Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Samsung P2770hd strange backlight issue (stumped)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung P2770hd strange backlight issue (stumped)

Good day folks. I've got this Samsung p2770hd with a strange backlight problem. The chap brought it in saying that it would only stay on for a few seconds then go dark again. I immediately knew what was going on and went straight to the backlight portion. When faced with faulty backlights, the first thing I usually do is bypass the protection of the driver IC (a SEM2005 in this case) by shorting the appropriate pin to ground (in this case pin 1). This is where the confusion began: normally, any display I've worked on would turn on and stay on without any complaints after bypassing its protection (even if something started getting hotter than it should), but this one no longer came on AT ALL after pulling pin 1 to ground (not even briefly like it did without the strap to ground). I read somewhere that I should try using a diode instead of a wire to make my jumper to ground - funnily enough it worked ! The monitor came on and stayed on ! Call me a dumbass, but I can't figure out why the diode managed to bypass the protection, while a small value resistor (2.2ohm) and even a dead short didn't !
    The main issue however is this: after letting the display run for a few seconds, I noticed the HV transformer got way hotter on one side than on the other and also the display was dimmer at the top, so there was definitely something wrong going on. To rule out the possibility of a bad lamp, I tried another display and same thing happened, which confirmed (so I thought) it's the HV transformer to blame, and sure enough by measuring its secondary side, one set of contacts read 1. something kOhms, while the other read 4 kOhms (the latter being the defective winding, by comparison with a "good" transformer). Now it gets better: it just so happened that ANOTHER one of these exact same TVs had just come in with a faulty power connector, but otherwise fully functional, so I decided to pull the transformer off of that one and replace it on my faulting board - HUGE MISTAKE ! I did so and guess what: it still doesn't work ! When I plug the supply in (with no main board and ON pin connected to 5v via small resistor), the area around the transformer makes a slight pop, the backlight glows VERY briefly and then the whole thing shuts down...I thought "ok, maybe there's something else wrong on this board, let's revert to the original setup so I can try the whole supply on this display", so I moved the transformer back onto the "donnor" board where it came from and it got "even better": now the original TV would no longer turn on either ! At first I thought it was a friggin' joke: I now have two busted TVs to worry about, which is all the more annoying considering that the first one worked perfectly fine ! What the heck happened here ? Are those transformers so low quality that they can't withstand 2 rounds of soldering ? The resistance of the two secondary windings is identical and hasn't changed all along (1.x kOhms) ! :| I can't possibly blame it on anything else other than the transformer, since it was the only thing I removed ! Measuring the resistors and blue ballast capacitors on the HV side with my multimeter shows virtually identical readings on the ohm scale (I know that's not the proper way of testing capacitors and other such components, but please bare with me as I don't have very fancy gadgets on hand yet). I bought a new transformer which I shall try tomorrow, but it's not the exact same thing and doesn't even fit in the same holes properly, but the guy told me it's a direct replacement and it SHOULD work (which is kinda backed up by the fact that its windings indeed have that 1.x kOhms like the original). What do you guys think ? It's a mystery that I cannot solve ! Same board, same transformer, same panel (even tried 3 of those), but it still doesn't work !
    Attached Files
    Wattevah...

Re: Samsung P2770hd strange backlight issue (stumped)

Also, if I connect just TWO of the lamps (not all 4), to either pair of connectors, the backlight turns on and stays on until the protection kicks in after a few seconds due to the missing lamps on the other pair....might wanna know :|
    Wattevah...

Comment

start by fixing all the cracked solder joints.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
        start by fixing all the cracked solder joints.
        I believe I already did that upon soldering the transformer back. If you're talking about the jacks (or whatever they're called) where the lamps plug in, then yes, I might check those indeed. Still, it doesn't explain how it worked the first time around...
        Wattevah...

Comment

Re: Samsung P2770hd strange backlight issue (SOLVED)

Ok guys, guess what the big mystery was...seriously, I want you to take a guess why the backlight wouldn't turn on :| It's all because of that stupid A-DIM pin...it doesn't turn on when it's left floating. I was at my wits' end, so in the spur of the moment I connected the power supply to the main board and the backlight came on. I've never encountered a SECOND pin that needs to be connected to something to power on the inverter (the other being the ON pin which I did connect to 5v). What does A-DIM do anyway ? ALL DIM maybe ? That would explain why it wouldn't run without it...maybe I should've studied the schematic a bit more carefully to see where it goes and what it does. So anyway, the mystery is solved: if you're testing this TV, or at least this power board, and the backlight doesn't seem to want to turn on despite everything else being perfect, then it's because of that A-DIM pin...probably need to go to 5v as well !
          Wattevah...

Comment

Hello, I have the same problem in this lcd. backlight turn on for a second then turned off.I have tried another pair of lamps from another lcd but its doing the same thing.Change all the caps but no result.Driver Ic the SEM2105 and not the SEM2005.
            What can I do? Should I order a new transformer? Cannot find the ON and the A-DIM pin you said....
            vgruk pharmacy

Comment

Originally posted by GEORGIO1980 View Post
              Hello, I have the same problem in this lcd. backlight turn on for a second then turned off.I have tried another pair of lamps from another lcd but its doing the same thing.Change all the caps but no result.Driver Ic the SEM2105 and not the SEM2005.
              What can I do? Should I order a new transformer? Cannot find the ON and the A-DIM pin you said....
              The PS_ON (or something like that) and A_DIM pins should be located on the connector going off to the main board. Those lamps you tried: are they known to work or you just took a guess ? If they're fine, then it's probably the transformer.

To save yourself some trouble (and to avoid possibly frying something else), I recommend running the tests with the mainboard attached and let it do its thing and not by jumpering pins like I did...as you can, I thought I killed the PSU, when in reality it was working fine the entire time, it's just that it needed another signal from the main board to fire up. It's been a year since I wrote this (damn, the nostalgia - it hurts ! ), but looking back at it now, it still puts a grin on my face thinking back on how beet red and sweaty I was when I thought I broke the good TV too
              Wattevah...

Comment

Thanks for your answer.The lamps I tried was pulled off from a working monitor but they are a bit smaller than the original. The only test I am thinking to do is to bypass the protection to see if it will work.I have found a transformer to buy but I am not sure this is the fault and I dont want to waist my money.In the other hand I have not any other option, so I am stuck.Tomorrow I will check the lamps again one by one with an external inverter to be sure that they are ok.
                vgruk pharmacy

Comment

maybe test the transformer windings
                  primary resistance of inverter transformer TM-09180 around 0.8ohms two secondaries both 1100Ohms

Comment

Yes I will do that thanks for reminding. My transformer is the TM-09210 , should have the same resistance?
                    vgruk pharmacy

Comment

as long as your output resistances are all comparable, then they are good. your looking for one output that does not match the others.
                      WHY CAN'T PHILIPS USE PHILLIPS HEAD SCREWS?

Comment

One output is 1.34Kohm nd the other is 1.26Kohm.The input is 0.2ohm. Is it good readings?
                        vgruk pharmacy

Comment

i don't think that it is enough to throw an error.

have you tested the ballast caps c301 and c304 and the lytics for the inverter circuit?
                          WHY CAN'T PHILIPS USE PHILLIPS HEAD SCREWS?

Comment

I have replaced all the electrolytic caps on the board. You mean the high voltage caps? No I haven't tested.I have already ordered the transformer, it will arrive tomorrow. Hope it will work.
                            vgruk pharmacy

Comment

Originally posted by GEORGIO1980 View Post
                              One output is 1.34Kohm nd the other is 1.26Kohm.The input is 0.2ohm. Is it good readings?
                              im sure ive read somewhere they can be up too 7-8% difference but no more it maybe even less hopefully a more experienced member will advise

Edit!!
                              just found this on another thread
                              I'm guessing the secondaries should read 950 ohm (this will vary for different transformers). If one secondary is 950ohm and the other is 750ohm, that would indicate a problem. A 4% variation or more in the secondaries suggests a bad transformer.
                              Last edited by vinceroger69; 09-28-2017, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Hello,returned to leave a feedback for the backlight problem.Today i replaced the inverter transformer TM-09210 and it works!!!!! I forgot to measure the ohms of the new transformer to compare the values but the result is that the old one is defective.
                                Thank you for your help.
                                vgruk pharmacy

Comment

Working...
                                X