in the market just few months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by LDSisHere View Post
                    Before I go spending this kind of money on a piece of equipment, I wanted to get some input on what I should buy.
                    Any scopes at the local pawn shop?
                    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                      Any scopes at the local pawn shop?
                      No, I have never seen one at a pawn shop. I have only seen a handful on Craigslist in the past year and they were either way over priced and/or look to be from the 40's or 50's. They seem to be scarce in my part of the country. Most people I know have never even heard of one and will look at you like an alien form outer space if you mention buying one.

I have not seen many Flukes at the pawn shops lately either and if I do they are not there for very long.

Comment

Originally posted by LDSisHere View Post
                        Most people I know have never even heard of one and will look at you like an alien form outer space if you mention buying one.
                        Do you have a local hamfest or electronics club? Some of the members are likely to have a scope which might be for sale?
                        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                          Do you have a local hamfest or electronics club? Some of the members are likely to have a scope which might be for sale?
                          I do not know of anything like this in my area, not saying there isn't one.

I did hear back from Saleig and I was impressed with the depth and effort they put into the response. I sent a follow up question but I have not gotten a response on that one. I am ready to go for the Owon, but I want to make sure it is capable of at least doing the following:

1. Check and adjust the waveforms on plasma TV sets
                          2. Check waveforms of the clock and data output of a parallel port driven C2 (no not I2C) programmer
                          3. Check the output ripple of ATX power supplies which is supposed to be less than 50mV 10 - 20 Mhz on most rails.

I think it should be capable of all the above with no problems but I want to make sure before I spend my money.

Comment

@LDS I think that you are a bit lucky, this video is very fresh and talks about the needs of modern PSU in the regard of measurements by an Oscilloscope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6WTqGUo1xU

Forget the fact that is 60% technical video + 40% advertising, and focus your attention in the details regarding measurements.

By the way regarding dedicated software on the scopes about measurements on pulsing PSU's are always an extra option at the expensive scopes.
                            For Example GW Instek has such a software package for their GDS-3000 scopes, but they do not look to offer it for the GDS-2000A.

At about the 90% of the above video comes in the game the information that just the scope probes are not enough for such measurements, and an additional amount of 400-600$ for an active & isolated (AC phase /mains) voltage probe is a must have.

Bottom line other than the cost of ownership for a scope, there is a need for additional gear about it as probes, which comes close to 1000$.

Additional tips about Switching Mode PSU, by GW Instek you can find here.
                            http://www.ittsb.eu/forum/index.php?topic=426.0

Comment

Well I went ahead and bought the Owon SDS7102 yesterday, it is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Salieg really impressed me with their responses, you do not find that kind of service very often these days.

Kiriankos, I have not had a chance to watch the videos you linked but I intend to do so soon.

Comment

Every new scope will open the door to you so to explore a new world. :-)
                                Congrats for getting one!

Tip of the day: Invest couple months so to learn how to use it.
                                This is what I do too. ;-)

Comment

Working...
                                X